Hi guys, offer for you

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Dan
Kabuto's Playtoy

Hi guys, offer for you

Post by Dan »

Hi guys, just thought I would register and say hello.

I used to play Giants back in 2004 when I got it for 50p from Gamestation, I remember playing it and loving the game. I still have the memories and happy smiles on my face from it :).

I installed the other week, my 4870 died and waiting for a 560ti to appear in my rig, so I'll only be able to play with a useless FPS on this temp 8400GS.

I am a Software Developer, and an IT Technician from England. I hope that I can help in some way here.

I was looking at the servers and max of 3 servers with 1-4 players in at a time, which is shockingly bad. I have an active community in which will be very drawn to this game. I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to bring them to the scene.

My requirements from an admin from here.

Could you please archive a copy of Giants up to date with the server browser, and upload to your server? I have a server which I will upload to also, which is based in London.

Upon getting a link, I will grab a fair few players to Giants and these forums. They play games actively 24/7 and are from all over the world, mainly skilled though, so warning about that. members: 4024.

If you could do this for me, I would appreciate it. I would do it myself but the area currently only has 2MB ADSL, which D/U rate is very poor.

Thank you

Dan
Last edited by Dan on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Whilst I cannot say anything regarding hosting a Giants copy, I must say that any extra soul is a welcome one. If we had just 5 extra serious players this game would be already be a lot better. A big reason the veterans left is because there is nobody worthwhile to play, and the noobs leave because there's nobody here (or because they get owned and ragequit).

At any rate, welcome back to Giants and I hope you'll hang around for a bit. : )
Dan
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dan »

Surely we can get permission to hosting a copy? The game is no longer being published, and support has completely stopped.

I asked the members on the site I mentioned, and many of them have played it at some point, some even this year. All comments are positive and are asking for a link. Like I said I have a useless connection and uploading 1.5GB worth of data would take me weeks, so if we can get an FTP upload, that'd be awesome!

Torrents come in .bin & without patches, too much work for some lazy people.

Hopefully we can get more players here, and seeing as I now have private messages asking for the link, it may get some active members here, perhaps 10-50 of them at least.

All I need is a link to Giants.
King
Administrator

Post by King »

GOG does a good job of making updated copies (patched) available:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/giants_citizen_kabuto

I haven't tried it, but it's probably patched up to 1.4. I can't offer hosting or FTP services for copies of the game, however you're free to solicit interest in creating a slipstreamed copy and distributing via torrents or one of the major free file hosts (megaupload, hotfile, etc.).