Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

kkk

Post by Depeus »

kkk kkk kkk kkk
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Perhaps you should avoid grouping Ks' in groups of three,it might offened people.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

I find the Kosher Kids Klub very offensive too.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

D:

Post by Depeus »

Lol ku klux klan

EDIT: I'm 21 now, and just looked back on this post. No clue wtf I was thinking, but I had no clue what it meant and that was the first result on Google after learning and I decided to share. Apologies for if it may have been interpreted in a racist way
Last edited by Depeus on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

roflolmfao

Post by CrapHeap »

Errrrr..........

Anyway, I implemented 3d but it doesn't seem to work. I only tested it on a 10 year old laptop, more testing inc.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

more useless stuff

Post by CrapHeap »

3D doesn't work on my desktop :(
I guess I'll just postpone that and move on to guns and movement.

In the meantime, i would be nice if someone created a giants-like font for me :)
If you don't know what I mean, here's an example of a font:
Maybe you could take screenshots from the menu and copypaste the characters, maybe draw the rest yourself.

I'll probably release a working binary somewhere this or next week as I have better thing to do but I'll skip them... one has to prioritize in this world.
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

This has gone too many pages so couldn't go through all. So what are your plans? Can you list your points? What engine are you going to use? Is the engine opensource so that people can tweak it to the Giants standards? What models are you going to use? What formats? What music? What programming languages? What is the story? Sum it all up please? :)
If you are going to make something as this big then you should go opensource so others can contribute in case you suddenly get married or something. You should also consider using open standards so not only 3dMax users can play with the models. Going open source can also add your project under the Google's umbrella(summer of code etc).

If you are going to make this open source then I am very willingly to help. I have big experience with C and even with Lua and Blender. Adding Lua interaction is a must if you are going to make this btw. Maybe also make a page on github?
I can also make soundtracks(http://www.myspace.com/ReplanningEarth)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

o.O

Post by Depeus »

Wow looks like you could need Pithikos.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Hmmm

Post by Depeus »

Well I see something...You could possibly use this font as long as you gave credit (me thinks so) http://www.ffonts.net/MLB-Giants.font
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Guess who's back, back again. CH's back for the win!

Post by CrapHeap »

Big list of stuff as requested by Pithikos:

Plans:
First I'm going to make a basic f/tps "framework" on which I'll then try to make a giants-like game, maybe with one of the storylines mentioned in the idea board.

Not sure what you meant with that, but I'll put a little todo list here:
-add gameplay :)
-build a working windoze binary
-fix movement (no sliding)
-add guns
-add proper menus

Technical stuff:
I'm using the irrlicht game engine for rendering, irrBullet (bullet wrapper for irrlicht) for physics and I'll later add the irrklang engine for sound and maybe another engine for networking.
All of these are written in c++ and should be opensource.
I'm currently using the models from the original game in .obj format and a homemade terrain also in .obj, textures are .tga (terrain texture is .mtl for some reason). I would also appreciate it if anyone made some high poly models or textures for me, doesn't matter which format.

That's it for now, maybe I'll add some more stuff later.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Hey

Post by Depeus »

CrapHeap, could you please teach me to code, I mean I know you have alot on your hands with this Giants game, but I want to help out and I also want to be part of blizzard (creators of wow) or maybe some other game company because that is my dream and also in the future I could help out with the game when we all have the client, so please teach me, it's probably alot for you, oh and if possible make a video of you playing some of the game and you could send it to me via depeus@gmail.com and then I could upload to my youtube channel. Thanks good luck, I think a video is what I really want to see because untill recently I havn't been looking at this much.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Hey

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:CrapHeap, could you please teach me to code, I mean I know you have alot on your hands with this Giants game, but I want to help out and I also want to be part of blizzard (creators of wow) or maybe some other game company because that is my dream and also in the future I could help out with the game when we all have the client, so please teach me, it's probably alot for you, oh and if possible make a video of you playing some of the game and you could send it to me via ******@gmail.com and then I could upload to my youtube channel. Thanks good luck, I think a video is what I really want to see because untill recently I havn't been looking at this much.
If you want to learn c++, I suggest you take a look at these sites (in that order):
http://www.osix.net/modules/article/?id=609
http://www.cplusplus.com/files/tutorial.pdf
Depending on how much you already know about programming you might want to skip things (variables etc.) in the 2nd tutorial, don't skip variable declaration, pointers, references, classes and functions, as they are important
Once you finished those you can start learning irrlicht by looking at the irrlicht tutorials, or by looking at my code, which will be posted on github sometime soon.

I will make a video once I've got some guns implemented, which shouldn't take too long.

Also, don't just post you email address on forums. Bad thing might happen :twisted:
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

more stuff

Post by CrapHeap »

Pithikos wrote:You should also consider using open standards so not only 3dMax users can play with the models.
I currently use blender, so I guess that'll be all right
Pithikos wrote:Maybe also make a page on github?
Made one,
https://CrapHeap@github.com/CrapHeap/Giants-2.git
You'll probably get a 404, but I guess you can find me if you search for Crapheap ...
Pithikos wrote: ...in case you suddenly get married...
*imagines himself marrying*...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
roflxD

List of stuff you asked is somewhere on this forum, I'll probably forgot something but it's a start, isn't it :wink:
mIchanix96
Kabuto's Playtoy

Hello!!!

Post by mIchanix96 »

You really want make giants 2??? Ask me for a ideas.

P.S. I from Russia, my language skill is :cry:
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Cooooooolito!

Post by Pithikos »

Well done 8)
For others who want to join you can just search for "Giants" at github and you will come on it. Then you can download the source directly from there.

Unfortunately myself I have some busy schedule right now (learning shitty Java at university) but I will take a closer look at your code when I get some free time. I could probably try to add Lua to the game. It would help a lot with testing also.

I am not that familiar with C++ at the moment but I will surely learn later on so I could be of bigger help then.

And believe it or not you might meet your future wife even TOMORROW :lol: