For shits and giggles: GWD Dedicated chat statistics

Rules, gametypes and questions will be posted here.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

For shits and giggles: GWD Dedicated chat statistics

Post by Zopharks »

http://s149432842.onlinehome.us/irc/giantslog.html

50MB of logs dating back to 2004 were processed to create the statistics shown. Har.

http://s149432842.onlinehome.us/irc/gsalog.html

Stats for the Giants lobby
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

I got 666...
Trust Kill
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Trust Kill »

yup, there i am with 2453, then again with 989... i wont even say the nick, a lot of ppl allready know.
random lines, prety cool :)

*shits and giggles*
Casqad
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Casqad »

"do you got better pings?"

I actually wrote that :shock:
Trust Kill
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Trust Kill »

It's funny because you wrote it in a stupid way.
Casqad
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Casqad »

Pete Tha Zouk wrote:It's funny because you wrote it in a stupid way.

Yea, I see how stupid it looks, but I can't remember why i said it :roll:
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Well, it goes all the way back to 2004, so the probability of a random quote popping up that you don't remember is pretty high.
Riku
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Riku »

you can do that but you dont show us dedi stats :roll:
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Kill statistics involve a process that is -much- more complicated. That said, we may be bringing them back in the near future, but nothing is concrete as of yet.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Unknown wrote:you can do that but you dont show us dedi stats :roll:
They were brought down due to concerns about the bandwidth and CPU usage. If you'd like to fix those problems for us, you're welcome to help, or we can put them back up if you don't mind lagging out whenever someone accesses the stats page.

:roll:
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

maybe it would be possible to refresh the stats once a day for instance. And, do you have to store them on your server? Isn't it possible to have them on an other serv (i have a serv with unlimitted bandwith tranfert if you want...)?
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Glude wrote:maybe it would be possible to refresh the stats once a day for instance. And, do you have to store them on your server? Isn't it possible to have them on an other serv (i have a serv with unlimitted bandwith tranfert if you want...)?
The way the statistics currently work (assuming that they're still using my program) all statistics (kills etc.) are inserted into a mysql database. This is so that the statistics web page can dynamically show statistics (hide certain columns and search for players).

If I remember correctly it was due to high bandwidth consumption that it was practical only if the mysql server was on the same pc as the dedicated server (or on a pc directly linked to it through LAN). Having the php file hosted on another server would probably require even more bandwidth because it will have to query the mysql server that's on the dedicated server pc every time the page is requested.

There are ways to minimize cpu usage and prevent bandwidth usage by hosting the file on another server, but this will prevent the statistics from being 'live'.

If we want to do that then I'll have to talk with Zoph and Tas
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

We're looking into a solution to those issues, but can't say for certain how far we'll get.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

Thats why I think we don't need the stats to be "live"
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Z0PharX wrote:We're looking into a solution to those issues, but can't say for certain how far we'll get.
Well I could ajust the program so that instead of making a lot of queries to a mysql server, you can just run it at the end of the day, and it will keep track of all statistics internally, and then dump everything to a single .sql file, that you can input into any mysql database on any server.

This will use almost no bandwidth (except for the uploading of the .sql file), and you can set the priority of the program to very low so that it will not interfere with the giants dedicated server program (unless the dedicated program is using up all cpu, which I don't know)