Getting Giants working on a x1900 series card

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

giantman
Kabuto's Playtoy

Getting Giants working on a x1900 series card

Post by giantman »

This is mostly for reference because I already solved the problem. I recently bought Giants again (lost my original) and installed it. It worked fine out of the box. Played through half the campaign. Hit a bug where I had the default blaster in my inventory twice.

It was on the meccan base-building level right after the kill the charger level. I placed a gift shop went into it and the last gun in my inventory switched to a duplicate of the default blaster. Clicking it caused a game crash.

I updated to 1.1 and 1.4 after that (individually and sequentially) and they both destroyed my graphics completely. Water textures were on grass. Mountains and other objects were half displayed as well as other junk. So I installed GRM and then giantshook and giantshook fixed the graphics problems. It also made me start at 0 vimp meat for the level so hopefully it fixed that weird glitch too, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm just posting this for reference in case anyone else needs to troubleshoot in the future.
Loop_Goose
Yan the Pimp

Post by Loop_Goose »

I think that it could be related to the driver version you are using with your card, or a random bug, rather than this series of card itself, as I am using a X1900XTX and have had no graphics related problems at all. I cant get the game to even boot when using the HD2900XT series, but that could be some different problem altogether..
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

Actually, the DX8 renderer included in GiantsHook is probably what solved the graphical glitches.