Objects Etc.

Ask questions related to the tools or files used to create modifications for Giants. Examples include map making, gmm, and installing skins.

Moderator: Staff

Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Objects Etc.

Post by Puglin. »

Okay, so I just started on my first real map, and it's going fine-- it's an MvMvM, so I had to edit an already-existing map, since I have no idea how to make a 3-way Mecc fight from scratch.

Just learned how to place objects, and I'm making some towers hovering in the air in the middle of the map. However, I've only got that one kind of tower, model number 1041. I would rather have the kind of tower you can make as a mecc, the party house tower, as this current one looks stupid without any ground to sit on. Is this possible and if so what is the object number?

Also, is there any way to rotate an object vertically, so you could, say, flip it upside down?

Thanks.

*EDIT: AHA! I found how to rotate it vertically. Disregard the last question.

*EDIT 2: Another question. I remember in some maps, there were differences-- for example, I think I recall Exploderman's water map having blue smarties. How do you make this kind of thing happen? I'd like to change the look of Kabuto's base, but just for this one map.

And is there any way to edit the bases so they don't have walls?
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Re: Objects Etc.

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Puglin. wrote:Okay, so I just started on my first real map, and it's going fine-- it's an MvMvM, so I had to edit an already-existing map, since I have no idea how to make a 3-way Mecc fight from scratch.

Just learned how to place objects, and I'm making some towers hovering in the air in the middle of the map. However, I've only got that one kind of tower, model number 1041. I would rather have the kind of tower you can make as a mecc, the party house tower, as this current one looks stupid without any ground to sit on. Is this possible and if so what is the object number?

Also, is there any way to rotate an object vertically, so you could, say, flip it upside down?

Thanks.

*EDIT: AHA! I found how to rotate it vertically. Disregard the last question.

*EDIT 2: Another question. I remember in some maps, there were differences-- for example, I think I recall Exploderman's water map having blue smarties. How do you make this kind of thing happen? I'd like to change the look of Kabuto's base, but just for this one map.

And is there any way to edit the bases so they don't have walls?
About the blue smarties, is a skin that you put in the override folder (look at the skins section in the downloads). And for the last, yes, it is possible to make a base without walls. Each building is a seperate object you'll have to find, but i'm not sure if this will work in mecc team battles.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Well, actually, I haven't been able to make bases work at all so far. I have no idea how to put different bases on different teams. So far, I can only make one mecc base even belong to a team in the first place, the other ones are neutral.

Is there no handy tutorial for all this? I'd love to know how to make slopes and things, but...

Oh, also. Perhaps most importantly. How on earth do you know where to put the hills that go between the wall sections of a base?? And how do you add textures to everything?
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

I don't seem to have GE on my comp at the moment but there should be an object list included with one of the versions of it, if not, import a map that has the item you want and check the id of it yourself.

f10 (i think) toggles the model display mode, which will help you in placing bases and molding the terrain around them, f9 should toggle a grid that helps as well.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Hmm. So far as I can tell, F10 just shows me the scale of everything-- the bases are still represented as little red pyramids, so I have no idea where to put the hills. I'm running giants edit 5.43, if that makes a difference...? Also, all my bases and towers are black when I test the map. To fix this I just need to add textures, right? How can I do that?

Edit: Aha! When I go to enable "Draw real objects" the Giants Edit console appears and tells me:

ZipRead failed on file mecc_base_template_1.gbs

Error: Object 981 has model 981 but model was not found.

ZipRead failed on file mcbarrack.gbs

And so on and so forth for every single object I've placed on the map. I'm guessing this is why it isn't working right. How do I fix it? Is it related at all to the fact that I'm saving my maps in my "Worlds" folder rather than "Modpacks"?

Oh, also note, the object list that came with my Giants Edit isn't very... Complete. I want to know about all the obscure objects. I found a list on these forums which is much more thorough, though.
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

The obscure objects and textures appears when there's no sun. You need to place the sun first in order to have light on them. I think the object is 1004, but you need to put three, one with AI 1, another with AI 2 and the last with AI 3. The position of these 3 objects will derteminate if the light will be more or less bright. Just test it. But for some reason i couldn't get the sun over the sea level :( .
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

I added a sun-- it didn't do anything, I'm afraid. All my buildings are still jet black. And Giants Edit still can't find any of the models it needs.

Could it be because I don't actually have Giants installed? I'm running a *Whispers* completely cracked and hacked version which I use because you can run it off flashdrives on whatever computer you want without installing.

I'm starting to think I should just make what I can and then send it to someone for beautifying/hill-making.

Oh, and I can't playtest the map, probably for the same reason-- I have to host a multiplayer game with the map to test every tiny change.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

http://www.giantswd.org/?file=27

This guide shows you how to use GE. Some of it is from an earlier version, but will suffice for basic map editing.

When you get through that guide, then let us know what more you're trying to do with the map.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Thanks Falc! Buildings aren't black anymore. In fact, the new map's just about done, with vimps and a dactyl and everything.

It's not quite right, though. Is it okay if I upload a screenshot to get some suggestions?
The_General
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by The_General »

If you send me the .gck I can playtest it for you.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Just did. Cheers mate.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

OKAY, guys. Question. I'm making a map with a terrain "teleporter" inspired by Infinity7, and I was wondering if anyone knows any objects I could use just as a visual effect.

I was thinking, like, a glowing column or a beam of light.

I tried putting in those little smartie bubbles (object 848), but they didn't look very good. Basically, I need an object I can place that will visually represent a teleporter.

Suggestions?

Edit: At the moment I've got a stack of Teleport rings. It's looking pretty cool, but a beam of light would really look awesome...
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Puglin. wrote:OKAY, guys. Question. I'm making a map with a terrain "teleporter" inspired by Infinity7, and I was wondering if anyone knows any objects I could use just as a visual effect.

I was thinking, like, a glowing column or a beam of light.

I tried putting in those little smartie bubbles (object 848), but they didn't look very good. Basically, I need an object I can place that will visually represent a teleporter.

Suggestions?

Edit: At the moment I've got a stack of Teleport rings. It's looking pretty cool, but a beam of light would really look awesome...

Look at the map underground bases by existenZ. I think that this contains what you're looking for :wink: .
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Awesome, thanks mate!
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

... Okay, by this point I've made like, 5 finished maps. I won't share them all because most of them are kind of boring, but I am keen to upload some of the teleporting maps I've made. Anyone I can send them to?