LAN Issues

Post questions and comments related to hosting regular servers or dedicated servers.

Moderator: Staff

sMiller
Kabuto's Playtoy

LAN Issues

Post by sMiller »

For the last few days I've been trying to run a LAN game for the first time. I think I'm setting it up right but then when my bro goes into the 'join local game' screen it just searches and searches and searches.

I see two problems.
1 - I'm not setting it up properly and I need your help.
2 - There's a problem at his end and it's not picking up my game. In which case I need help to remedy the situation.

Please help me! I loved playing this game online when I first got it a few years ago but now I can't thrash my brother to the point of tears.

Eagerly awaiting your replies,
Sam
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Do both of you have the same version?
sMiller
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by sMiller »

yup
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

I'm not sure but if you try installing the 1.4 patch, it may fix the problem. You could try hosting with gamespy arcade, if you dont have a firewall or a router.
sMiller
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by sMiller »

I have a router and a firewall.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Make sure the firewall allows hosting, you will (obviously) need the router for LAN play.
Try specifying the IP address of the host pc (use the internal ip address, not the one provided by your ISP) in the "join multiplayer game" window and then clicking "use given address"
sMiller
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by sMiller »

Err, how do I do that?

Thanks for the help too guys!

Sam
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

On the first computer, host a game. on the second computer click in the menu join multiplayer game and here, type the IP of the first comp and join this IP. To know the IP hold windows key and hit R, type cmd, then in MSDos type ipconfig. It will give you your internal IP and the IP provided by your ISP (that you dont have to use).
If it still doesn't work, open these ports in your firwalls :

TCP,UDP 19711
UDP 15000 16375
UDP 8911
Ammar
Yan the Pimp

Post by Ammar »

Its best to disable firewall, else the player will not be able to join, besides there are no threats on LAN unless both PC's are connected to the same isp on one connection.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Glude wrote:It will give you your internal IP and the IP provided by your ISP (that you dont have to use).
Incorrect. It will only show his internal IP (starting with either 192.168 or 10.x.x.x) unless he's using a different network card for his LAN connection than his Internet connection, which is unlikely. To display his external IP he'd have to go to a site like www.whatismyip.com or IPChicken.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

oops, sry. And Ammar, if you have a firewall and know how to forward ports, i think its better than swiching it down.
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

Time to open your trusty manual up.

Are you using the default windows firewall?