Graphic issues after installing GRM and hooks thing

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Carpetninja
Kabuto's Playtoy

Graphic issues after installing GRM and hooks thing

Post by Carpetninja »

So, i went here, excited to see patches that fixed crashes ( and sofar they did :D really nice job on those) and i saw that you had the patches for better graphics etc. so i downloaded those too, and hooks too.

BUT now when i play the game, some textures are see through, not on buildings or the "ground" but on sides of hills and that kind of thing. only happens to the landscape, and it goes away when i disable bumpmapping, but, shouldnt bumpmapping be a good thing?

i find the graphics look all erm, bumpy, the lines stand out very clear and it looks wrong, might just be me being weird but i think it changed after the patch.

oh and, this doesnt happen from the "normal" viwpoint, but from the building menu the edge of the map goes all black, and on the map the actual level seems so, erm, cut out so to say, weird black edges etc.

sorry for the wall of text and my, probably, noobish questions
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

I don't think I've heard of this one happening before. Did you install patch 1.4 after installing GiantsHook or GRM by any chance? It should be installed first, as it will overwrite some files that GRM changes otherwise.
Carpetninja
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Carpetninja »

i installed patch 1.4 first, just as it said i had too, then GRM then hooks, but the order of grm and hooks is indifferent right? aslong as its after patch 1.4?
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Nope, the order that GRM and GiantsHook is installed in is irrelevant as long as it's after patch 1.4.

I'm afraid I have no idea what could be causing that. You could try reinstalling Giants and simply installing patch 1.4 and GiantsHook alone, or just the DirectX 8 renderer (which is almost certainly what fixed your crashes).

Are you using Windows Vista by any chance? I've heard that Nvidia cards had some issues with mipmapping under Vista in Giants at some point. Not sure if it's still an issue, but it could be causing the problem if it is.
Loop_Goose
Yan the Pimp

Post by Loop_Goose »

What videocard are you using ? have you tried using the latest or 2nd latest drivers for your videocard ?
Carpetninja
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Carpetninja »

Nope, im using windows xp.

using a radeon 9250 Video card, drivers up to date.