1.5 Feature Request

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

King
Administrator

1.5 Feature Request

Post by King »

Use this thread to post what you want to see added in the 1.5 patch. There are no promises that your request will show up, but those features that receive the most requests will also receive the most attention in development.

Some basic rules for posts:
1) EVERY post will be on topic. Spamming will result in warning and then temp ban.
2) Include feature request and a brief explanation.
3) See the following post for an example.
Last edited by King on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Request: Redirection on "World Not Found"

Description: Either auto-download the newest patch or redirect users to a site where they can download the patch.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

request: a way around GMM

description: patch 1.5 could include GMM, or something similar (built into the giants executable?), maybe the nullpointer patch could be included automatically too, so no 20 patches have to be downloaded when re-installing giants + newbies won't have this much trouble joining games that require them to download a patch anymore.
Pinchy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Pinchy »

Ping filter, damn those pesky 56k'ers.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Well

Request: built in enchanced patch (the multi kab patch)

Description: Plz PLZ PLZ change the patch
so the host doesnt have to pick every player a team
or that "join 1" deal.
People will leave game...
Telling every new player...
Force Joinable should always be activated for this game
its better you choose No New Players...
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Couple random things I wouldn't mind seeing.

• Ability to switch that blasted blaster out for an alternate weapon (An RPG is infinitely more usefull than the pea shooter).

• A slight boost to jetpack fuel when using the jetpack upgrade might help to add some jet vs shield balance (make it easier for jetters to dodge shots).

• Something to prevent kicked users from constantly reconnecting to a server (ie when someone is kicked, they cannot rejoin - Similar to what happens when you're kicked from a GSA staging room).

• Two or three additional flares.

I also wouldn't mind being able to minimize windowed/dedicated games (Currently, doing that causes them to crash), but that's not really a biggy.
Mutilator
Yan the Pimp

Post by Mutilator »

I just press the start button to minimize make games, and it never crashes when I do that.

Maybe a skin selector. The files could be put in a .zip file, or a .pak or something, which Giants loads the files from when you select that skin from the in-game menu. Maybe also something to you can see each other's custom skins. That would be really cool.

I think there should be a GMM built in thing on it. Then it will just download cutom maps anyway, and no problems.

Maybe an auto-update downloader thing, so that if you bring out updated fr 1,5, like 1.5.3.6.2.45 or whatever, it will automatically ask the user if they want to download it. This will be really useful for bug fixes and things.

The Giants Enhance, definately built in. Maybe an extra menu with all the Giants Enhancer options on it.

Maybe a link to GWD in the main menu, for people who have never heard of it, and just got the patch off someone on MSn or something.

Thats about it. I'll give my fingers a rest now.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

Credits somewhere for the people that made the patch. We would all be in your debt.
I say keep the pea, that way, there is more evening out. 4 weapons to choose from is a bit too much.
I say built in GMM is more of a luxury then a necessity.
I agree with zops input about the slight boost to jetpack fuel, but this might be too hard.
Anything to prevent kicked gamers from returning would make evryone ecstatic.
Additional flares aren't needed. =P Once again, more of a luxury and it would just make the game easier for flare users. the game is balanced as it is.
A ping filter would be nice, but NOT a necessity.
Re-directing people to a place where they can download the patch, like King said, is a great idea, but this would only be in the 1.5 patch, so unless there is another patch after, this is kind of pointless.
A GiantsWD link somewhere on the menu, seeing as this is the main site and is where you can get all the updates. This, however, might be pointless for updates if the redirection thing King said is made. However, a link to the site would be nice.
--------------------EDIT FOR PINCHY--------------------------
How do you plan to tone down the reapers, Pinchy? Only thing I can think for is to give them less mana for spells. Maybe only able to use the spells 2x instead of 3, but then reapers would become a lot less fun. I think Reapers are fine as they are, even if they are cheap.
--------------------EDIT FOR ZOP------------------------------
I admit the game is not balanced and jetting is hard, but not only jetters use flares. And anyways, not many good players use that many homers on a jetter. They're either dead before that or they are such a god jetter that it's hard to get a good lock on. The only thing needed for jetters is increased jetpack fuel with the jetpack item. If you increased the amount of flares, shielders would have an even greater advantage over jetters who use homers+proxie combos. Increasing the jet fuel would give an imporvement to ONLY the jetters. Also I add another request, I think it'll also help the imbalance:
Shorter nitro recharge time for jetters.
Last edited by [TO]Semore on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

The game is not balanced. For evidence show me a single jetpack user who is able to effectively fight off a good shielder. Enhancing the jetpack upgrade and supplying additional flares would help to give jetters a fighting chance against shielders.
Pinchy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Pinchy »

[TO]Semore wrote:the game is balanced as it is.
The hell it is! Tone down the reapers!
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Many of the things we want or feel that we need in this game might be to much work to succeed. So either we keep those stuff in mind and do those changes we can or buy the freakin' code...
SPrinkZ
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SPrinkZ »

Asses. This is how the game should work.

2 meccs to 1 reaper
5 meccs to 1 kabuto

And to even out jetpackers and shielders... Hmm, there really is no way, unless you increased the jetpackers speed somehow, but that would make shielders more deadly, how about the advanced jetpack increases the speed you fly, if this is able to be put in that is.

Then it will give them an advantage, and three nitros, IF possible.

That will give them massive manuverability, and a longer jetpack supply, that's all they really need to even it out, and jetpacking would be even more fun.
OrangejuICE
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by OrangejuICE »

How about a some graphic improvements? I think good programers like you could manage that ;) maybe other old players would come back then 2...well I doubt it tho...and how about maps with 3 or 4 mecc teams and bases....not like this update where the other 2 meccteams couldnt enter shops....and a team-balancing system just like SprinkZ said....but u should be able to turn it off so shielders could still do 1 vs 2 or 1 vs 4 ot w/e :D
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Wouldnt be bad if you could make maps like MvRvRvK...
MvMvRvR... etc
would be nice maps ;)
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Graphical updates really aren't needed and would do little more than lower people's framerates. They'd be more work than its worth.