Texture pack

General comments and topics relating to Giants.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

Texture pack

Post by Zopharks »

[NEO]Vortex has been working on a high resolution texture pack for the various objects in the game. The first version will be released shortly.

Images that show some of the new textures (mainly the new Mecc base textures) can be found at at http://vort.thenewfrontier.net/mod/
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

looks great !
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

looks... weird O_o
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

Weird, indeed.
3D-anvil
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by 3D-anvil »

it's a beautiful job done. 2 thumbs up for ya Vort!!!
:D
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

It's very detailed, but it does.. just look weird. =p
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

right now it changes:

enhanced water's look
most of the mecc base (screenshots in the OP)
various things around MvM1 and 2 Example
explosions/effects Example
crosshairs (higher res, however exactly like the originals) Example
and the "weapon slots" hud has been changed, I was originally planning on redoing the entire hud but I was lazy... maybe in the next version

install it, host or join an MvM game and mess around with all the weapons (except the sniper) you'll notice new stuff. I hope you like it, and please actually read the readme. :P
Last edited by [NEO]Vortex on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eXistenZ
Yan the Pimp

Post by eXistenZ »

good work vort :D
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

also, this should not lower your fps no matter how crappy your comp is... I run on a GF4 MX 420 (in other words.. GF2) and I only suffer maybe a 3-4 fps drop

edit: ex said his fps didn't change at all, he's using some FX card and a p4 2.x ghz I think

edit2: it's on GWD now
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Due to the textures being mich larger and much sharper, sometimes textures will appear to "shimmer" when you move while looking at the object(s).
This is because Giants' MIP-mapping is not working properly, and is an unavoidable engine limitation. To enabled MIP-mapping, you must alt-tab after joining a game in full screen mode then go back into Giants to "restore" the textures. This will seem to apply a slight blur to all textures, but what it's actually doing is using smaller resolution textures created and stored in memory when the textures are being "restored"
Or you can turn on anisotropic filtering
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

... which doesn't work without mip-mapping, and only serves to break the fog effect hiding distant terrain.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

It helped get rid of the "shimmer", without alt-tabbing, and is meant to sharpen textures in a 3D view.
It may have some side-effects on the fog effect though.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

I've never seen anything other than this happen with anisotropic filtering enabled, on two different computers with a GeForce 6800 GT and a Radeon 9700 Pro with newish drivers. Even if it does help reduce the shimmering (which it doesn't seem to for me, though maybe you've had better luck with it than I have) the trade-off in image quality simply isn't worth it. Believe me, we've tried everything we can think of to stop this from happening, but alt tabbing is the best solution we've come up with thus far.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Anisotropic filtering seems to work just fine for me, and in a way that it actually does what it's supposed to do.
There shouldn't be any "trade-off in image quality", as anisotropic is only supposed to increase image quality.
I have seen errors such as these though (only in Giants) caused by anisotropic filtering, but turning it on may be a solution to some people.

ps. I have a radeon 9800 pro
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

AF also removed the fog on my 9700pro (before it died, anyhow) personally I think removing the fog makes the terrain look like sh**, so I'd always alt-tab anyways.

I asked a friend who uses a 9800pro to try Giants with AF, his screenshot was nothing different than Tasiin's.