Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

:D

Post by Depeus »

The one thing Giants 1 lacked was it's modability. Sure you could make terrain with the map editor, But wouldn't it be awesome to import my own models ? ? ? :D
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

Realy? I think Giants was very easy to mod, just take a look at our downloads section. However, There were a few things that coulden't be altered so easy, like the buildings and terrain. Making giants 2 easy to alter would be a nice perk.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: :D

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:The one thing Giants 1 lacked was it's modability. Sure you could make terrain with the map editor, But wouldn't it be awesome to import my own models ? ? ? :D
I think moddability won't be a problem, I intend to use common formats for models (md2/obj) and terrain (bmp heightmaps), entire campaigns and/or new playable characters will probably have to be coded though.
[ION]Nagadkcin wrote:Realy? I think Giants was very easy to mod, just take a look at our downloads section. However, There were a few things that coulden't be altered so easy, like the buildings and terrain. Making giants 2 easy to alter would be a nice perk.
Giants's not very moddable in comparision with other games, sure you can make new maps, but that's about it
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

CrapHeap wrote:
Depeus wrote:The one thing Giants 1 lacked was it's modability. Sure you could make terrain with the map editor, But wouldn't it be awesome to import my own models ? ? ? :D
I think moddability won't be a problem, I intend to use common formats for models (md2/obj) and terrain (bmp heightmaps), entire campaigns and/or new playable characters will probably have to be coded though.
[ION]Nagadkcin wrote:Realy? I think Giants was very easy to mod, just take a look at our downloads section. However, There were a few things that coulden't be altered so easy, like the buildings and terrain. Making giants 2 easy to alter would be a nice perk.
Giants's not very moddable in comparision with other games, sure you can make new maps, but that's about it
Yeah, check my New York map :lol: .
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Giants_Gamer32 wrote:
CrapHeap wrote:
Yeah, check my New York map :lol: .
I think I played that one some time ago with a friend, it's pretty good imo :)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Cannot Wait :)

Post by Depeus »

Will play the 0.00000000001 version even if it is crap :D
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

I have a full week holiday! 0.000000000000001 version inc!
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Depeus »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :)
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Apparently I am going to the coast (dunno how to say it in proper English) for 2 days which means the 0.000000001 will be a bit delayed (again).
I will try to take a laptop with me, but the only one at hand is 10 years old and I can't take my PC with me because I only have CRT-screens weighing 10 or more kilos (no they are not crap, some even have support for stereo-thingies).

It also means no internet so I won't be able to post anything th following days :( .
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

NOT THE 0.00000001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just a backup)

Post by CrapHeap »

I (7-) zipped my code and uploaded it with google docs:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-bGSv ... y=CPbCqYwP

You should be able to download it, if not please notify me.
NOTE: This is NOT the 0.00000000001 version, this is just a backup of my code in case a Debian installer (yes I'm switching back to linux, goodbye windoze!) succeeds in erasing my disk. You can download it to see if you will be able to run the game but I don't recommend it as there is no readme file or any gameplay included.

The binaries are in ./Dev/Giants2/bin/Debug (win 32 only), all else is source code and you probably don't want to mess around with that unless you know what you're doing (codeblocks project should be in ./Dev/Giants2). The file can be opened with 7-zip, maybe other archive-openers open it as well.

I will try to finish the 0.000000001 version asap but apparently people get mad at me if I code all day (and all night :) ) so again, I can't promise anything.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

Back from the coast, Debian killed my windows and apparently I have no package manager (= not good).
I'll try to get codeblocks running so I can begin coding on my new os, and if windows decides to pop up on grub I will be a happy man.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

-commits suicide-

Post by CrapHeap »

Fixed windows and debian, Physics decided not to work on linux so I'm going back to windoze, will try to fix terrain physics tonight, then I'll see to physics-based movements, then I'll add a simple ai-dude running at the player and kaboom baby: 0.00000000001 ready (if everything goes according to plan).
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Depeus »

Cool :)
[ION]Sgt.JackReaper
Sappho's Henchman

cool

Post by [ION]Sgt.JackReaper »

well the new giants is slowly but truly comeing on it rigth place :D
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

You think this is slow?
If I were part of a big game company I would still be working on concept art.
(blimey, I knew I forgot something!)