(re)install problem

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Kubinwielki
Kabuto's Playtoy

(re)install problem

Post by Kubinwielki »

Hello everyone!

First I must tell you that my english isn't very well (should be 'cause I living in London for few years but, yeah, laziness in learning ;x). So - if there are some polish guys, maybe they can help me if I can't understand something.

Ok, let's rock...

Everything starts when I download "patch-level_6" - theoretically it should add new sixth level to Giants, but practically it's turn my game into bunch of crap :D

I have strange problem I didn't had before - when I'm reinstalling Giants everything is okay until installation reach 100%. You know - at 50% you must insert CD2 and then, after all installation, at 100% you must insert CD1 and when i do it... my computer it's restarting. Every single time when I'm trying reinstall giants.

When computer it's up again and I click on giants autorun, I haven't "install" option - only "play" but when I click it, I'm getting an error - "giants.exe not found" etc.

I've download giants.exe and put it in C:\Program Files\Giants (but this folder it seems to be a little bit too much empty [but still it's 1.08 GB]) and when I trying to play now, game looks like gonna works, but it ask me - "insert CD1 and try again" (when CD1 is already insterted, of course).

I don't know what to do :P I've clean up my registry, trying reinstall few times, but still the same problem shows up. I think it's could be autorun bug. Maybe if I disable automatic start of autorun it could be ok? But I don't know how to disable autorun :D

P.S: I have windows XP (but - as I said - I haven't this problem before).
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

If you manually (and completely) cleaned out your directory regarding Giants then I wouldn't know. I suppose you already tried different install locations/different partitions? It sounds strange to me that your entire PC would restart though, are you sure there's not some interfering application?

Also, what patch did you have active when you installed level 6?
Kubinwielki
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Kubinwielki »

Hmm... I feel like a retard because:
I suppose you already tried different install locations/different partitions?
- I didn't. Now i installed Giants at different path (same partition), and it works (I suppose - it doesn't restart my PC but I didn't start the game yet).

Maybe that was the problem or it's just lucky coincidence 'cause yesterday I installed LOTR:Online and some "trash" with it (service pack, directX and net framework) - maybe after this update Giants can run at old directory. Who knows :P
are you sure there's not some interfering application?
Yep. I'm sure. Something was wrong as hell but it must be Giant's or Daemon's fault.

Also, what patch did you have active when you installed level 6?
Latest - 1.497. Now I'm gonna install only 1.4 patch 'cause I wanna try GiantsHook and better textures.

Thanks for your help very much anyway! :D