Please Lower Packet loss rate

Rules, gametypes and questions will be posted here.

Moderator: Staff

dietofeelalive
Yan the Pimp

Please Lower Packet loss rate

Post by dietofeelalive »

Make packet loss= 50. Please.. There are a few 56kers now, who have absolutely horrible ping, and lag like HELL. Lag for 56k is Unbearable unlike Broadband lag .But they never gets kicked for some reason. I dont know if its delayed packet loss or something.
Please help.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Die, listen: Do you want more noobs to play or do you want someone to kill less and hear about it more? Cause' I prefer the ''more noobs to play'' better than ''Hay! You finally killed me! omg! is that a rip-off or what??''
Riku
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Riku »

lol dont make it 50 cause then i will be gone in like a minute of play.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Die, realize now that you will be kicked sooner too, being that you can lose about 55 packets in an hour and 10 min from when I last heard. Dividing your play down to about 40 min.

As for me, 4 minutes on a good day, I'm not sure if that's enough to spawn into the game :cry: .
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

100 seems fine to me as it is. If I had the time, I'd just code in a ping kicker to deal with people like that, but this is enough to take care of the extremely laggy players.
dietofeelalive
Yan the Pimp

Post by dietofeelalive »

Hey exploder...lol...when did i say people with 56k are newbs..LOL....you inferred that part i'm guessing. But yea... maybe 50 isnt such a good idea after all. I would get kicked every 20 mins or so.

Damn Falcoz, 4 minutes per kick, thats brutal. I bet your like ..." 3 mins, 2 mins, 1 min, 0 min... "why am i not getting kicked..maybe my connetion fixed itself"..... "YOUR REMOVED FROM THE GAME" ..."Ah there it is".

I had that waiting to be kicked feeling Man, when i had Horrible 56k connection. LOL

Tas how hard is it to code it. I can do it for you if you'd like.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

dietofeelalive wrote:Hey exploder
Hay Die
dietofeelalive wrote:...lol...when did i say people with 56k are newbs
They tend to be. Theres a bigger ratio of noobs with bad connection than noobs with good connections.
dietofeelalive wrote:..LOL....you inferred that part i'm guessing.
No, don't think I did.
dietofeelalive wrote:But yea... maybe 50 isnt such a good idea after all. I would get kicked every 20 mins or so.
And Your the one who suggested 50 packets.
dietofeelalive wrote:Damn Falcoz, 4 minutes per kick, thats brutal. I bet your like ..." 3 mins, 2 mins, 1 min, 0 min... "why am i not getting kicked..maybe my connetion fixed itself"..... "YOUR REMOVED FROM THE GAME" ..."Ah there it is".
I wouldn't be laughing Die...
dietofeelalive wrote:I had that waiting to be kicked feeling Man, when i had Horrible 56k connection. LOL
You should've done what FalcoZ does: Kill as many people as possible before the next kick.
dietofeelalive wrote:Tas how hard is it to code it. I can do it for you if you'd like.
Its not hard to code, from waht I heard...
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

dietofeelalive wrote: Tas how hard is it to code it. I can do it for you if you'd like.
No, you can't.
Exploderman wrote: Its not hard to code, from waht I heard...
Yes, it is.

Writing the loss kicker directly into Giants.exe was extremely simple because it only looks at the total number of packets you've dropped and doesn't do anything more complex like calculating averages (which would be necessary for a ping kicker, unless you want to be instantly kicked if your ping happens to spike one millisecond above the limit for a half second). Doing something like that would probably require a DLL hook, which is more than I'm willing to do at the moment.
Last edited by Tasiin on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Feel free to bust out with your mad x86 assembly skilzZzZ and send us some enhancements for GWD, we'd gladly take any that we found to be worth while.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Exploderman wrote:You should've done what FalcoZ does: Kill as many people as possible before the next kick.
3 or 5, normally. My ping spikes to high ping sometimes, but you can probably set the time limit to about 2 minutes, giving leeway to regulate

Wouldn't the program use a command to check the the ping instead of inputing complicated code to average calculations out? But I think that means you have to ping simultaneously.
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

I can play for about 2 hrs or so before I get kicked out

Hey, I got really bored after school. .

Eventually, as technology progresses, ppl aren't gonna have 56k as much and more ppl will have high speed internet
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

DarkFalcoz wrote:Wouldn't the program use a command to check the the ping instead of inputing complicated code to average calculations out? But I think that means you have to ping simultaneously.
Tasiin was talking about making the game itself do the ping kicking, just as he made the game do the loss kicking. No external programs involved.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Like I said, I wrote the loss kicker directly into Giants.exe itself. That means I have extremely limited space to work with as no new code can be added, any new additions have to replace something -- and I have to write the entire thing in assembly, which is a bit of a chore for anything more complex than that.

A DLL hook would solve both problems, but given the amount of time it would take and the number of people currently playing Giants, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Sorry.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Sooooooooo, the ping kicker is cancelled(for now. I think. Maybe not), loss kicker is gonna stay at 100, and we all know now what Tas actually DID when doing the whole ''100 packet loss kicker'' thing. Well, I'll tell ya what, I learned something today 8)
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Ok so it could be done without adding a DLL. I'm just wondering how it works, thanks. But about the .exe, how come your not able to add any space?

I don't know much pertaining to DLL's, but shoulldn't there be some way to add space?