Gamespy Requried for online?

Post questions and comments related to hosting regular servers or dedicated servers.

Moderator: Staff

Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Gamespy Requried for online?

Post by Nagadkcin »

Hi, I have been playing giants online for a while and I have just been using the "search for lan and net games" button and it seems to work well. what are the avantages to using gamespy vs. just searching?
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Before the 1.497 patch, Gamespy was useful to find games that are hosted. Using the search button did not work unless you had the exact ip of the server you were trying to connect to or the server was on your network.

Now post 1.497 patch, you can use the search button exclusively and don't have to use Gamespy to find games. Alternaively, you can use a program called ChateX to find or host games.

Essentially, you can get by without installing Gamespy to play giants.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Alright!, thanks for the info. Running 2 programs at once didn't seem pratical, also it saves my window key from too much abuse.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

The main benefit of using Gamespy Arcade or ChateX is the fact you have a chat lobby where you can meet up and maybe scheduel games.

That said, ChateX is a program that takes up about 750kb of disk space, does not require installation and is frequented almost exclusively by fellow Giants players. Also, you won't have to start up the game each time to check if anyone is playing; I'd say it's worth checking out.