The good old days of gaming with giants, who was there?

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

How have games changed over the years?

I agree with what has been said!
17%
New games are to expensive to buy these days.
4%
I think games have got better over the years.
8%
I think games have got worse over the years.
13%
I dont know?
4%
I dont really care!
4%
GIANTS IS THE BEST! AND NOTHING CAN BEAT IT!
38%
Hay!? Im not that old!
13%

Total votes: 24

Rollo
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Rollo »

Gaming has gotten worse. Sure, we got some good titles also, but most of them are not that good. But maybe that is because we have seen them all. Most shooters are just.. another shooter. There are hardly original games anymore like Sacrifice or Giants.

Also I liked games like daggerfall/morrowind or deus ex or whatever. Most of the times the follow up are crap. Oblivion was still good, but just like morrowind to daggerfall, Oblivion had far less options then morrowind. It was consolized. Same with deus ex 2, it was far less then deus ex. Less options and unified ammo lol.

Games get simplified and we have seen them all. Oh yeah, another call of duty. Good games, but again same gameplay.

I find myself playing older games more often recently. Currently I play Morrowind, doom 1 and 2 and hexen and heretic 2. One of my favourite new games is Mount and Blade which reminded my a bit of the old dos game "ancient art of war". End of the month the expansion WARBAND comes out (already playing beta) and it's fun. A simple concept, but highly addicting if you like knights.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

<3
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

My dad bought giants when I was 9, he played it, and let me play sometimes. Eventually, I took over, and the rest is history.

I'm 17 now, I'm proud to say I wasted countless hours on this game, and upon my return, I hope to waste even more.
[PL] Przemek
Yan the Pimp

Post by [PL] Przemek »

Was in old good days more multiplayer players?
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by HellSnake »

[PL] Przemek wrote:Was in old good days more multiplayer players?
yes
[PL] Przemek
Yan the Pimp

Post by [PL] Przemek »

Heh, I would like to enter to in-game multiplayer servers browser and see 2 full servers and one half-full :)

ehh :(

I'm so sad that this time is gone :(
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

Around 600 or so
[PL] Przemek
Yan the Pimp

Post by [PL] Przemek »

Salazar wrote:
Around 600 or so
Oh God, why these times will never come back :cry:
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

First bought the game of a magazine, FullGames it is called I think.

Couldn't stop playing it for a whole year. Then I started map making, and then I slowly stopped playing. Must be a long time now.

I was 15 when I started I think, now I'm 22.

Maybe the copyrights are expired now? Then someone can come up with Giants 2.0, make a lotta money and we will have a full game lobby again. (It wasn't full anymore when I started though).
[PL] Przemek
Yan the Pimp

Post by [PL] Przemek »

Polish Wikipedia says that copyrights expired after 70 years from first release. So we got to wait to 2070...
aflack
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by aflack »

hahahaha. i still install this game on every computer i've built/bought over the years, even though i don't play it. guess it's just a sentimental deal. getting hammered drunk and ambushing some NEO's with the bush on the IAOLS.com dedicated server was the best.

this game kicked ass because a game could go from people screwing around to a serious duel at anytime. Everyone clears mid and watches from the base walls while two people go at it, with plenty of trash talking on vent (teamspeak at the time). When someone hit 10 we'd just go back to noob bashing. zoph still is a noob, and i think he tried to build a jetpack in RL. True story.
eXistenZ
Yan the Pimp

Post by eXistenZ »

aflack wrote:hahahaha. i still install this game on every computer i've built/bought over the years, even though i don't play it. guess it's just a sentimental deal. getting hammered drunk and ambushing some NEO's with the bush on the IAOLS.com dedicated server was the best.

this game kicked ass because a game could go from people screwing around to a serious duel at anytime. Everyone clears mid and watches from the base walls while two people go at it, with plenty of trash talking on vent (teamspeak at the time). When someone hit 10 we'd just go back to noob bashing. zoph still is a noob, and i think he tried to build a jetpack in RL. True story.
zoph tried to build a real jetpack? rofl..
[PL] Przemek
Yan the Pimp

Post by [PL] Przemek »

Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

Giants still has a chance ;o

DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

I recognize only 3 names in that pic. Are those new players or just people smurfin?