Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Double post for vimp.

Suggestions welcome. I need to add more muscleature to the arms.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I think you meant musculature, Puglin. That vimp looks like it can shoot beams out of its nose.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Musculature, aye. How embarrassing.

Hi Falc :D.

Hmm. Nose-lasers are probably counterproductive given that vimps are supposed to be about the most benign creatures possible.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

That looks pretty good, thanks for posting!
It does look a bit armored, like thick skinned parts (though I like that re-imagining as vimps now look terrible). The 3 nostril type things do look a bit weird, and so does the pattern on the legs.

And Just out of interest, what was your general idea of what this vimp should be like when you started work on it? Always nice to learn how others view this game :)
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Cheers ^.^.

My view on vimps? Vimps are what happens if a tyrannosaurus mates with a rhinoceros and the result had the intelligence of a geriatric cow. Except... Less ferocious. And not very well held together... They always looked like they had plated skin to me, except rather than armour, the plates were just more soft, squishy skin. Love vimps so much.

Besides that... I didn't really HAVE a general idea. Just started with a ball and went with it. I added things like the three nostrils (and the leg detail... Which I think does have to go...) because it looked like it needed more detail... Though theoretically I can fix that lack of detail with a normal map anyway.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Puglin wrote:Vimps are what happens if a tyrannosaurus mates with a rhinoceros and the result had the intelligence of a geriatric cow
Both a tyrannosaurus and rhinoceros have only 1 pair of nostrils, but the two creatures might be an interesting combo. Instead of the intelligence of a cow, give them the intelligence of a dodo bird.

Dodo birds can be hilarious.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

Both a tyrannosaurus and rhinoceros have only 1 pair of nostrils

Yeah, yeah. XD.

Having never encountered a dodo bird I'm not in a position to comment on that last part =P.
GREZZO16
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by GREZZO16 »

any news? i assuming the project is dead

any news from interplay/planetmoon/rocketRogue?

i would like to say what i think about the future of GIANTS:
kickstarter
who want's a Giants 2? or an Enhanced Edition? ME ME ME ME ME ME!
just open an kickstarter project and let's see how much people will help...

byeeee
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

"Hey guys, let's make Giants 2"
- several months of almost nothing happening -
"Hey guys, I stopped work to play WoW"

Anyone who comes here with some wild idea for a project has no idea what they're getting into, and is usually just seeking for attention. Let's not walk down that road again.
GREZZO16
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by GREZZO16 »

ya, just asking what happened to this. i don't want to take part at the project, beside of putting some money (no graphic-programming skills yet) and do some advertise. i'm not searching for attention, just wanna spend my time playing good games. and giants still good but old and after long time...lost some appeal.

Kickstarter hosts different kind of projects like "buying used truck to deliver home made pies in a small town of australia" and seems they achieved the objective. I know kickstarter COULD be a starting point to gain attention and resources for a project like that.

Anyway, as a big fan of Giants, i was very excited about this project by community...

maybe in the future...bah... let's see.

bye byee
Pepys
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pepys »

Hey lads!

It's been a LONG while since I've been here... and I didn't expect this to happen.

I know that many other Giants mods have come and gone, and many tend to discuss ideas rather than pull them off (I know that I am one them), but it was still fun discussing ideas for what would make an awesome Giants 2. I was personally gratified when my ideas were met with enthusiasm by the mod team.

While some aspiring modders probably do post ambitious mod ideas on forums like these for attention, some people usually put such ideas out there because they want to discuss and explore the possibilities for such mods. Even if the ideas can't be pulled off, it's all about getting your ideas out there which might interest other fans.

I do agree that it may be better to do some solid work on the mod before broadcasting it to others, but I still like reading the mod ideas of other users. However, I do wish that my fellow Meccs didn't hype their ideas so much without getting much done. I feel bad for them.
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

I wonder if anyone cares enough to sue for making a sequel to a game 13 years old..
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

They do care if it becomes successful and profitable since they can claim (part of the) profits. The real issue is that even if someone is handing out an unofficial sequel in violation of copyright law for free, they have to defend their copyright. If they don't, it may actually damage their ownership rights. Which in turn, should the game suddenly become profitable, or someone else makes a separate yet profitable version of Giants, the original owners will have a much weaker case.

So yeah, even if they don't care per se, they're kind of against the wall; risk losing protection under law, or sue even though they don't want to.