Regarding MvM Dedicated

Post questions and comments related to hosting regular servers or dedicated servers.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

Regarding MvM Dedicated

Post by Zopharks »

Hi, I'm posting this after seeing some rather annoying chatlogs from the server.

Fact: Dedicated servers are not easy to run. They require much more than just running dedicated.exe, throwing together a few idiotic rotations and hitting "launch." They require bandwidth, and an entire computer to run. In the case of MvM Dedicated, the server is using close to 90% of Rly's upstream, and is using pretty much all of it's processing power.

Let me break this down for the people who are too stupid to understand.

Rly is hosting, at no benefit to himself, a server for what is almost entirely a group of complete strangers. This server eats his bandwidth, and while running prevents him from using his second computer for about anything. What is the cost for the random blokes connecting to his server and using his bandwidth and cpu cycles? Nothing. Abso-fu**ing-lutely nothing. And the cost of the new server rly is building (which will, before long be the host of the server)? Over six hundred US dollars. Now, $600 might not seem like a whole lot of money to some, but take into consideration the fact that this money is being used to host a server for a bunch of people who in the past have shown themselves to have the collective maturity of a three year old on heroin. Personally, if I had half as many negative experiences with the GCK community as rly has, I can say in no uncertain terms that I would never host a server that didn't include the -nogamespy command line.

Why do I bring this up? Because I am sick and tired of skimming through the chatlog and seeing people whining about everything from "OMGNOMORTARS WTF THIS SERVER IS GAY THE HOST IS A NAZI :'C" to "WTF YOU HIT ME IN THE MIDLE OF THE AIR WITH A MISAL NO1 CAN HAVE AIM THAT GOOD YOU CHEAT fu** YOU." If you have some sort of criticism with the server, fine. If you have some sort of comment you want to give rly regarding the server, it's rotation, or it's administration, fine. If you want to mindlessly bitch and moan and make demands regarding a server that you have contributed absolutely nothing to, please shut the fu** up, and get the fu** out.

That said, stay in school, don't do drugs and have fun on the server.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

dunno who rly is, but im hosting a ded. server myself and know exactly how he must feel :)

hats off for you mate! :D
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

I agree.
Who is Rly Z0PharX?
Dex
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dex »

havn't u seen him on gsa yet . and can some1 tell me what to do cause i tryed to make an account and i typed in rong email and now i can't activate so i made this but can any1 help me changed the email for the account called dex1000 to ccr91@msn.com ?
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Changed and activated. Please stay on topic.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Rly is rly rly. Rly.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

So,
Thank You Rly
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

Rly is the evil Mr. Jenkins.
Timmy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Timmy »

whoever Rly is. . he sucks
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Rly = Mega pwnz. :P
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

Rly.. sucks?
He's better than me, and I could pwn you without even moving.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

Timmy wrote:whoever Rly is. . he sucks
You should really watch what you say... I have no doubt that you'll be banned from rly's server, the only 24/7 mvm dedicated, if you haven't been already. Plus, what you said isn't even true. Compared to him, you're a floating dust particle.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

yay4gibbage
Timmy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Timmy »

I'm not talking about experience. . . . . . . .

And who cares? I joined his server once and it was laggggggggy (more laggy then usual)

Doesnt matter if hes better then me. . . . hes a moron. . . . . . .
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Dude, Tim... 56kers have no room to talk about lag. And compared to you, Rly is a bloody genius.