Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

Giants_Gamer32 wrote:
Xentek wrote:My point is that this isn't a serious project. All that has been posted so far is about 2 pages of "I'll release 0.infinitezero1 at x", followed by a non working exe. Can't help but get the feeling people are just getting bullshitted.

So how I see it, this project is a joke and all in all, a big waste of time. The chances of this actually being worth playing are next to zero.
Go make some decent maps, skins, tools or whatever for the game that we have and already know is good and people actually play and want to play.
If this ammount of half-assed effort could be put into attracting people that have only known singleplayer into the community, we'd have something a lot more tangible let alone useful than this pile of spam.

But I have to admit, looking at some noobs spout gamebreaking ideas like "NO SNIPER DELAY" is sort of funny at least.
I could not agree with you more.
Define: serious project.
If you mean a project with a manager, programmers, designers, testers, then no it's not. But neither is SpringRTS then.

If there were more people playing Giants then I am sure it would be a much better situation. But having 10-20 people still interested in this game, don't have unrealistic expectations. Or better don't have unrealistic timelines.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Xentek wrote:Not that I was that optimistic to begin with.
Pithikos wrote:Define: serious project.
Like I said, I do not feel CrapHeap is taking this project very seriously. This in the sense that he only marginally seems dedicated to making it; especially considering he isn't active online or in the community besides this topic and the idea board. It just feels like a gimmick with no real chances of ever getting to a point it would be worthwile to lose the hard drive space over.
Pithikos wrote:If there were more people playing Giants then I am sure it would be a much better situation. But having 10-20 people still interested in this game, don't have unrealistic expectations. Or better don't have unrealistic timelines.
Pithikos wrote:It's the gameplay that needs change and for that you need the source code, not some hacks.
So Tasiin's hard work and dedication is just a bunch of hacks. Too bad without those hacks there wouldn't be anyone interested in this game anymore. GSA has died and the only way people find games is with the 1.5 BETA patch features. Without the announcement of the beta, a lot of people woulnd't have come back to the game either, and with that, these boards.

Also, let me remind you (again) it's not the 'amazing depth' of the multiplayer that has kept this game going. It has been the community, people that like to hang out with each other and play some games together in between the chat sessions (like we had on GSA). Then you start complaining about how few people still play this game (people only still play due to very hard work from Tasiin), but at the same time show no interest for the very thing that has kept this game going; without the beta patches, and the community it has held together, this game would have been gone; taking the reason for this project ever existing along with it.
Xentek wrote:I can respect it takes forever for one person to make a game ...
I'm not telling him to stop the project, I'm not saying I don't have general respect for CrapHeap. I just don't respect this half-hearted attempt at making something completely pointless. But by all means, knock yourself out, just don't ask my respect for it when you don't seem to have earned it.
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

Xentek wrote: So Tasiin's hard work and dedication is just a bunch of hacks. Too bad without those hacks there wouldn't be anyone interested in this game anymore. GSA has died and the only way people find games is with the 1.5 BETA patch features. Without the announcement of the beta, a lot of people woulnd't have come back to the game either, and with that, these boards.

Also, let me remind you (again) it's not the 'amazing depth' of the multiplayer that has kept this game going. It has been the community, people that like to hang out with each other and play some games together in between the chat sessions (like we had on GSA). Then you start complaining about how few people still play this game (people only still play due to very hard work from Tasiin), but at the same time show no interest for the very thing that has kept this game going; without the beta patches, and the community it has held together, this game would have been gone; taking the reason for this project ever existing along with it.
Well technically they are just hacks. That doesn't mean I question their work. Quite the opposite.. I have full respect for their time and efford. But the game is always going to look the same no-matter how hard you try to change it with hacks. It's just impossible to make big changes with hacks. For example something trivial that I always wanted is to be able and write bots, something impossible with the current state of game.
Overall the game has been very static visually for all last years and that's why it would be a good thing to advance it. As the publisher is never going to give the source, it can be a good idea to build our own engine like the guys on SpringRTS did for the gold Total Annihilation. But for that, people with some experience is needed or at least some understanding on how things work and don't put too high goals.

Personally there are only two games I ever play: Kabuto and SpringRT. The reason I love these two games is their gameplay, not the community. Sure there is a great community there on both games but I don't think you would sit and play Tetris because of the community. Game comes first, community follows.

The reason I told CrapHead to make it opensource is that I was quite sure he wouldn't stick to the project full-time. That's the joy of open source. When someone stops developing, the code is still there for others to build on. When I finish the book I read now on game engines and learn some C++ I will check his code and write on it personally.

Your suggestion on building maps etc is not going to happen. I had tried before to make a map but had a really hard time because of lack of documentation. On the other hand I have made several maps on SpringRTS because of the richness of their documentation(I still wonder why there isn't a wiki here).
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Woah!

Post by Depeus »

Guys, I'm pretty sure CrapHeap is doing is best to try keep his life and get progress on the game, you see without another coder were gonna be here along time arguing about whos perfume smells better.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Pithikos wrote:It's just impossible to make big changes with hacks.
You're right - adding features such as automatic distribution of custom maps without need for an external mod manager (as was the case before the 1.4x beta patches were released) is indeed a tiny and miniscule change - and certainly not a significant step forward for a game that never had any official mod or custom world support in any way shape or form.

You mention the lack of changes in the game's graphics a couple times in your post - personally I'd rank such things as visual overhauls far below every other positive change that the game has undergone in recent years.
Pithikos wrote:For example something trivial that I always wanted is to be able and write bots, something impossible with the current state of game
Good luck with that.
Pithikos
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Pithikos »

Z0PharX wrote: You're right - adding features such as automatic distribution of custom maps without need for an external mod manager (as was the case before the 1.4x beta patches were released) is indeed a tiny and miniscule change - and certainly not a significant step forward for a game that never had any official mod or custom world support in any way shape or form.
Well if there was the source code that feature could be fixed in a snap. That's my point.. As I said earlier I don't question the effort people have put into this. But how long time has it taken to do even subtle improvements. Changing the sniper's range for example is just changing the value of an integer. But without the source code that can take significant time even if it is a minor thing.
Z0PharX wrote: You mention the lack of changes in the game's graphics a couple times in your post - personally I'd rank such things as visual overhauls far below every other positive change that the game has undergone in recent years.
I never mention a change in graphics. Gameplay>Graphics for me. That's why I still play Kabuto :)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

OMG

Post by Depeus »

Given up? =(
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: OMG

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:Given up? =(
Nope, just very busy right now. Will be better next month :)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

^^

Post by Depeus »

ok ^^
NKNWN
Lord of the Vimps

Re: Giants 2 anyone?

Post by NKNWN »

CrapHeap wrote:Hello everyone!
I was wondering if somebody will sue me if I (try to) make a sequel to Giants.
you're going to do the sequel with the same graphics engine, or better graphics?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: Giants 2 anyone?

Post by CrapHeap »

dudewithaguitar wrote:
CrapHeap wrote:Hello everyone!
I was wondering if somebody will sue me if I (try to) make a sequel to Giants.
you're going to do the sequel with the same graphics engine, or better graphics?
i'm using a different graphics engine, but I'll use the original models until i get someone to make better ones.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

It's over

Post by Depeus »

I guess that's what happens when I put trust into a kid :(
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

It's funny because I just went and made a next-gen vimp model and now I have nothing to do with it.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Make screens and post them on GWD.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

It's pretty sh** at the moment. Plus I havent rigged or textured it, since I've had exams. Still, I can show you the geometry.