Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

I'v Created a Topic for the discussion and sharing of ideas for Giants 2. Link: http://www.giantswd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2157
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

uploaded mecc model rendered in Blender (not the game engine I'm using) on facebook; http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 5791169413

please tell me what you think is the best-looking model

edit: also uploaded a picture of a mecc (no texture yet :( ) rendered in irrlicht

edit (yes, again): just noticed that non-facebook users can't access the development blog, working on a fix

edit(last time, I promise :p ): images shown below (if it works, that is):

and the irrlicht mecc:
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Why are you asking which is the best looking model? They're LOD meshes.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

[NEO]Vortex wrote:Why are you asking which is the best looking model? They're LOD meshes.
not really, more catmull-clark levels means more polygons, means more detail, but sometimes it does weird things to your model, making it look worse on some levels.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

I didn't know you were subdividing it, I thought you were just looking at Giants' existing LODs for the Mecc model trying to decide which was the highest detail. As for subdividing making things look "worse" sometimes, that's because it's just following an algorithm to smooth out the mesh, it doesn't really know what shape the object needs to follow in order to maintain the artist's vision when you apply it to the whole thing.

at any rate, beyond #3 I can tell no difference
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

ty for the feedback Vortex, C-C is imo only usefull when making organic-looking things, but I've been too busy to make my own models
Xabr3
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Xabr3 »

Hi guys, quick question; are you guys able to import/place your own models at this stage?? I used to skin and map giants years ago.. but don't recall people editing the models themselves.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

if you mean import in giants, the answer is no, I've decided to use another engine due to lack of source code
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I think they look the same beyond #3 as well.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

one problem: the 3rd picture has 70244 polygons and the 5th crashes my pc :(
I'll probably just make new models or edit the existing so they look better.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

As most of you probably know already, I will be releasing a 0.000000000000000000000001 version of giants 2 somewhere this month (or the next, depending on how irritating gcc decides to be).
It will be a very simple minigame-like thing, and I'll probably upload both binaries (windows 32, maybe debian/ubuntu packages) and source code, so you can mess around with my code (and troll me because it's full of memory leaks) and compile mac or win 64 binaries.

Anyway, these are some ideas for this release posted on the idea board, feel free to post suggestions or other things concerning giants 2.
[ION]Nagadkcin wrote:1.) A mecc(Reg) attempts to reach the pub(wich is tended by timmy's breath taking mother) Before a timer runs out.

2.) A mecc(Baz) must flee a Dark fog (perhaps a Big black wall) chasing him, he must survive for as long as he can, for the wall moves significantly faster than he does.

3.) A mecc(Tel) has to use his peashooter to snipe moving boxes at increasingly far distances.
1.) timers are not really my speciality since it uses milliseconds or ticks or something similar,and I'm really bad in numbers smaller than 1 so I'll look into it, but I doubt I'll use timers in the first release

2.) this sounds fun to play and/or make, the only difficulty being the object moving to the players position, but that shouldn't be too difficult. hope none of you mind seeing the time you survived in milliseconds :)

3.) this sounds a little boring, maybe I'll just give the boxes rpgs or peashooters to make it interesting

conclusion: I'll just take the black thing from 2, make it spawn the boxes from 3 and give the player points for shooting boxes and surviving.

I'll hopefully release something before the end of the month, but I can't promise anything since I plan on buying a videocard tomorrow, which means playing a lot of games the coming days
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Well what the fu**ing fu**? Giants 2?

What the hell is going on here? XD!

More productively, I liked the head-skin for the original meccs, with the pasty faces and the eyes.

Furthermore, I can model, a bit. Although I've only ever used GMax and 3DSMax 4.2.

http://ich.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1222&st=0

That's an example of my stuff. I don't know if it's anything like what you're looking for. Our very own Delirium (formerly TheGeneral) did the textures.

So anyway. Giants 2? What the fu**?

What's going on? XD.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

"whats going on?'" I assumed it was self explanatory. :wink:
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Puglin. wrote:Well what the fu**ing fu**? Giants 2?

What the hell is going on here? XD!

More productively, I liked the head-skin for the original meccs, with the pasty faces and the eyes.

Furthermore, I can model, a bit. Although I've only ever used GMax and 3DSMax 4.2.

http://ich.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1222&st=0

That's an example of my stuff. I don't know if it's anything like what you're looking for. Our very own Delirium (formerly TheGeneral) did the textures.

So anyway. Giants 2? What the fu**?

What's going on? XD.
nice squid you got there :P
do you think you can do a mecc model?
if not, give it a try, they will better than anything I ever made

about the pasty face: I was too lazy to figure out how to make thing semi-transparent

"What's going on?": I decided to make giants 2 myself because planet moon seems to be busy making ?(imo dumb) wii games
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Okay, cool, but... Since when does anyone have that kind of skill/motivation/legal right? I mean, this is awesome, but is no one else Confused?

What sort of software do you want me to make a Mecc in? Blender?