Gwd

Post questions and comments related to hosting regular servers or dedicated servers.

Moderator: Staff

Kayfe
Kabuto's Playtoy

Gwd

Post by Kayfe »

just lettin yeah know there has been some cheating goin on and lots of base raidin ... forgot there names... but just lettin yeah know to let u pay more attention and get those fools banned :D
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

You can e-mail me (listed in profile) or pm tas/zop on GSA as they usually idle in there. It would help if you had some screenshots or vids to show proof. If you don't have any screens and don't remember their exact names, it would help if you could remember the first few letters or something they said (specific, not "lol") while playing. We could probably figure out who it was.

Just so everyone knows, if you cheat on a smurf and we're not around, if we find out about it we'll ban you anyways. Even if you never play with that name again.
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

So its a name ban and not an IP ban?
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Boom wrote:So its a name ban and not an IP ban?
How are we supposed to check up on someone if we don't know who it is? We can't be watching the bloody server 24/7, so unless someone can give us a name, or a quotation (so we can check the logs and see who it was that said it) we can't do a goddamn thing about anything. Just saying "LOL SUM1 CHEETED" won't do anything for anyone. LOL
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Yes, I would just like to add to this that I am getting extremely tired of being messaged in GSA and being told that someone is cheating without people supplying any proof at all, as if they expect me to ban someone on their word. Letting us know is great, but don't expect any action to be taken unless you can show us a screenshot or video of them cheating.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Boom wrote:So its a name ban and not an IP ban?
A "name ban" wouldn't even be worth the effort. Lots of people clan hop or change their name nearly every time they play.
Kayfe
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Kayfe »

just tryin to help u guys pay more attention to the server.... <---- smokin pot and all i don't remember names :D ...+ not my server ,, not my responsibility :D
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

How reassuring of you.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Believe it or not, we do have other things to do besides keeping an eye on the server day in and day out. The server is provided as a free service to the Giants community, and we do not expect anything in return, so asking us to "pay more attention to the server" is incredibly rude.

If anything, it should be your responsibility along with the other players' responsibility to keep an eye out for cheaters, rather than expecting us to take care of everything silently for you. "Not my server, not my responsibility"? If you play on the server and care at all about keeping cheaters out, it is your responsibility to do something about it.

If you want us to take action against someone when the chat log does not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are cheating, you then have two options. Either take a screenshot, or record a movie of them cheating with FRAPS and then compress it with VirtualDub. Using the XviD codec for compression would be preferrable. If anyone needs any further help getting one of these two things to work, I will be happy to provide it, but do not expect us to ban people just because you said so.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

Nobody has lives outside of what is presented here and ig.
Kayfe
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Kayfe »

Funny how all i did is post about someone cheating and it starts to turn into a big debate....... and no its not my responsibility .. i come to your server to play not to ketch cheaters in YOUR server ... the servers owners responsibility to ban the cheaters who cheat in THERE server. but that just my opinion and u guys will have some smart ass thing to say about it... so i will give u time to wiz up another comeback :D
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Wow, your sense of entitlement is truly mind-boggling. I suppose you'd rather play on other servers where no effort is made to catch cheaters, and where the administrators are unable to ban people even if they wanted to.

I run other servers, and have other non computer related things to do. As such, I do not spend all day playing Giants and watching the players on my server like a hawk, waiting for one of them to cheat. Neither do any of the other admins. If you encounter cheaters, you're either going to have to deal with it, notify one of us if we're here, or spend five minutes learning how to use FRAPS and VirtualDub so that you can take a movie of them cheating, which will gaurantee their permanent removal from the server.
Kayfe wrote:Funny how all i did is post about someone cheating and it starts to turn into a big debate.......
This isn't a debate. We're stating the facts -- we cannot take your word or anyone else's word alone on something like this. If you want them gone, we've already told you what your options are.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

I guess I could quit my job and stare at the server 24/7...

But I think it'd be much more effective if you'd just stop your whining and actually did something, as we aren't asking for a whole lot.

[EDIT]

Typos are fun.
Last edited by Zopharks on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

That might not be enough for him, better give him your firstborn too, just to be sure.
Kayfe
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Kayfe »

nice ... very nice... i knew if i gave u guys just the smallest margin of time, u remarkable neo's could wip up some kind of witty remark... the fact of the matter is this topic is pointless now and geting annoying..... i succumb to your extravagant power and bow to thee o powerful neo .... sorry i insulted the all power full neo ... plz find it upon your most greatnesses to forgive me ..... ;)