Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Giants 2 anyone?

Post by CrapHeap »

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if somebody will sue me if I (try to) make a sequel to Giants.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

If you really want to know, you should check who owns the rights, what the rights envelop; and if needed for your intents and purposes, ask for permissions.

But you can also think about this: why wouldn't someone sue you for making a GCK game?
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Yes, sadly "why wouldn't we" seems to be the motive behind most copyright issues. Or lawsuits in general. :D
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Would it still be a GCK game if I changed the name to "otubak nezitic stnaig" :) ?
Anyway, I'll try to contact planet moon to see what they say.
I really hope they don't mind, would be fun to have a non-cod like game again :) .
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Spelling giants citizen kubuto backwards might resolve the legal issues, but a game with the title "otubak nezitic stnaig" wouldent sell at all unfourtunetly. :(
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

How serious is this idea of 'making a sequel' anyway?

Regardless what PMC has to say, what developing/programming/writing etc experience do you have? What engine would you like to use? Any solid ideas for gameplay, missions? - and so on.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

@[ION]Nagadkcin:
I have no intention to sell it, even considering opensource. If I made it commercial it would only be pirated.

@Xentek:
I was thinking of making some levels almost identical to the original using the Irrlicht game engine (irrlicht.sourceforge.net). I think I have the needed skills to write something like that (not sure about the moddeling/texturing, however), the only reason I haven't made another game before is that I seem to lose intrest in something after I write the hello world :)

will be continued.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Have you considdered simply making an expansion pack for gck rather than an entire new game?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

I think making an expansion would be very difficult without the original source code. I could of course decompile the game, but that would feel sort of... illegal :p.
also, I have been writing hello-worlds in irrlicht for some time now, so I am used to it.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

I just found someone willing to do the pathfinding ai!
This could just become a real game someday :P
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Is there any way do decompile it without planet moon(which is now a division of bigpoint) of knowing? then you wouldent need a new AI or have to createyour own 3D files/ bitmaps. Also I think I remenber when olden macgroin(one of the programers of gck) was here, he talked about a source code which had somthing to do with the game's vital functions, which he would be willing to hand over. Heres' the link to the post: http://www.giantswd.org/forum/viewtopic ... ight=#8427
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

I think it would be possible to decompile giants without planet moon knowing, the problem is that most decompilers/reverse engineering tools will only be able to produce source code if they know what processor/compiler/programming language/etcetera were originally used.
Another option is to hack planet moon's pc's and retrieve the code from there, which may sound fun but is a little more illegal than I would like it to be.

About the post you linked to:
Olden macgroin seems to have left this community, or at least didn't post anything since 2004 :(.
I also think, as this is the biggest (or at least the only one known to me) GCK mod site, it would be no problem to get to the models and bitmaps.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

True, When do you intend to begin work on the game, If you need any help on the targa/bmp files( especialy If you want new skins for the HUD, weapons, and chareters ect.) just give me a buzz, I'l be more than happy to asist in the creation of a Sequel to GCK.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

now that's the spirit!
I will begin coding Friday evening or Saturday morning, depending on how creative I feel.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Where will you begin?