Gamespy & Vista (by [BA]Fraiser)

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Casqad
Lord of the Vimps

Gamespy & Vista (by [BA]Fraiser)

Post by Casqad »

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespyarcad ... id=2032622

Hello,

|If sombody has already posted a workaround for Windows Vista, please excuse me... but I certainly couldn't find one :P|

For those who are unable to access lobbies and are on the Windows Vista platform, there is a work-around to getting lobbies to work. It is a bit tedious, but until gamespy releases a patch it's a quick fix.

It's a bit complicating, so I'll do my best to try and explain everything clearly.

The first thing you have to do is to click the game in your 'my games' list. If the service map is already downloaded, that's great news.

I'm going to be using C&C Renegade as the example in this tutorial.

You should see a list of game lobbies to join now, and clicking on them should fail. Instead, right-click on the lobby and hit COPY SHORTCUT. Open up notepad, and paste the link. You should see a file:/// protocall link. Look towards the end of the link to where it says OpenGroupRoom, and look for the number between these characters "%7C" xxx "%7C". So this link: OpenGroupRoom((01)Construction%20Yard%7C357%7C) would be 357.

Next, navigate to C:\Program Files\Gamespy Arcade\services\ and look for a folder that resembles your game. I see a folder called ccrenegade, that must be it!

Now, while gamespy is in the foreground, hit CTRL+O, and type in the following:

foldername:///?type=group&group=number where 'foldername' is the name of the game's folder in /services, and 'number' is the number of the lobby we found earlier. So for cnc renegade I would type in:

ccrenegade:///?type=group&group=357

It would probably be a good idea to save the link, once you've figured it out.

If this method doesn't work for you, please let me know.

-Fraiser