How is Giant: Citizen Kabuto related to Tribes 2?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

MajorLunaC
Kabuto's Playtoy

How is Giant: Citizen Kabuto related to Tribes 2?

Post by MajorLunaC »

I was wondering how exactly is Giant: Citizen Kabuto related to Tribes 2? I see you can copy the heightmap from Tribes 2 maps and I guess overall convert some from Tribes 2, and I see assets are 3dsmax compatible. Anything else? Why are things compatible?

Also, is there still some server listing system? Some of the custom-made ones here are missing links. Maybe a manual one that even just shows text on a site? I know Tribes 2 fans came up with the TribesNext alternate Master Server and authentication system, barely at that, but does Giant have something like that, especially after the GameSpy shutdown?
Tig
Yan the Pimp

Post by Tig »

Can't answer about the Tribes 2 question.

To play online you need the unofficial patch from the downloads section in order to connect to the global server. Then go to join online game and search for servers. You should see the giantswd.org server online. This is the only dedicated server and runs almost 24/7.
MajorLunaC
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by MajorLunaC »

I already have the GPatch1497F.exe , but for the only server I see, it just keeps trying to connect endlessly. Do I need to open some ports or something?
Tig
Yan the Pimp

Post by Tig »

Is that when you enter the server it never loads? Might mean your connection isn't strong enough. High ping etc usually loses connectiom before the map loads.
MajorLunaC
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by MajorLunaC »

According to the GiantsWD Server Browser, my ping is around 75 (65-75 when I ping the address directly). I see the other player pings on there as being more than twice that.

I opened udp and tcp ports 19711 , and it doesn't seem to help. How long does it take to connect, considering I've maxed out all settings and everything runs smoothly, and I have cable internet? I've waited 2-5 minutes with nothing but "Searching for Sessions...".

Do I maybe need port forwarding?
Mnich
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Mnich »

Have you tried to reinstall patch? Might help.
MajorLunaC
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by MajorLunaC »

I tried twice to reinstall the patch. The patch GPatch1497F.exe on the downloads page downloads with the following checksums (downloaded twice with same sums):

md5sum: 7d67995da35d5646834dbd2393ecb099

crc32c: f9825b31
Mnich
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Mnich »

Hmm. Maybe it's your firewall.
Tig
Yan the Pimp

Post by Tig »

Some antivirus might be blocking entrance. check your firewall and anti virus to allow acces. If you have any other mods running, like the graphical enhancement patch, you'll have to get rid of them.

P.S Sometimes the windows pop-up asking you to allow Giants entrance hides under the game screen, try alt-tab when you try to connect to the server.