the -dedicated command

Post questions and comments related to hosting regular servers or dedicated servers.

Moderator: Staff

uthe54
Kabuto's Playtoy

the -dedicated command

Post by uthe54 »

When launching giants, if I add the -dedicated after giants.exe, it doesn't do what I'd expect it to do. I'd expect it to launch giants in dedicated mode, windowed, etc, just as if I ran it from dedicated.exe. Is there something special I have to do to have this accomplished? Do I need to include any other flags?
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I'm not sure why you would want to run the dedicated command when you can just use dedicated.exe in the first place.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

The -dedicated switch expects the name of the .gdf file containing the rotation/game settings information after it (i.e -dedicated gwd.gdf).
uthe54
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by uthe54 »

DarkFalcoZ wrote:I'm not sure why you would want to run the dedicated command when you can just use dedicated.exe in the first place.
Because I don't want to use dedicated.exe
Tasiin wrote:The -dedicated switch expects the name of the .gdf file containing the rotation/game settings information after it (i.e -dedicated gwd.gdf).
Awesome! Thats what it is. Do you happen to know the formatting of the gdf files? It looks like some sort of binary file. If not, thats cool. I might get a hex editor and play around with making changes and comparing the changes to see if I can figure it out for the most part.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Not offhand, sorry. It should be fairly easy to figure out though, even through just trial and error like that. I don't think the format is particularly complex.