Bugs n' ish

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

Bugs n' ish

Post by Zopharks »

I know fixes for some of the exploitable bugs in Giants are being implemented into the patch, but just out of curiosity, are any of the other bugs being looked at? Examples:

'Respawn' bug, you shoot someone, they appear to die, only to blink back into existence moments later. Happens most often with Shielders.

Baseview bug, sometimes in a basebuild game you get stuck in baseview, and cannot escape. No clue what causes this.

Ability to enter buildings by building something up against them.

Turrets that remain in the air after the tower/other building they were placed upon is destroyed.

Turrets that become invisible to some players, resulting in "Such and such wasn't carefull" or "Such and such commited suicide" type death messages.

And finally...

The rocket's direct hit death message is reversed (ie %K ate %V's missile)

Most of it isnt too major (since basebuild games are no longer always locked, the BB view bug isn't really too horrible) but it'd be kinda nice to have some of them resolved.
Tam
Sappho's Henchman

Re: Bugs n' ish

Post by Tam »

[NEO]Z0PharX wrote: Turrets that remain in the air after the tower/other building they were placed upon is destroyed.
You have not to fix that :!: Without this tip / trick the kabuto should be too strong vs the meccas.
And "flying turrets" are great, in my opinion.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

The respawn bug is my biggest concern. I think this is the cause of bad net coding, and other players' pings. If someone has a ping of 200, it takes 2 seconds for all of their actions to register into the game. If a player doesn't have enough health to withstand an incoming shot, but they use their shield or syringe during the last second before they get shot, that is when they respawn. Respawn only happens once for jetters, since they only have one syringe, but for the shielders, it can happen many times before they actually die. AND, while a player is in the process of 'respawning', they cannot take any damage from incoming missiles, which can be very annoying for the opponent.

Again, this bug is a netcoding and lag problem, so it might be impossible to remove. But if it's possible, I sure would appreciate it if it was indeed fixed.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Eh... I think its kinda weird seeing turrets floating around in the middle of the sky ;)
I think if the tower they're built on gets blown up, that they should also get destroyed.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Base Build, many times my smarties get either stuck or run around the same building before they do anything, it has happend on both gmm maps and normal maps. :?

[quote]Ability to enter buildings by building something up against them. [/quote]
I dont get this one.

[quote]Turrets that become invisible to some players, resulting in "Such and such wasn't carefull" or "Such and such commited suicide" type death messages.[/quote]
It has happend to me that if I place turrets for the reaper team and then switching to Mecc and then back, the towers and turrets arent visible. :?
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Rich, get a shop, or any other phouse building. With your back up against a large (shield gen/phouse) building, build it. You'll get pushed back inside of the building.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

oh is that a bug? I do it all the time when I repair a building :)
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

:?
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

Well, I don't see that bug as being so bad. The turret thing I would agree on though.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Well... The enter building bug can be exploited. =p
Nullpointer
Staff
Staff

Post by Nullpointer »

'Respawn' bug, you shoot someone, they appear to die, only to blink back into existence moments later. Happens most often with Shielders.
This is rather a synchronization issue than a game bug. This happens when your local Giants thinks the player lost all health but then the server reports the the player didn't die because he activated the shield neanwhile.
Baseview bug, sometimes in a basebuild game you get stuck in baseview, and cannot escape. No clue what causes this.
This is a bug even if PMS claim having fixed that (1.4 change list). Maybe this happens when you take damage or die while being in base view or someone else brings a smartie.

And the biggest net code issue: when there's a bad connection (lots of packet loss) player latency (greater than but in Giants not depending on ping) can grow up to half a minute. The effects are like cheats: you touch a shop, nothing happens, fly on and suddenly teleport back to shop; or you enter the enemy base, no one seems to shoot you because the damage comes back delayed by half a minute. A fix for this is planned, e.g. by simply kicking anyone with a latency > 1 second.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

And the biggest net code issue: when there's a bad connection (lots of packet loss) player latency (greater than but in Giants not depending on ping) can grow up to half a minute. The effects are like cheats: you touch a shop, nothing happens, fly on and suddenly teleport back to shop; or you enter the enemy base, no one seems to shoot you because the damage comes back delayed by half a minute. A fix for this is planned, e.g. by simply kicking anyone with a latency > 1 second.

One second seems a bit small, duncha think?[/quote]
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

one second is not too small, a ping of 200 doesnt mean a 2 second break does it?
i thought a ping of 1000 = 1 second lag.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

A ping of 1000 means 10 second lag... Warping and invisible rockets happen with pings of 300, sometimes even 200, because it takes a few seconds for the actions to register.
Pinchy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Pinchy »

More then 10 seconds. 60 ping = one second, 1000 ping = 16 seconds.