GiantsWD Dedicated Server -> changing maps and matchstyle

Rules, gametypes and questions will be posted here.

Moderator: Staff

Thundaikon
Kabuto's Playtoy

GiantsWD Dedicated Server -> changing maps and matchstyle

Post by Thundaikon »

Hello everyone.

Because of some internet-konfigurations I'm not able to create an internet-server with GameSpay Arcade for Giants.
Following to this I'am forced to play in a 1on1 match against my brother (via LAN) or to join, if existing, a server already created by someone.

I realy like the GiantWD Dedicated Server (thx 2 GiantsWD at this point) - but I'm tired of playing Mecc VS Mecc all the time.
For this reason i'd like to ask you - the GiantsWD Team - if you could switch the gametype to a three-way-match more often.
As well i'd like to ask if there is any chance to get some rights on the server (just switching gamestyle)... i realy understand if this is not possible, but who knows, perhaps you're right now looking for someone playing 3-5times a week checking the server or something like that :-)

cya
Thundaikon
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

xD

Sorry, but, you spelled konfigurations, I'am, thx, 2,and realy wrong.

Spelling asside, your problem lies with a router and/or firewall. You need to ''konfigure'' them to open ports. The one port I know that everyone says is port 19711. But, there is a little mystery of more than just one port to be opened. Some firewalls are more ''firewalled' so more than one might be required to be opened. Here is a link for all ports for Giants, Gamespy, GMM etc. Both UDP and TCP ports. Yes, you don't have to do all of these if the 19711 port is opened and everything works just ''peachy''.

Any sarcasm heard, please don't take it too seriously. Most of us here in the Giants community are very sarcastic 8)
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

I doubt hes 100% english

Anyway, the only non-mecc vs mecc game is Mecc vs Kabuto
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Like I explained to you in-game, we don't run Mecc vs. Reaper vs. Kabuto rotations on GWD due to balance issues with Reapers. We do have two Mecc vs. Kabuto rotations on the server, however. They run for less time than the Mecc vs. Mecc maps, but you should be able to catch an MvK game at some point.

I am working on a voting system for the server that will allow players to vote to end the map, however. If it's just you and your friend on the server, you should be able to end the game repeatedly until you get to a Mecc vs. Kabuto rotation once I finish up with that.
Exploderman wrote:Sorry, but, you spelled konfigurations, I'am, thx, 2,and realy wrong.
Don't be an ass. English obviously isn't his native language, but he speaks it well enough to be understood.
Last edited by Tasiin on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Most people seem to hate the MvK rotation we added. I like it but whenever I join when it's on MvK everyone just sits in the Mecc base messing around or asks me to switch it to MvM. :|

3way's very unbalanced, so it'll never be on the gwd rotation list, sorry.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Unless there's enough people, MvK can be unbalanced as well. No issue with me, but whenever I walk in a MvK, even if there's enough to fight kabuto, someone gets annoyed and leaves.

Because of that, the game gets harder and the rest eventually follow. Instead of repeatedly asking gwd to put 3 ways in their rotation, go to one of several 3 ways that are in the lobby in the daytime.

Currently I'm testing all the ports I have and once it's done, I'll make a list of the minimum that needs to be opened with most brands of routers and firewalls. This includes ports for gsa, giants, and gmm.

It will probably be done sometime next week if things go smoothly.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Uh. Let me save you the trouble.

TCP and UDP 19711
UDP 15000-16375
UDP 8911
Thundaikon
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Thundaikon »

Exploderman:
xD

Any sarcasm heard, please don't take it too seriously. Most of us here in the Giants community are very sarcastic
Hi.
Like Salazar said - I'm not 100% Englisch - I'm German - sorry for the mistakes (includes the following ones) :wink:

"configuration" in German: "Konfiguration"
"I'am" should have been "I'm"
"thx" means "thanks"
"2" means "to" also if it's spelled "two"

so far - thx (thanks) for corrections 8)

Vortex:
Most people seem to hate the MvK rotation we added. I like it but whenever I join when it's on MvK everyone just sits in the Mecc base messing around or asks me to switch it to MvM. Neutral
I've played for a long time now and the match yesterday night between you, Tasin and me - more between you and Tasin :wink: - was actually the hardest match ever seen. I for myself don't remember any match someone was good enough to stand his ground against Kabuto...most of them play just now and then.
Also, if one team is much better than another one, many players switch the team gratuitously until it's fair again.
I understand your arguments against Reapers - but i think they only work with professional players like you and tasin - in a normal match with for example one Reaper, some Meccs and Kabuto in most cases it's fair caused by the moderate level of the players. :roll:

At last thanks to you for the help - but I've absolutely no clue how to configure those port things...
also: is it the same if you live in Europe or America?

cya -> "see you" for Exploderman and the sarcastic ones between us :wink:
Thundaikon
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Thundaikon wrote:I for myself don't remember any match someone was good enough to stand his ground against Kabuto...most of them play just now and then.
but those same people are generally the ones playing kab, too. I don't know about you, but in an MvK game I'd rather be a bad mecc than a bad kab, because there's always a chance someone on my team isn't.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Thundaikon wrote:Exploderman:
xD

Any sarcasm heard, please don't take it too seriously. Most of us here in the Giants community are very sarcastic
Hi.
Like Salazar said - I'm not 100% Englisch - I'm German - sorry for the mistakes (includes the following ones) :wink:

"configuration" in German: "Konfiguration"
"I'am" should have been "I'm"
"thx" means "thanks"
"2" means "to" also if it's spelled "two"

so far - thx (thanks) for corrections 8)

cya -> "see you" for Exploderman and the sarcastic ones between us :wink:
Thundaikon
lol
I know what all the little words like ''cya'' and ''thx'' mean. I just don't like it some times when others, including myself, spell wrong or have bad grammer.

I assumed you knew English well enough to know how to spell correctly without any of the ''thx'' type of terms. But other than that, I'm sorry. 8)
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

Hey Tasiin, ever considered running a MvK game with the MvRvK World lll?

The one that looks like the base build level of the Mecc singleplayer game?
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

We initially decided to leave it out of the rotations because we felt it might be a bit hard on players new to Kabuto. There are lots of sniping positions on that map that are either difficult or impossible to reach as Kabuto.

I might consider replacing one of the existing rotations with Lost World, though. I won't be adding more than two Mecc vs. Kabuto rotations, so one of the others will have to go.
dietofeelalive
Yan the Pimp

Post by dietofeelalive »

Hey. Can we not get rid of some of the Reaper spells like we did with Mecc sniper to make it more balanced. We dont even have to completely remove spells just decrease amount of spell use.

For example the Slow Time Spell can be done 3 times. Instead of that can we make it so u can only pick up 1 or 2 time spells and essentially removing a slot. Same goes for all the other spells, until balance is reached.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

No. You can only disable weapons, not limit the amount of ammunition available for them server-side. If that could be done, I might actually consider adding rotations with Reapers.

Barring that though, they're simply far too unbalanced. With their spells, they're too powerful. Without them, they'd be weaker than any of the other races.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Then you have to decide which spells make them powerful and organize it that way. The most powerful spells in my opinion, are the cluster, time-slow, cloak, and follow.

Everything else including the power-up bow can be fought with. You can disable 1 or 2 of those and the reapers won't have a huge advantage with their spells; just enough to defend themselves.

All that leaves is their sword, in which you can take something else out to balance that too. But, just because I'm saying they can be balanced, doesn't mean I want to play a hord of reapers as a mecc.