Planet Moon Studios

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Dan
Kabuto's Playtoy

Planet Moon Studios

Post by Dan »

I have emailed Planet Moon Studios today asking for the source code, removed features list, and hidden features. I have also asked permission about hosting a copy of Giants online, and asked for more information about Giants 2.

I hope that they respond and with a positive response, I have many coder friends, and we could get this game up to date and ported to a newer engine, as we're currently doing now for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, which I've played since 2003.

An engine like XREAL for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkhyIeE ... re=related

Although some may fear at the site of this, and changing the game would = killing it. It'd only be textures & engine capabilities, unless we can work on the current engine to support better lighting & high detailed textures.

I'm hoping, if we can get the code for the game, including engine & all resources, we can modify this engine to look beautiful. I've seen the high detailed textures, but imagine 100x better :P. It's only to bring newer users to the game, as nowadays the players are drawn to graphics. Gameplay will be untouched.

Good idea or bad?
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

I think the general response of veteran players will be a skeptical one. There have been people in the past making all sorts of great promises leading to failure or simple dissapointment by the author. I do recall a group making a serious(?) effort to port the game to the source engine, but in the end it didn't work out.

The graphics aren't really a concern of the community I believe, it's mainly the gameplay that has to stay intact. Though 10-50 new active members would instantly form a majority anyway, and you need something people want to play I suppose. :p It will pretty much come down to people wanting to (and able to) do the work, as there isn't anyone really left here who is willing to put a ton of effort into a game people might not be playing soon. Though that said, credit to Tasiin developing 1.5 and Accusnoetn hosting servers.

Though back to the skepticism, I don't think PMS will be very helpful as they never really have been. But who knows? I'm thankful you've at least brought something to talk about, and potentially to hope for :)
Dan
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dan »

I understand why you would say that, within Enemy Territory the community has been let down so much also. However, if we get code, more content, materials and permission to distribute copies of the game, we can indeed get more players. Just putting a direct link to the game will increase the number of players.

Great work done by the community so far, and if we can get it further afield and get players, cheaters will start to come. However, we can always write an anti-cheat client, which is required client side. Within the community I talk about, there is currently being 1 developed for all sorts of games, and it works, supports bans, screenshots, accounts and major leagues (Clanbase etc...) so the knowledge is there! A better server browser and a new master server, given server files and such, shouldn't be too hard to alter.

I've done some hooking with DirectX when I was like 15, and it was quite simple, so I could code something in the meantime to improve some aspects.

I can only talk words at the moment, until I get permission to distribute the material.

If we set our minds to it, we can achieve.
NKNWN
Lord of the Vimps

Post by NKNWN »

Dan wrote:I understand why you would say that, within Enemy Territory the community has been let down so much also. However, if we get code, more content, materials and permission to distribute copies of the game, we can indeed get more players. Just putting a direct link to the game will increase the number of players.

Great work done by the community so far, and if we can get it further afield and get players, cheaters will start to come. However, we can always write an anti-cheat client, which is required client side. Within the community I talk about, there is currently being 1 developed for all sorts of games, and it works, supports bans, screenshots, accounts and major leagues (Clanbase etc...) so the knowledge is there! A better server browser and a new master server, given server files and such, shouldn't be too hard to alter.

I've done some hooking with DirectX when I was like 15, and it was quite simple, so I could code something in the meantime to improve some aspects.

I can only talk words at the moment, until I get permission to distribute the material.

If we set our minds to it, we can achieve.
i want to play giants 2 fu**