LAN Open to the Internet?

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Stackhouse
Kabuto's Playtoy

LAN Open to the Internet?

Post by Stackhouse »

Greetings, folks. Long-time lurker and OG Giants player; it remains one of my favorite multiplayer PC games of all time.

Something interesting happened while I was introducing my kids to the game, and perhaps some of you were there to see it.

I set up a three-box LAN, hosted a game called "Jason", and invited the kids in to play. The two five-year-olds were playing as "Chaz", the eight-year-old "Zachary", and myself as "Stackhouse".

That's boring, unless you're us. What happened next is, three strangers from outside the LAN joined the game.

Now, I had just set up a VPN between my place and an old friend's in the Midwest with the intent of playing and thought it was her and her family. No dice.

So...

It was fun, and you're all welcome to play again, but I'm curious. Are LAN sessions broadcast by the in-game browser, now?

Anyway, it broke my lurker-shell.

Oh, and MRHAPPY? You play a mean Kabuto, sir. :)
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

As of the 1.479 patch, all games of any sort, lan or net, are are joinable at any time by anyone, with the exception of build base game, wich all players must begin the battle at the same time.
Stackhouse
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Stackhouse »

Ah, thank you. Nice running into you the other night, btw.

Nagadkcin wrote:As of the 1.479 patch, all games of any sort, lan or net, are are joinable at any time by anyone, with the exception of build base game, wich all players must begin the battle at the same time.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Just a small correction: since 1.49 you can join basebuild games when they have already started unless the host has decided to block new players from joining (which can also be switched on/off during the match).