Where can I download single-player maps?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Cairn
Kabuto's Playtoy

Where can I download single-player maps?

Post by Cairn »

I've done about a dozen Google searches. I'm trying to find single-player base-building maps. I don't care if the AI already has a base established. Ideally, the AI would have to construct their own base as well, but I realize that this game wasn't designed with that level of AI, so I'll just settle for the pre-constructed enemy structures that I must eventually destroy. I just feel like struggling to construct and maintain a base from the onslaught of enemy forces. I know that I could play Mecc story 5 over and over again, but the same map tends to get tedious once you've figured out an effective building strategy, and know where all the critters live.

I've also considered making my own, but I just started, and the 5.41 editor keeps giving me an error that has something to do with strings when I click to test a map, and I can't figure out why.

Besides, I find it very difficult to believe that there haven't been several people with the same desire as me, so after all this time, where are the single-player base building maps that people have created. I notice that the editor gives the option of selecting single player, so people must have wanted it, and I assume people must have used it.
NKNWN
Lord of the Vimps

Re: Where can I download single-player maps?

Post by NKNWN »

Cairn wrote:I've done about a dozen Google searches. I'm trying to find single-player base-building maps. I don't care if the AI already has a base established. Ideally, the AI would have to construct their own base as well, but I realize that this game wasn't designed with that level of AI, so I'll just settle for the pre-constructed enemy structures that I must eventually destroy. I just feel like struggling to construct and maintain a base from the onslaught of enemy forces. I know that I could play Mecc story 5 over and over again, but the same map tends to get tedious once you've figured out an effective building strategy, and know where all the critters live.

I've also considered making my own, but I just started, and the 5.41 editor keeps giving me an error that has something to do with strings when I click to test a map, and I can't figure out why.

Besides, I find it very difficult to believe that there haven't been several people with the same desire as me, so after all this time, where are the single-player base building maps that people have created. I notice that the editor gives the option of selecting single player, so people must have wanted it, and I assume people must have used it.
i know how to make lighting ,bots (reapers) turrets bases , but not a own map on sigleplayer ,and i need know how to make that mecc companions reg ,barret etc
Cairn
Kabuto's Playtoy

Re: Where can I download single-player maps?

Post by Cairn »

dudewithaguitar wrote:
i know how to make lighting ,bots (reapers) turrets bases , but not a own map on sigleplayer ,and i need know how to make that mecc companions reg ,barret etc
Dude, I wish I knew how to do that. I just looked at it for a little bit, clicked place object, clicked base, and set that down. Then I tried to test it to see if I was even doing it right, and it gave me that error. I'm sure I'm just not doing something right, but I don't know where there's a step by step guide or any kind of tutorial for those who don't know how to use the editor.

Also, if you can't make it a single player map, can't you just keep it as multiplayer because I know the original multiplayer maps will just load even when only the host is connected to the game. If the map has bots in it, nobody needs to connect to anyone else, they can just play by themselves, or even connect to others if they want coop or something.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Cairn wrote:but I don't know where there's a step by step guide or any kind of tutorial for those who don't know how to use the editor.
Here's a decent guide to using GiantsEdit: http://www.giantswd.org/?file=27

Also look around on the forums, there are threads on how to add those big birds, sonak patrols, custom textures and the sort.
Cairn wrote:Also, if you can't make it a single player map, can't you just keep it as multiplayer because I know the original multiplayer maps will just load even when only the host is connected to the game. If the map has bots in it, nobody needs to connect to anyone else, they can just play by themselves, or even connect to others if they want coop or something.
Pretty much. I don't think you can add Mecc bots to tag along with you, but you can definitely fill up the map with AI. Try the map 'Ripperz Arena' for instance. Just note that AI in multiplayer games is iffy at best as it will almost always go out of sync. Even worse is when you have new players join, all the baracks and AI you killed will still appear on his/her screen, but still spawn yet be invisible (and unkillable, but they can kill you) to those already playing.