Giants: Citizen Kabuto 1.5 (no, really)

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

Mecch:
* Able to carry more flares (to balance out the homing/power bow from the reapers).
What could be interesting in term of gameplay would be to allow meccs to cary flares, grenades, mines and a syringe at the same time. As for shielding for example, it could lead to develop new strategies. On the other hand, it's maybe hard enough to kill an experimented shielder with only 3 types of item.

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice to be able to configure the ports used by multiplayer Giants games (.ini file for instance), or at least the most important one. I'm behind a firewall, and I can't forward ports.

What I would greatly appreciate to see fixed is the bug of the laggy trajectories of flying meccs. I hope you know what I mean. The respawn fix was a great improvement. The next step could be this.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Glude wrote:What could be interesting in term of gameplay would be to allow meccs to cary flares, grenades, mines and a syringe at the same time..
I think this would further imbalance fights between shielders and jetters... allowing all four items to be used at once would allow shielders to enhance their defense vs proxies (mines), vs homers (flares), their mobility (grenades), and their health (syringe) - whereas currently they have to pick one area that won't be strengthened (which typically comes down to deciding between flares and mines).

Just my thought on the matter.
Donvito
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Donvito »

This looks promising, guess it's time to start playing again against my brother.
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

The ability to drop items without killing yourself?

Also, theres a bug (or feature..?) where if you set a pop-up-bomb, and then switch teams, that bomb will destroy all enemy buildings (I'm not sure if non-PH items are included), a traitors dream, eh?

I suggest that switching teams immediately negates all actions that were done right before switching, like setting a bomb.

I don't know the origin of this bug, but sometimes, while playing MP, if I destroy a PH building (well, first off, the small green defensive force field doesn't show up when I being shooting), and that object is destroyed, it returns in about 30 seconds. Continously destroying the object (or using a pop-up-bomb), will fix the bug, but thats horribly inconvient. Especially when I'm trying to put turrets in the air and the towers won't stay destroyed.

Thats all I have to say on the issue at the moment. Glad to see the games alive, and I see some very old faces.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

You're right Z0P, although carrying mines is useful for jetters too. I didn't even consider the jet vs shield problem, as in my mind there is no chance for the jetter :P
Ammar
Yan the Pimp

Post by Ammar »

Z0PharX wrote:
Glude wrote:What could be interesting in term of gameplay would be to allow meccs to cary flares, grenades, mines and a syringe at the same time..
I think this would further imbalance fights between shielders and jetters... allowing all four items to be used at once would allow shielders to enhance their defense vs proxies (mines), vs homers (flares), their mobility (grenades), and their health (syringe) - whereas currently they have to pick one area that won't be strengthened (which typically comes down to deciding between flares and mines).

Just my thought on the matter.
I agree but it would actually be nice if jetters could receive all 4 items. To be honest, I am all for having the shield be just as good as any other powerup since that's what BALANCE means (all you shield people with ego need to reexamine your brains). Now while I don't think shielding needs to be nerfed (although it is a possibility), I do think jetters need substantial boosts so that it's not only challenging for the jetter, but for the shielder too. This would add to the overall challenge and fun of the game. It would also eliminate the need for a player to start shielding if the alternatives are just as fun to play but hard to master.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Z0PharX wrote:I think this would further imbalance fights between shielders and jetters...
speaking of which, are you trying to fix that 'problem'? In which case, I think added horizontal thrust for the jetpack upgrade would be a great idea, even if it does not rectify the imbalance completely.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

I don't think the shield itself is going to be adjusted too much, but there have been some ideas tossed around for making the jetpack more of a viable option to use against shielders - mostly having to do with making it easier to evade shots and such.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

-Adding different directional thrusts (including up and down) to the jetpack upgrade might end up balancing the shield vs. jetpack. The learning curve will be increased and the chance of dodging projectiles would be higher.

- Allowing all 4 secondary items to be used in a mecc or reaper's inventory is unnecessary. It might make avoiding everything less tactical in terms of multiplayer.

-Allow secondary items to be dropped. However, this might be difficult since there is no scroll for them.

-Is it possible to make the gmm incoming data go through the same port as normal giants stuff? Opening one port is better than opening 2 or more.

-Fix the bug where the offspring can't attack gyros in the air. This is one of those things that make them near useless.
Loop_Goose
Yan the Pimp

Post by Loop_Goose »

Is it possible to allow for 32bit textures to be used for the sky ? I'm not familiar with editing the other textures in the game, are the normal textures 24bit or 32bit ?
Carlern-tk
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Carlern-tk »

Glude wrote:You're right Z0P, although carrying mines is useful for jetters too. I didn't even consider the jet vs shield problem, as in my mind there is no chance for the jetter :P
Would it help if the jetpack gave the mecch unlimited nitros with a 4-5 sec interval between every use? That combined with more fuel would probably give the mecch a lot more agility while airborne.
Jehslo
Kabuto's Playtoy

Vehicles

Post by Jehslo »

This is great I am glad to hear that the will be an update on Giants. But a question is there anyway that there could be different type of vehicles apart from the grycopter that would really be cool like land moving vehicles. :lol:
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Okay. I think it's unrealistic to hope for new weapons/vehicles/items, at least in this patch. But, I definitely agree that would be awesome.

Anyway. Couldn't we please, PLEASE make a new game mode for Hide and Seek? Seriously, explaining the rules, especially in any clan H&S's we've had, just takes too long, and even then people do all sorts of things wrong.

If we want to make jetpackers harder to hit, just limit the proximity missile. Make it so it has to be closer to a player to explode than it currently is... Mind you, this would make fights between packers harder... But is this such a bad thing? I just came out of a Giants game, and flying headlong at an opponent (let's call it rocket jousting >=D) firing proxes off is seriously fun. If it lasted a little longer, that couldn't be a bad thing.

Definitely definitely make headshots one-hit kills, if at all that's possible. Also, perhaps make a headshot on a shielder completely drain the shield energy and damage the shielder slightly? Then he'd just be sniper fodder.

Homers suck for me and anyone else who lags. Maybe nerf their ability to turn on a dime and hit you in the back? Make it so they curve more gradually? I was even thinking that perhaps flares could be unlimited, but on second thoughts, that may make homers totally redundant (not an altogether BAD thing, in my opinion... >=D).

If we want to make it so there can be a medic, A.K.A. someone running about with a repair gun, we'd probably have to give it some weight (not unlike the popup bomb, just to a lesser extent), just so it lowers jetpacking ability a little, to discourage everyone on the team from grabbing a healer and recharging in battle. Maybe make it so one cannot be healed while his/her shield is active?

When Kabuto throws things, realism should be forgotten about. Stuff trajectories etc., make it so the objects go in a dead straight line, and FAST. It's the only way Kabuto could easily take down that thrice-damned gyrocopter.

Please increase the power of the (un-gyrocopter) machine gun, pistol and RPG. I would absolutely love to be in a match where these are used! Finally, some variation! This'd give meccs the ability to defend against reapers when they rush in with the sword... just mow 'em down with a machine gun. I would also love the milennium mortar to have more troop-killing ability, maybe if it moves faster or increase the explosion radius or some such? Then a team could have a medic, a heavy weapons guy and some jetpackers/shielders.

Sorry for the long post. But I must warn you... There might be more where that came from...
Jehslo
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Jehslo »

Yah as you said it would be unrealistic but I mean Giants has been around for ages and if I recall correctly I might be wrong but the havent been any new weapons/vehicles/items for a really long time if any at all so if it is possible than once I say why not it would add more excitment to a game that has been played for a really long time now.
Ventovir
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Ventovir »

Gee, give Tassy a break and stop babbling about teh new objactzzzz .__.