Mysteries, side quests, alternative methods in Giants?

Ask questions that relate to playing the game. Hardware / software issues do not belong here.

Moderator: Staff

rcgldr
Kabuto's Playtoy

Mysteries, side quests, alternative methods in Giants?

Post by rcgldr »

I had a few questions about the single player game and some apparent mysteries. Wondering if there were some abandoned plans for some levels.

In Queen Sappho's Palace, a base building level, in the prison area, way off to one side, there's a platform that takes Delphi to the top of a very tall column, where there's a shop that only seems to have a small amount of health. I never understood the purpose of this location, since it's so far off the main part of the map. I visit there after getting the party house and setting up a bunch of floating turrets so I can explore.

Also after completing Sappho's Palace level, in the find Sappho level (no AI characters), a few Smarties will remain in the party house, allowing you to setup turrets for the Sappho battle as long as you avoid the level trigger point.

In the steal the ReaperSki level, are you supposed to kill all the AI opponents in the final area before that barrier goes away? The barrier doesn't always prevent the ReaperSki from going through. There are also a few spots where the Reaper Ski can go over the walls. At the start of this level Yan mentions that it's the first time Delphi drives a ReaperSki, but in the previous base building level, Delphi could get a ReapeSki via the Party House. Any turrets Delpi setup will remain. Lastly if Delpi backtracks to the spell shop in the base, some AI opponents always spawn on the path to the left on the way back to the base.

I'll post more if I think of them.
Last edited by rcgldr on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcgldr
Kabuto's Playtoy

Re: Mysteries and side quests in Giants?

Post by rcgldr »

rcgldr wrote:In the steal the ReaperSki level, are you supposed to kill all the AI opponents in the final area before that barrier goes away?
That doesn't always work either. However, instead of doing this level via the normal path, Delphi can just back track to the base (or where the base would be if you've loaded a single player game at that level), then just walk up the ramp from the base side of the final barrier to end the level, (you don't need the reaper ski).

If doing this level the normal way, and the reaperski gets destroyed, or if Delphi can't get through the barrier, Delphi can turbo up on top of the tallest column inside the area (it's on the right when facing the final barrier, then turbo from there to the top of the wall surrounding the area, drop over the wall, then go to the far side of the barrier to end the level.

I also found out that for the flying Sea Reapers, Delphi can turbo at them, taking minimal damage and able to get occasional hits with her sword. It's best to do this in the water so Delphi continues to heal during this sequence.

The next time I mess with this, I'm going to try and get turrets inside that final area during the base building level by turboing over the tall walls, since they remain for the next level if you don't exit the game.
Basil versus Kabuto
In the final level, Basil versus Kabuto, there are some alternate methods to win, although they don't always work. One is to just back up at the start into the seam of the large gate. Sometimes Kabuto will just yell without jumping (or not jumping very often) and the level can be ended fairly easily. Another alternative but a bit more tricky is to get Basil up to where the volcano is. There's a sloped ledge on a seam, that helps, but sometimes a Kabuto jump will knock the player the rest of the way to that high level. Once there, Basil can go "into" the volcanoe, and Kabuto will usually go up there as well, fail to throw a few boulders (so you get pickups), the volcanoe then goes transparent, and Kabuto goes into a slow walking motion making it easy to take him out.
Mohamed
Kabuto's Playtoy

Re: Mysteries, side quests, alternative methods in Giants?

Post by Mohamed »

:o EXCELLENT :o
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

There are several areas on several maps that seem to just be there for show, the land around the final Reaper level being the most obvious.

In a review I watched recently, it was theorized that the game itself was merely meant to serve as a sort of tutorial for online multiplayer experiences. So while there was a story, you were moreso meant to learn how to build bases and utilize different weapons and spells so you could play online.