Giants"2" Idea Board

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

From what I can see the game will be crap for at least some more months, but it'll get better (hopefully) :P .
I don't know about advertising as the 0.00000001 is almost ready, and that one will be bad (and not "commercial-game"-bad, more like "windoze vista"-bad :) ), and it seems people don't want to play bad games.
I'll implement a show off- ranking system once I feel the game is ready for it (= once I implement gun).
Same thoughts on regen, it makes games too easy imo.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Agreed tottaly :)

Post by Depeus »

I see what you mean - people seeing how much work it'll take to get the 2nd one off might put them off. :/ Maybe advertise when the game is a bit more playable?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Or only advertise to people who never heard of games before :)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Depeus »

lol
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Blöö

Post by Pithikos »

Just part of a greek poem that fits this well :
When you set out on your journey to Ithaca,
pray that the road is long,
full of adventure, full of knowledge.
The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
the angry Poseidon -- do not fear them:
You will never find such as these on your path,
if your thoughts remain lofty, if a fine
emotion touches your spirit and your body.
The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
the fierce Poseidon you will never encounter,
if you do not carry them within your soul,
if your soul does not set them up before you.
So don't worry about how long it will take. It's better that it takes a long time and it's a great game when finished than that it's being made fast and ends up a shitty game. Afterall the game can be playied while being developed by the community. :)

And btw I will steal the moment and and make out some points that made giants1 a great game:
  • rts
    jetski/gyrocopter
    flying!
    speed
    colours
So giants 2 should build up on those things. Ofcourse rts should be the last thing to think of. But it would be really neat with some extra structures and more freedom on building walls etc. even outside the base.
And what I would LOVE to see is meccs having a robot they can get in and handle like those from Avatar.
Just throwing out some thoughts..
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Meccs in Mechs... :D

I think that giants should have had more rts elements than it realy did, I revisited "The Battle" mecc mission(wich i had such fond memories of), and i was alittle disapointed, after have palying Stratagey games like Starcraft and the stronghold series, it felt lacking, the reaper gaurds should have had tanks or other siege engines, and the base should have had more of a tech tree(with a greater varietey of structures, and possibly, more resourses, in addition to the smarties and vimp)

For instance, You would need to collect smarties, then vimp(For we all know the insationable desire smarties have for vimp meant, thanks to timmy's father :) ) then the materials:Wood, Stone and Metal(crystal would be the reaper equivalant of metal).

Smarties could be assigned tasks from the command center by baz or other meccs, venturing off on there own on paths designated by your self, to collect various recourses. Meccs themselvs would have to guard these paths at first, then later, turrets could be used as a defenece. Each Forrest,Quarry, and Mine could only be occupied by a single team at a time, providing for feirce resource battles.

Bases shouldent be limeted by the traditional 4 cornered layout of the orriginal, instead that could be the inner sanctum of the base, having your other structures fanout from the center.

Of course, the main reason we all continue to play giants isn't because of the basebuilding missions, but because of the team mecc deathmatch, wichis why I agree with Pithikos that the rts elements sould be done last.
GiveGiantssomeLove
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by GiveGiantssomeLove »

Unfortunately i thought over this now for awhile and i can't come up with a nice Idea... -.-

A complete Sequel would be epic beyond everything - but i wonder if this is manageable... oO
mIchanix96
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by mIchanix96 »

totally agree with nagatkcin,

1) In new giants save all race, or change they. Change skills and skins of characters.

2) I think that in giants enough build!!! Add new builds. I can help it.

3) Add music. Sound left same way.

It easy for me. Ask me of ICQ.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

I think a greater and more varried arsenal of weapons is in order for the Sequel.

-Proxy/missle/hommer: Same old bread and butter weapons. :)

-Sniper Rifle: Bullet should travel instantaneously, without any delay.

-Railgun:Short range/high damage weapon with large explosions on impact.

-Eon Morter: Like a self homing missle from above. Fired stright up into the clouds, it finds a enemy target on its own, dealing fair damage.

-Shotgun:an RPG with a short, verry wide blast area.

-Gattling cannon: A lazer minnigun, innacurate but shoots many high damage lazer bolts very fast.

-Disc launcher: Very short range weapon, a one-hit kill weapon that slices straight through your opponents. A kabuto Killer.

-Rapier: A crossbow with a very sharp bolt, with a cable attached to the end. it is usefull for scalling rock base walls when there is SAM turrets about. Could work in a pinch in combat.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Blöö

Post by CrapHeap »

Pithikos wrote:...And what I would LOVE to see is meccs having a robot they can get in and handle like those from Avatar...
Do you mean a real vehicle or just an exoskeleton (exo = weapons not included).
Please respond asap, I don't feel like coding so I might as well make some models :P

edit: nvm, the little bit of modelling talent I had was just ran over by a tree so the model's a no-go :(
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

This game needed BALANCED WEAPONS FOR MULTIPLAYER!

Seriously--a lot of games have guns that excel in certain situations. Not Giants. Basically just a few guns cut the bill for Meccs: Rockets, Prox, Sniper, Homing. That's really it. Mortar is effectively useless--machine gun is equally useless...etc. But, even though you use all these weapons they are basically all the same thing except sniper. They all are used in the same situation, with the same enemy basically.

We needed some tracking weapons like the laser from the beta. This would make shielding a lot less viable since you could just get pounded down from someone with a hitscan weapon like a laser. Just having one hitscan weapon like that for midrange fights would make things at least a little more interesting, and more dangerous for shielder. As is, it's unviable to do anything else, and always has been. It would be nice if it could change somehow. Jetpacking should be viable.
-Railgun:Short range/high damage weapon with large explosions on impact.
Only problem with that is that this should maybe be called a coil-gun. Railguns can theoretically go quite far--like, 400 miles in 6 minutes.
[FX]-GoKu
Lord of the Vimps

Post by [FX]-GoKu »

Even though i haven't played for some time now. Xentek said it best... this is just another failing attempt to make a so called "new giants".. have been here awhile and this has to be like the 10th post over a subject that never happens....
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

concept art

Post by CrapHeap »

Hullo again!
do any of you have by any chance mad photoshop/gimp skills?
If so, please make a little concept art or something, I'm going to try to make some models myself (again) but I'll need some reference images..
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Has the 1x10^-10 version been posted yet?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

DarkFalcoZ wrote:Has the 1x10^-10 version been posted yet?
Jep, but most people can't run it (probably due to missing runtime-things, blame microsoft).