Giants in school 8)

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Ex kinda hit on what I was trying to do, copy all the files from the discs and condense them so I can upload it quicker, but I get errors on the .cab files. Except he forgot to mention I can't even view what's in them.

What I intend to do with the list is find all the files in my giants directory and make new .cab files so I can work with them. I would rather use the originals, but I keep having problems :( .
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

What you are trying to do won't work.
Do you want the game to fit exactly into a CD ?
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I thought I could try to fit it into one cd, but I don't think it would work, so now I'm just trying to find all the files invovled.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

You could make a DVD version of giants if you want (1.4GB).
Get the program WinISO, then make a virtual Giants CD1. You juste have to add the data3.cab into that virtual CD and burn it, no need to extract the .cab files.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

I don't think you can actually fit giants on one cd just by not putting unused files on the cd.

I actually made an installer to install giants from the internet, and I have managed to fit all giants files (multiplayer + singleplayer) into under 100 MB by compressing textures as jpg and sound files as ogg files. It's kinda working but some textures get invalidated, which I still have to fix.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I already know I can't fit all the files into one cd, I just want to see what are all the files involved. I like that idea with compressing the textures and sounds, but wouldn't it decrease the overall quality of the skins?

I've done a quick check in my giant's folder to see how big the game would be and I got it down to about .9 - 1GB (single + multi player/patch). Still an estimate though.
Glude wrote:You juste have to add the data3.cab into that virtual CD and burn it, no need to extract the .cab files.
That's the whole reason why I want a list so I don't have to extract the .cab files or even deal with them.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Is it possible to have all the Giants files from the cd and put it on a 2 GB Flash Drive without going through an installation proccess? Kinda like what Glude did: You just click the .reg files and ran Giants like normal, no installation. If thats possible, then I just need a 2 GB Flash Drive and I'm all set 8)
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

Very easy :
Copy your Giants folder ( C:/Program Files/Giants ) into your flash drive and use my reg1.reg to "install" the game. You will need a noCD patch though.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Not so fast! You are wrong on one thing. The reg.reg you have puts the giants registry in a weird name and it puts it in the 1036 language (French) which it should be 1035 (English).

I already knew this some time ago, just wanted to know if I am missing anything when full filling this ''operation''. Basically, making sure I was right.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

Yeah, sorry about the language :
You can create a .reg file by exporting from the registry(Start>Run>regedit) the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PlanetMoon .
This way, you will get your configuration.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Can't we make our own configuration in the notepad, because people should be able to change their settings and I don't think I want them to have the same names as the installer. Ohyeah, I looked at the french version, not too bad, if you don't pay attention to the queer sounds of the characters :roll: .
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

You can make the config with notepad, but it will be very long.
You could rather edit an existing one.
Trust Kill
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Trust Kill »

So how is 'mission impossible' going?
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Other then the fact that no one has sent me a list of what's in the .cab files :? , I'd say we're moving along. I' getting a 2 gb flash drive to fit the files.

After that is complete, I'll see if I can make a the whole game downloadable from a site, in case someone has lost or broken cds.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Ya, looking for a 2 gb flash drive that gets at least 40 - 480 mb/s read/write transfer rate, and for the lowest price.

Any other suggestions will be acceptable until proven pointless.