Giants 2 anyone?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

back

Post by HellSnake »

hey lads, back from vacantion, what have i missed? :p

i see alot of people have noticed the development, i' m really gonna laugh if this project actually takes off! but i was thinking. ain' t there like copyright problems? i totally see interplay/planetmoon sueing somebody when we gain popularity.

but further, can some1 explain me in short what has happend, i aint got the time to read 54 posts.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Heh.

Post by Depeus »

I would love to be a bug tester.
I read all the posts in the topic, Yes I'm sad :P.
I think if copyright were gonna come into this they would of fore-seen it. I ♥ Giants and would ♥ to be a bug finder :D
Nagadkcin
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Nagadkcin »

I think the notion of a bugfinder is rather funny, having such a small fanbase, woulden't everyone be a Beta tester. :)
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Hey!!

Post by Depeus »

MAI TITLEEEEEEEEEEEE You can be beta testers, Though I am bugfinder ^.^
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Re: back

Post by Xentek »

HellSnake wrote:i was thinking. ain' t there like copyright problems? i totally see interplay/planetmoon sueing somebody when we gain popularity.
Copyright only handles copying material made by others which also can't be labeled as "fair use".
Trademark applies to the GCK name, which won't be used.

Anyway, you can't copyright ideas; and I don't think Giants has a patent running on it (or is even possible).
As it stands it's, a non-issue.

And hey, even if he does get sued, it wont be anyone's problem cept his :p
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Depeus »

I don't want him to get sued... I will sue planetmoon first >.<, lol.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

lots of quotes inc!

Post by CrapHeap »

HellSnake wrote:hey lads, back from vacantion, what have i missed? :p

i see alot of people have noticed the development, i' m really gonna laugh if this project actually takes off! but i was thinking. ain' t there like copyright problems? i totally see interplay/planetmoon sueing somebody when we gain popularity.

but further, can some1 explain me in short what has happend, i aint got the time to read 54 posts.
I uploaded some photos of meccs rendered in blender (and 1 rendered in Irrlicht), I announced the 0.000000000000001 release coming somewhere this (or next) month (gameplay ideas found in idea board), SPrinkZ gave some suggestions concerning movement and backpacks and the rest of the post are about how epic you guys think this game is going to be and how bad I think the game is going to be :P .
I also posted a lot of stuff on facebook.

Yell at me if I forgot something :) .
Depeus wrote:I would love to be a bug tester.
I read all the posts in the topic, Yes I'm sad .
I think if copyright were gonna come into this they would of fore-seen it. I ♥ Giants and would ♥ to be a bug finder :)
You're not sad, you're just a nolifer and you should be proud of it! :P
[ION]Nagadkcin wrote:I think the notion of a bugfinder is rather funny, having such a small fanbase, woulden't everyone be a Beta tester. :)
Dunno if everyone can get the game running, it won't have a separate beta stage, and I'm sure everyone will find bugs :) .
Depeus wrote:MAI TITLEEEEEEEEEEEE You can be beta testers, Though I am bugfinder ^.^
Maybe I should give people ranks:
1 - 25 times played: lamer
25 - 50 times: beta tester
50 - 100 times: bugfinder
100 - 200 times: freak
Xentek wrote:
HellSnake wrote:i was thinking. ain' t there like copyright problems? i totally see interplay/planetmoon sueing somebody when we gain popularity.
Copyright only handles copying material made by others which also can't be labeled as "fair use".
Trademark applies to the GCK name, which won't be used.

Anyway, you can't copyright ideas; and I don't think Giants has a patent running on it (or is even possible).
As it stands it's, a non-issue.

And hey, even if he does get sued, it wont be anyone's problem cept his :p
You're a bad person :) .
But I'll see if I can find something in the copyright thing about people using their ideas.
Depeus wrote:I don't want him to get sued... I will sue planetmoon first >.<, lol.
lol
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

The movement in Giants is kinda bad. Hence why I mentioned it. At least the ground speed is. Jetpacks are good and all, but there isn't much air, or ground control. Well, ground control yes, but it's slow as hell.

Game needs more control. That's all I'm saying.
Depeus
Lord of the Vimps

o.O

Post by Depeus »

Hmmm I probably just popped my own bubble....Compatibility with windows7?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Re: o.O

Post by CrapHeap »

Depeus wrote:Hmmm I probably just popped my own bubble....Compatibility with windows7?
Dunno, I only have a binary compiled on windows xp (32bit) now, dunno if it'll work on 7 but you can always compile it yourself.
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

CrapHeap wrote:
Depeus wrote:Hmmm I probably just popped my own bubble....Compatibility with windows7?
Dunno, I only have a binary compiled on windows xp (32bit) now, dunno if it'll work on 7 but you can always compile it yourself.
You just gave me an idea: I might release a not-very-interactive version to see if everyone can run the game (maybe a little piece of code I already have), the 0.0000000001 release will be released after that (prob next week).
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by HellSnake »

CrapHeap wrote:
well, your are writing it in C++ and openGL?
with those you should be able to port it to all systems, would like to have giants on ubuntu :>
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

HellSnake wrote:
CrapHeap wrote:
well, your are writing it in C++ and openGL?
with those you should be able to port it to all systems, would like to have giants on ubuntu :>
Irrlicht supports opengl, as well as direct3d8.1/9c, something called burning's video and the irrlicht software driver, it should run on Windoze, Linux and OSuX (yes that's mac).
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Is patch 1.5 and this new giants 2 project taking place at the same time, or is giants 2 a replacement?
CrapHeap
Yan the Pimp

Post by CrapHeap »

DarkFalcoZ wrote:Is patch 1.5 and this new giants 2 project taking place at the same time, or is giants 2 a replacement?
Giants 2 has nothing to do with the 1.5 patch, giants 2 will (probably) be a completely new game using a different engine, different file formats and a lot of other different stuff.