Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

404 exterminated!

Post by CrapHeap »

A friend of mine messed the github link up and found this one:
https://github.com/CrapHeap/Giants-2
This should be the link you're looking for...
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Hello!!!

Post by CrapHeap »

mIchanix96 wrote:You really want make giants 2??? Ask me for a ideas.

P.S. I from Russia, my language skill is :cry:
All ideas can be dumped on the idea board:
http://www.giantswd.org/forum/viewtopic ... 3517#23517
Anything else can be put on this topic.
mIchanix96
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by mIchanix96 »

say what you use a programming language compiler
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

mIchanix96 wrote:say what you use a programming language compiler
I'm using c++ with the mingw gcc (or g++) compiler and the codeblocks IDE.

ps: consider using a translate program next time you post :P
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

sooo..

Post by Depeus »

so far so good?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: sooo..

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:so far so good?
not really, I have just discovered Vietcong online coop mode so I don't have much time left to program :(
Bebiseal
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Bebiseal »

Every time i open this topic it reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBiSI6OdqvA

:wink:
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

It's been 3 months, and I am not impressed.
Not that I was that optimistic to begin with.
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

Xentek wrote:It's been 3 months, and I am not impressed.
Not that I was that optimistic to begin with.
Haha what do you expect? Just modding a game takes months so think how much time it would take to make a game from scratch. Plus there are no full time developers so if you want to keep it realistic then it will take a couple of years.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

My point is that this isn't a serious project. All that has been posted so far is about 2 pages of "I'll release 0.infinitezero1 at x", followed by a non working exe. Can't help but get the feeling people are just getting bullshitted.

So how I see it, this project is a joke and all in all, a big waste of time. The chances of this actually being worth playing are next to zero.
Go make some decent maps, skins, tools or whatever for the game that we have and already know is good and people actually play and want to play.
If this ammount of half-assed effort could be put into attracting people that have only known singleplayer into the community, we'd have something a lot more tangible let alone useful than this pile of spam.

But I have to admit, looking at some noobs spout gamebreaking ideas like "NO SNIPER DELAY" is sort of funny at least.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Xentek wrote:My point is that this isn't a serious project. All that has been posted so far is about 2 pages of "I'll release 0.infinitezero1 at x", followed by a non working exe. Can't help but get the feeling people are just getting bullshitted.

So how I see it, this project is a joke and all in all, a big waste of time. The chances of this actually being worth playing are next to zero.
Go make some decent maps, skins, tools or whatever for the game that we have and already know is good and people actually play and want to play.
If this ammount of half-assed effort could be put into attracting people that have only known singleplayer into the community, we'd have something a lot more tangible let alone useful than this pile of spam.

But I have to admit, looking at some noobs spout gamebreaking ideas like "NO SNIPER DELAY" is sort of funny at least.
-The .exe works for some people, it probably needs some sort of framework which is not standard included in windoze so blame micro$oft if something doesn't work
- Believe it or not, this is not a joke.
- I never said this would be playable.

gotta go now, more later :)
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

Xentek wrote:Go make some decent maps, skins, tools or whatever for the game that we have and already know is good and people actually play and want to play.
Modding will not add to anything. There are already hundreds of maps that people never play. It's the gameplay that needs change and for that you need the source code, not some hacks. Plus I find it hard to make any apps for something when there is no clean API for the engine(as it's based on hacks).
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

First of all, there is not a single stock 3way map hosted on either of the 24/7 dedicated servers.
Secondly, 95% of the maps on this site are just sh**, or themed maps which aren't pratical for actual fights. This is mainly because the maps that aren't themed, are usually forced into the world in less than a week with maybe 5 hours of work in them.

That said, what exactly is wrong with the unique gameplay of Giants? The only thing that can be said is that Reaper spells may need some tuning. Which I believe is happening in 1.5 anyway.

I was curious about the project at first, but more and more it just seems "Ima do this and that! Oh wait! Something went wrong, nevermind!/I like doing other stuff!" whenever some self-set deadline comes up. I can respect it takes forever for one person to make a game, but with what has been come up so far, I don't feel CrapHeap is taking this project seriously, so I can't either.

Which then brings me to something that I actually care about, and has kept this game around for (coming up to) 11 years: the community. Without that, this project would be beyond pointless. But no effort or interest is actually being put into it by anyone 'supporting' this project. This game would be dead without Tasiin and Accusnoetn making an effort to extend the lifespan of this game.

Thus far they have succeeded; I can say a lot of people would've quit without the 1.5 BETA releases, and a lot of (new) players wouldn't have bothered with Gamespy Arcade to play under 1.4. Try making this game more worthwile, attracting more players to play online and take part in the community that has been around for as long as the game has (which doesn't even have to mean more than advertising this game to your friends).

Just my two cents.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Xentek wrote: ...

I was curious about the project at first, but more and more it just seems "Ima do this and that! Oh wait! Something went wrong, nevermind!/I like doing other stuff!" whenever some self-set deadline comes up. I can respect it takes forever for one person to make a game, but with what has been come up so far, I don't feel CrapHeap is taking this project seriously, so I can't either.

You have a point somewhere, output has been a little messed up but don't forget I don't have the time to work on something like this full time, or even half time.
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Xentek wrote:My point is that this isn't a serious project. All that has been posted so far is about 2 pages of "I'll release 0.infinitezero1 at x", followed by a non working exe. Can't help but get the feeling people are just getting bullshitted.

I could not agree with you more.