best video card for SLI... building a new super comp

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

best video card for SLI... building a new super comp

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

Just wondering some opinions on the best SLI PCIE video card i can get ... sold my comp back in march ..one reason why i haven't beeen on ... but buildin me a beyond badass comp just wanting some suggestions on a aw3esome video card...
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

oh and around 300 dollar range
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

per card :D
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I haven't kept up with the newer tech lately, but I'll see if Exploderman has any suggestions.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Nvidia GTX 660ti for an SLI setup. Or skip the middleman for a GTX 680 (ASUS DirectCU II) which is overkill for most games anyway and saves a few bucks. Less noise, less heat, less power consumption. But if you're hellbent on SLI, I'd go for the 660's for that extra bit of performance.
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

so the GTX 680 (ASUS DirectCU II will run most games on full graphics including i get a good processer and much needed ram? what kind of power supply will i need 700 wat? and what processor would u suggest? to run along with the gtx 680 and mobo? ty xentek
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

and if the gtx 680 is overkill what video card would u suggest that would run most games on hi graphics and for media? and again what processor would u suggest and mobo?

and what about the gtx 560 ti alone?
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

It really depends on your budget and how much performance you really need/want. For media like music and HD movies you don't really need that much power. For motherboards just go over the features (and if it's ASUS or Intel you can't really lose anyway) and see what suits your needs (like how I went with good onboard sound so I wouldn't have to get a PCI soundcard).

So what's your budget and what do you want to use the PC for?

- Though to answer your question, a single GTX 560 ti will give adequate to good performance in any game. It won't run everything at max but it's priced well for the performance. Also, you could just consider buying one used to save some extra cash since they aren't hard to find.
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

well my budget i want around 500 or i will go up to 700... i want a computer also with great onboard sound and somekind of processing power def. over 3.0...last i had was 2.2 and with newer games was laggin up plus i had a puny gtx7800 lol... so i def. want some great graphics, i usually only play mmo's and i know they don't take much graphics but would still like the extra incase i get into crysis ect... i have a good scsi drive i am goin to use... and well just need to know bout good vid car. mobo + processor, and what kind of good ram to use.. cause i would at least like 4 to 6 gb... i want this comp to be able to last for the next 5 years or so of my mmo playin... and btw i usually always buy from pricewatch.com... never had any prob. with past comps i've build... so just let me know what u think xen.... and ty as always friend :D
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

If 500-700 for the whole system (incl. PSU/case/drives/OS etc) it's going to be very tight and you'd probably be better off buying something used if you want max performance per dollar, or just save up a bit more. Crysis can't even be called demanding at all with current hardware. Even games like Battlefield 3 run fine on a 3 year old i7 860 and ATI 5850 on max settings (a steady 40 fps).

Though if you have around 500-700 for RAM/CPU/Mobo/Vid and you want some great onboard sound:

CPU: i5 3570k $220
Mobo: Intel Z77 Extreme4 $125
RAM: Kingston HyperX PC12800 8GB only $45
Vid: GTX 560 ti is currently up for $136 at http://3btech.net (elsewhere around $220, so it's probably a sale) - Though a good alternative would be a 7850 for $200

That would total up to about 515 ~ 570 USD for a great gaming experience and a good life expectancy. It's just my personal prefs I would go to if it were my budget so of course take everything with a grain of salt if you haven't already been piling it on :)
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

ty xentek prob what i will buy... and OS i have xp professional but might buy windows 7 just depends and what size of power supply i need?
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

http://3btech.net/nzlescrsepib.html and what about this case??? seems like it has alot of airflow ..just wondering if its a good case with plenty of room .. and fit for everything
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

"[FX]-GoKu"]ty xentek prob what i will buy... and OS i have xp professional but might buy windows 7 just depends and what size of power supply should i need?
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

The board I suggested is a regular ATX sized board and the 560 isn't that long, so the midi tower you linked should have no issues with it (looks nice too).

For PSU you should be able to do fine with 500W very comfortably if you buy an A-listed brand (and don't intend to overclock). Though you could up that to 650-700W in advance should you ever go for an SLI/CrossfireX and/or overclocking solution in the future. Do note that I always leave some headroom, so you could probably do with a bit less, but for maybe a 10 USD price difference, better safe than having to hassle with RMA :)

Just to illustrate: two GTX 560 ti + 3570k (without OC) will theoretically consume 510W excl. other parts on max load, so 600W should work fine in that situation.

So yeah, it depends a bit on personal preference/needs. I'd also really recommend going for Win7, though you might be able to strike a deal for that when (that horrible) Win8 comes out late next month.
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

so with that mother board i have the option in the future for sli ..which i beleave i read it had...
Last edited by [FX]-GoKu on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.