Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Puglin. wrote:Okay, cool, but... Since when does anyone have that kind of skill/motivation/legal right? I mean, this is awesome, but is no one else Confused?
I have some programming skills(which will hopefully improve during development) and I sure have the motivation. The legal rights is another thing but, as I stated before, if anyone gets irritating I can just rename the game to otubak nezitic stnaig (or something else, maybe a little less obvious :) )
Puglin. wrote:What sort of software do you want me to make a Mecc in? Blender?
Doesn't really matter, as long as you save it in a supported format (preferably md2). A list of supported formats can be found http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/feature ... tedformats, make sure you pick a format in the "animated objects" category, unlike I did for the mecc model :)

I don't know if you have done animations before, but it would help me out a lot if you could do a simple walk/run animation because every time I try to animate models things go horrible wrong(leg bones moving arms or body kind of wrong).
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

chances for a first release are getting slim since I convinced an irl friend to play giants so now I'm constantly playing online :(
Will do heightmap terrain today, looks like it won't take more than half an hour but I'm very bad at estimating eta's.
Next thing will be the physics-based movement (which I haven't done ever before), which may be a little harder, but I'll get through it (and if not, please spam me with pm's to get me going again :) )
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

OMG.

Post by Depeus »

This is so epic, I can't wait. I hope this game has better graphics than other Giants game, but I don't want them to be graphics like crysis 2 because my comp can't handle crysis 2 :P

This will be epic than any other game! I can't wait so excited, I want to be alpha/beta tester, OMG I think I'm hallucinating o.O :DDDD
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

OMG.

Post by Depeus »

This is so epic, I can't wait. I hope this game has better graphics than other Giants game, but I don't want them to be graphics like crysis 2 because my comp can't handle crysis 2 :P

This will be epic than any other game! I can't wait so excited, I want to be alpha/beta tester, OMG I think I'm hallucinating o.O :DDDD
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

All I have to say is, if you're going to make another Giants it needs the quirks that the old one had. Like mines being able to detonate proximity missles, and rocket jumping, etc. The game needs new quirks honestly, as it could have been a lot better. Maybe some sort of a strafejump like quake or something. But, I don't think the physics engine you are talking about can do that, can it? I did notice that walking on diagonals is faster than walking forward or just strafing. Seemed to combine the speed of both. Another weird quirk I used to use to dodge missles.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: OMG.

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:This is so epic, I can't wait. I hope this game has better graphics than other Giants game, but I don't want them to be graphics like crysis 2 because my comp can't handle crysis 2 :P

I don't think I will ever be able to surpass the epicness of GCK (or the graphics of crysis 2 :P ). And you will probably be disappointed by the first release, which I wouldn't even call an alpha but an (early stage) tech demo (and even that will probably exaggerated). It will probably take me at least a year to make it as good as other free games.
SPrinkZ wrote:All I have to say is, if you're going to make another Giants it needs the quirks that the old one had. Like mines being able to detonate proximity missles, and rocket jumping, etc. The game needs new quirks honestly, as it could have been a lot better. Maybe some sort of a strafejump like quake or something. But, I don't think the physics engine you are talking about can do that, can it? I did notice that walking on diagonals is faster than walking forward or just strafing. Seemed to combine the speed of both. Another weird quirk I used to use to dodge missles.
Bullet is pretty basic but I think it can do strafejumps. I'm not sure how they work though as I don't play quake.
And if you go diagonal you go probably 1.41421356... times faster (square root of 2, look up Pythagoras for more information), which is (or was) quite common in games. Rocket jumping shouldn't be that hard to integrate either, and I'm sure I'll find some more fun things I can use(won't be in the first release but then again, there will be practically nothing in the first release :) ).
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

Strafe jumping is a simple mechanic in all of the good quake titles. Quake Live, Quake 3 CPMA (ESPECIALLY).

Basically it's just you gain air speed when you strafe and aim a certain way. It requires pretty impeccable timing after you gain a lot of speed. Because you'll have to jump just the frame you make contact with the ground, then shift your cursor to the opposite side, while strafing the other direction. It's a rhythm thing. I've always liked movement tricks that are part of the physics, and not intended necessarily but arise out of the mass of information. Sort of like how wavedashing, wavelanding, edge-canceling, etc got integrated into super smash brothers. Without those movement quirks the game wouldn't be as deep. Giants needs faster ground movement or tricks to acquire it, but it what it really needed was a viable advanced jetpack. Beyond rejuicing faster it should have given you additional nitros so you can be more maneuverable, or it should have just been a maneuverable jetpack to begin with.

The parabolas that jetpackers normally take are easy to predict and land shots on with pretty much anything.

If you're going to go and make a giants 2. I'd just try to keep in mind the movement of the game. I think that is what sold Giants to me. I'm an avid fan of FPS, but only fast ones like quake. COD I have to be drunk and high for to even bare the cumbersome pace.

This game had a lot of potential for depth and whatnot. It's just unfortunate it got shipped out the way it did.

I kind of can't believe this is happening. Since this community has pondered this idea quite a lot. I don't care if it comes out with the worst graphics ever. If it is even half as good as quake live graphics (which are awful) I'd be happy. I just would love to see the game with all its mechanics and some additional ones to augment the weaker of the mecc packs. Shielding is still way overpowered, and all the packs should have been made at least semi-viable. At high levels of play in this game a shielder can just snipe and shield. Kind of ridiculous.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

I can wait a year.

Post by Depeus »

I can certainly wait a year if it's going to be as good as I think it is. Please release the 0.000000000001 version asap :D

1 More thing, Please don't leave this game hanging on it's own when it's made :3 And if you are going to sell it (Which is probably illegal anyway) I would love to have a [FREE] copy, lol.
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

I'm Shure we could arrange a free download link here, though the zip/rar file containing the program would be unwieldly and massive, possibly too big for the site. However, it could be e-mailed to each member who "applys" for a copy, and thus saving our downloads section. the game could also be updated monthly, each time adding new components to the game, the entire finalised game could all be based on this "0.000000000001" version.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Wow

Post by Depeus »

This is gonna beat the original, Shame on you planetmoon! This is going to be (I hope) a very good game from what I see.

Please make it so you can play as sea reapers, but make sure there like reapers, but with mech technolagy or something like that. Don't forget about vechicles in the game, but don't add too many D:

Oh yeah my email is: Depeus@gmail.com

Just tell me here when you mailed me because I don't check my emails to often. :D EPICCCCC.

1 More thing, Please add major content every now and then.
e.g A new vehicle has been added for mech!

Something like that :P Can't wait.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

No time for quotes, sorry

No this is not going to beat the original because that is quite impossible :P

And I will most likely implement reapers and probably some basic vehicles (but not in the 0.0000000000000001 release). I was also thinking that if I made the basic game and a basic map some other guys (yes I mean you) could make more interesting maps since I am not good in map design.

And I dunno about the download via mail, I was thinking of a torrrent file or sourceforge.
And yahoo only allows attachments under 25mb :(

It's not going to be as good as you think :)
And I'm going to make it free (as in both free beer AND freedom of speech, GPL rules!) and I'll try to support it as long as I can, at least 1 or 2 years, dunno about the years after that.

And I'll try to make the jetpack as good as I can. Won't be in the first release though.
I'll also try to keep the pace high. And you'll probably like sauerbraten, the pace there is as high as possible.

And yes, cod sucks :)

can't check for typing error due to lack of time, sorry about that.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Cheers

Post by Depeus »

Thanks for answering all my Qs, I also think that it can be a game up to very good standereds if your team put their mind to it :D

I wish you very, very, very (recurring) good luck on this game. I wish planetmoon had worked on it though.

Voice acting/sounds is one problem you will probebly come across (Enless you already have.)

1 more thing The only down-side about the GCK maps was the fact that when you looked at it, All it had was that kabuto, reaper, mech spawn points a few trees, a few destructible buildings and smarties, if you could add something to give it more taste, then that would be superb.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Cheers

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:Thanks for answering all my Qs, I also think that it can be a game up to very good standereds if your team put their mind to it :D

I wish you very, very, very (recurring) good luck on this game. I wish planetmoon had worked on it though.

Voice acting/sounds is one problem you will probebly come across (Enless you already have.)

1 more thing The only down-side about the GCK maps was the fact that when you looked at it, All it had was that kabuto, reaper, mech spawn points a few trees, a few destructible buildings and smarties, if you could add something to give it more taste, then that would be superb.
Again, I have no team and I will probably never reach planet moon's "l33t programming skilz" :D .

Sounds should be no problem, as there are massive databases of sounds online and irrlicht has a semi-integrated sound engine (irrklang). Dunno about voice acting but I'll figure it out... someday.

I don't know how to create interesting terrain, especially outdoor terrain. Maybe mecc spaceship or some sort of city.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Wow

Post by Depeus »

That would be sweet, Maybe you need to advertise else-where and look for someone to help you with all this code, It's sounds tuff you handeling the sounds, the code, all that. I would love to be a tester and find bugs.

There is one way you could of made the game powerfuller, You could of used UDK, but maybe that stuff is advanced? I only played around w/ the demo levels on that thing.

I just hope that the game will be somewhat good if you say you can't get these "l33t programing skills" D: Please be good, Please be good....It looks good from the photos on the facebook page, Please be good...Stay calm it'll be alright :P
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Wow (and I found out you can add a subject to your post!

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:That would be sweet, Maybe you need to advertise else-where and look for someone to help you with all this code, It's sounds tuff you handeling the sounds, the code, all that. I would love to be a tester and find bugs.

There is one way you could of made the game powerfuller, You could of used UDK, but maybe that stuff is advanced? I only played around w/ the demo levels on that thing.

I just hope that the game will be somewhat good if you say you can't get these "l33t programing skills" D: Please be good, Please be good....It looks good from the photos on the facebook page, Please be good...Stay calm it'll be alright :P
You can be bugfinder if you want, I also have a friend who composes music in his spare time. You can see some of his moderner stuff on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterLextoc, he's now working on some classic music which will fit the giants-theme better.

UDK looks like yet another sdk for "I can't code but I want to make a game"-people and I've passed that state about 2 years ago :) .
Besides being "too easy" it looks less flexible than irrlicht due to the fact that it's all GUI-based.

And the game will be good, if I find enough time to work on it. That's the main problem right now as I am a slow coder because I can't type blind (I use a qwerty-keyboard but in Belgium most people use azerty so every time I use another computer keys are placed different, resulting in all sorts of mistypes).

And the photos on Facebook are not that good, you can see a piece of the background in the cropped photo, probably used the irrlicht renderer (it' quite good in 2d but "not that good" in 3d) instead of opengl (yes there is support for directX).