New York (BETA) release 24/09/09

Ask questions related to the tools or files used to create modifications for Giants. Examples include map making, gmm, and installing skins.

Moderator: Staff

Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

New York (BETA) release 24/09/09

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Well, at least that's what the administrator told me. It will be next thursday. I'll talk about the map : this is my first created map and is a super big Mecc vs Kabuto (Meccs spawn at Battery Park and Kabuto spawns next to Empire State like if he was King Kong rather than Godzilla. Smarties all spawn at the WTC plaza so there's aproximately the same distance from them for both teams.), the biggest map you will ever see in Giants, cause NY is damn big :D . The "world" of Giants is so small that only could fit at least 1/6 of Manhattan island touching the terrain at the dome south to north. I've spend weeks to do the map, even probably a month. One of the things i've done is using Google Earth to make some areas as close as possible like the area of the WTC, Times Square, etc. and then calculate the height between the buildings. In my really first attempt to make this version of the map the WTC area was the first done, thought was the last thing improved. One of the Towers was firstly done with different objects so there were trully 110 stories Mecc scaled, and the first six floors contained the original facade and core very well done i have to say. But due to object limit number (they say that you can have 1024 objects per map, but i had less than 500 and started to have the issue) that cause the newest objects to disappear ingame this was deleted and replaced for another object that form's actually the tower still being 110 stories. The Empire State building was very difficult to do because it contains lot's of the same type of object at different sizes and positions and his structure is not easy to remember so i had to see images of it to make it have the exactly same structure. It is like the Twin Towers trully 89 stories and the spire with the observation deck at trully 102th floor. Both Empire State and Twin Towers are so tall that you cannot reach the top of them with the gyrocopter. To fix this problem inside the lobby of the South Tower there's a portal that let's you at the "Top of the World" observation deck, and for the Empire State there's an entrance looking north that contains another portal that let's you instantaneously at the 102th floor observation deck. But here it goes the problems, just because perfection doesn't exist:

1-if you are at the observation decks for some reason you cannot teleport down so you will have to go down manually but i've you manage well with the improved jetpack you'll only gain a very small amount of damage.

2- the minimap: when you push the minimap button you'll see the map black and the dome ! if you zoom in the map looks normal.

3-Some objects of the Twin Towers and the Brooklyn bridge seems to disappear at very long distances.

4-For some reason via giants edit couldn't change the sun's height so it's not visible in the map, only effects. HellSnake will fix that for the final version.

Note please that the Twin Towers and Empire State are mostly done with objects that in 1.5 patch are destructable, so please avoid damaging and destroying them if you want to keep the gameplay and you don't want to see floating objects in middair, i'm not joking, that's very important.

And finally i want to say that the map is done with a lot of work, and HellSnake helped (and still helping me a lot for the final version) me with things that thought there weren't possible.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Re: New York (BETA) release 24/09/09

Post by Exploderman »

Giants_Gamer32 wrote:Note please that the Twin Towers and Empire State are mostly done with objects that in 1.5 patch are destructable, so please avoid damaging and destroying them if you want to keep the gameplay and you don't want to see floating objects in middair, i'm not joking, that's very important.
So, what your saying is, we can blow up the Twin towers and Empire State building? If you make a tallaban mecc skin and move the smartie spawn inside the towers, we could fly the gyros right through it and make the smarties fall from the destruction.....
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by HellSnake »

Exploderman wrote:
Giants_Gamer32 wrote:Note please that the Twin Towers and Empire State are mostly done with objects that in 1.5 patch are destructable, so please avoid damaging and destroying them if you want to keep the gameplay and you don't want to see floating objects in middair, i'm not joking, that's very important.
So, what your saying is, we can blow up the Twin towers and Empire State building? If you make a tallaban mecc skin and move the smartie spawn inside the towers, we could fly the gyros right through it and make the smarties fall from the destruction.....
yes, you can blow up twin towers....
:twisted:
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

HellSnake(NL) wrote:
Exploderman wrote:
yes, you can blow up twin towers....
:twisted:
I suppose that you know what happens if you do that. You'll see "ghost" towers (you can blow up the wall but not the corners and the top, so you'll still see the silhouette of the Towers). It make's the area very ugly :( .
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Think you're both missing the point.....
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by HellSnake »

Exploderman wrote:Think you're both missing the point.....
what, that u want to play a angry muslim? :lol:
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

HellSnake(NL) wrote:
Exploderman wrote:Think you're both missing the point.....
what, that u want to play a angry muslim? :lol:
Remember that the final version is in your hands.
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Map is up!