GRM1.0 Released (readme and screenshots)

Ask questions related to the tools or files used to create modifications for Giants. Examples include map making, gmm, and installing skins.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

GRM1.0 Released (readme and screenshots)

Post by Zopharks »

Graphical Revision Mod
Version 1.0

Contents:

1a - Introduction
1b - Content Description
1c - Override information
1d - Frequently Asked Questions
1e - Additional Support
1f - Credits

1a: Introduction

GRM is an enhancement mod for Giants: Citizen Kabuto. It is an attempt to improve upon the game's now dated graphics in as many ways as possible. GRM may not be sold either by itself, or as part of a compilation of any sort.*

1b: Content Description

GRM consists of several components, as explained below:

Core files: Installs 175+ high resolution textures, adds modified explosion effects, tweaked LoD settings for various models, dynamic and/or high resolution shadows for various objects and creatures, and allows several previously unused creatures to be pathable in maps.

Enhanced Weapon Trails: Replaces the standard single colored dynamic weapon trails with newer flashier trails. May reduce performance.

Weather Support: Allows standard (non GeForce3) versions of Giants to display weather effects.

Singleplayer Weather: Adds weather effects to singleplayer maps.

Multiplayer Weather: Adds weather effects to some multiplayer maps.

The GeForce3 Giants Compatability option is for users who have GeForce3 Giants. The installer will automatically install the fix if it detects you have GF3 Giants.

1c: Override Information
During the installation process, the installer may warn you that your override folder has been renamed to OverrideBak. Because the new textures are installed into the /giants/bin directory in a gzp (A-GRM1.GZP), having files in the override directory will override the new textures installed by GRM. You can restore your override directory at any time - This is done soley to simplify troubleshooting due to the fact that GRM changes which textures some models use.

1d: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I get blue screens with the text 'failed to create texture'
A: You have an authentic copy of GF3 Giants. An additional patch will be released alongside GRM to fix this.

Q: Giants runs poorly now that I've installed GRM.
A: Upgrade your computer - or reinstall Giants. Also, try setting shadows to low, or disable them completely.

Q: Giants runs poorly now that I've installed the enhanced weapon trails.
A: See above. The new weapon trails are one of the more system intensive portions of GRM.

Q: Can GRM be uninstalled?
A: Backup all bin files in \Giants\Bin\ prior to installing. If you decide you don't like GRM, place them back into the bin folder, and delete the GRM gzp.

1e: Troubleshooting

GRM consists of well over two hundred files, thus it is possible that some users may run into trouble in some way or another. If GRM causes your copy of Giants to become unstable in any way, please tell us. Additionally, if you use the -deberr command line, Giants will output additional debugging information that allows us to fix bugs with much greater ease.

Please post all queries and requests for help in the Technical Support board at the www.GiantsWD.com forum.

1f: Credits

Tasiin: Bin work
Vortex: Texture mill
Z0PharX: Installer monkey
Nullpointer: Tool creation
SSJBardock: Tool creation
Vincent: Testing
King: Testing
Pinchy: Testing

END!

*Added because some douchebag is selling Tasiin's GSM mod for Frelancer on an FL Mod Compilation CD. LoL.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Last edited by Tasiin on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

Neato.

(Yeah, yeah, one-word reply. 'Tis better than the screaming of enthusiasm undoubtly following after this post.)
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

STEELIX wrote:'Tis better than the screaming of enthusiasm undoubtly following after this post.)

I think it looks awesome. <3 you guys. Now all I need is a betetr computer ^_^
{AFTA}Delmag
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by {AFTA}Delmag »

Just for you Steelix :
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Thou beings of NEO's clans undoubtely are skilled!

Seriously, great jobs guys! Two Thumbs Up and Big Toes as well :lol: !
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

I love credits members.
Gentle
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Gentle »

I read the instructions about posting here...

I have a question.

I was playing Mecc Chapter 5, Level 2 "Battle".

The game becomes sluggish and then clears up. Then it becomes totally unresponsive.

This has happened the 3 times I got to this section.

It occurs relatively late in the scenario, so you might need to put a good 20-30 minutes on it. I think it occurs somewhere after the fourth vimp meat pickup.

Jim
Gentle

P.S. I am using a Geforce3 Patch, and told the installer I was using the Geforce3 Patch, but I am using a Geforce 6600GT AGP.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Gentle - This doesn't seem to be a GRM related problem as I have been unable to duplicate it on my own GeForce 3 installation of Giants. Are you sure that this was actually working before you installed GRM?

Also, the GeForce 3 Compatability option doesn't have anything to do with your video card, it simply prevents "Failed to create texture" errors from showing up for people with either the GeForce 3 patch downloadable from this site or the original GeForce 3 version that shipped with some ELSA GF3s back in 2002.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Keep the posts on topic for this thread, please. If you really need to argue over something that silly, there are plenty of other threads to do that in in General Chat.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

it could be more behind this problem then just the game, grahic card and mod - how long ago did you format, use scandisk & defrag.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

I think there might be a conflict between one of my maps (that Ive tried) and the grm mod.

http://web.telia.com/~u60000325/MvM%20- ... %20Pit.gck
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Can you elaborate please? What exactly is the conflict?
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

just loaded it up, took a good look around and killed everything. Didn't encounter anything odd. What are we supposed to be looking for?

I'm not using all of GRM's files however, so could you tell us which boxes you checked in the installer?
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

before (around 6 months ago) I didnt have the grm installed and I had no problem hosting and people joining that map, in this case it seem to be hard for others except the host of course to play the map without loosing connection and to have it kinda stable to play that map you have to wait until the map has loaded for everyone, playing alone and you wont see the thing im refering to. nothing has changed when it comes to hardware and software.. everything is as it was 6 months ago. if this is only for this map then who cares but if all my maps are affected then it will be hard for my maps to survive even now people find playing gmm maps not so fun as it is to play V.Small for obvious reasons.. good thing is that since the grm mod my comp has stopped freezing as much as it did before I started using it so thumbs up + :)
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

A lot of stuff can change over six months, whether you do it intentionally or not. I really don't think GRM has anything to do with one single GMM map crashing, as nothing we changed should cause that. Given all the other problems you have with Giants, I think it's safe to say that it's not a problem with the mod. Regardless, I would try reinstalling Giants and seeing if the problem persists without anything other than the 1.4 patch installed - if it doesn't, reinstall GRM and see if it crashes.