Giants Version 1.5?

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

[PM]Olden McGroin
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by [PM]Olden McGroin »

So far there are a few things I find interesting (which == more or my time spent on it).

First, trying to intergrate what Null Pointer has done into the current code base.
All this should be very easy to implement if you have access to the source code.
Null, do you mean to do it from scratch or to do it using what you currently have?

The second is the trainer breaker.

True client/server is out of the question we decided it was too much to do when we were doing the 1.4 patch and that was with 2 employees working on it. Give me a couple years, and you'll get that patch... I thought about encrypting the key data, but how does that help? It has to be decompressed before changing and and that's when the trainer would get me. Plus it sounds like they just noop out the entire function so that seems no good. I could definately fix the text hacks, but it doesn't really hurt the game so my time is probably better spent elsewhere. Some of you guys know more about this kind of thing than I do. I'll see if I can IM you so we can discuss this. It's an interesting topic to me which is a motivator to do something...

Third, banning/limiting player joining. I'm not in the business of restricting anybody. We talked about this back in the day and decided it was a bad idea. I will not write code that snags peoples IP's for banning. That's just got trouble written all over it. Ping banning is a consideration, but seems like a bad idea to me as well.

Finally, other lobbies. Currently Giants talke to GSA through their proprietary API. It wouldn't be too difficult to hook some other lobby service up. I just need to be pointed at the desired one (contact info would be good because I'll need their API).
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

oki Tam
lol I believed PMS had some server sitting around doing that...
Infinity7
Staff
Staff

Post by Infinity7 »

Welcome back Nullpointer. Let me know what else needs to be done and if I can help. Post in the private map pack section of this forum.

Infinity7
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

There's a private map section??? :shock:
Pinchy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Pinchy »

Its their own cool club/V.I.P. section.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

I'm a moderator, I'm cool! I should have access. lol
Pinchy
Yan the Pimp

Post by Pinchy »

Your not part of the cool club tho.
UnknownGuru
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by UnknownGuru »

I've been harping about this for God knows how long. We the Giants Community have basically had a miracle bestowed upon us by Olden taking his time out to help us and Null coming back to give us information and hopefully have a bit of time in his busy schedule to lend a hand to Olden and Infinity plus whoever else has the abilities to help in ways of the 1.5 patch.

POINT IS, trainers being made sucked, but it didnt hurt the game until it was passed around. Some of us knew from jump who passed it out and did nothing. We knew when Sprinkz passed them out and basically did nothing. Now idiots like Cenk pass them out to anyone who asks or comments on it and what do we do? Warn him again? Why doesnt the community exile him as best we can? Why not stand up as a whole(if possible) and police this game ourselves? We point fingers and flame the fu** out of each other for much less than this! Why not put this apparent hatred we have for each other away and unite so that Giants will be enjoyable once again?! Because from the way Olden was talking in his last post here, it may be harder than first anticipated to nullify the trainer(s).

I dunno, this has always been the problem with this community. No sence of unity. And look where it has gotten us. Let's help each other to reach this goal in doing our best to rid this game of the trainers and the idiots who use/issue them or we might aswell tell Olden, Null and Infinity to put their time into something else.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

You have a good point Guru, but we're simply requesting an anti-trainer in the patch if it's possible. Actions are already taken towards cheaters, and very seldom are they ever seen, and if they ever are, we at GWD warn eachother of these cheaters, then the cheats are either kicked from the games they join, or blacklisted and banned, so an anti-trainer attachment to the patch isn't needed, but it would be an even greater step to stopping the blatant cheating permenantly.
Last edited by GibLit on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
eXistenZ
Yan the Pimp

Post by eXistenZ »

yeah nice to see u back null :D
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

[PM]Olden McGroin wrote:...I thought about encrypting the key data, but how does that help? It has to be decompressed before changing and and that's when the trainer would get me. Plus it sounds like they just noop out the entire function so that seems no good.
The data shouldn't be decrypted at the moment the game is either paused or in the background. Plus, the memory containing the decrypted value will be relocated all the time, so memory searchers will be of no use. For making a trainer the first thing to be done is find the address in memory, then set a write breakpoint, and after that nop out the code (or do whatever else with it), so if we use encryption, there will be no nopping at all

I was also thinking, a wrapper executable around the giants executable could be made, that does the job of GMM, plus some of the other functions that are not implementable in the giants executable itself. This, however, would not be very neat, and would decrease performance
Last edited by SSJBardock on Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eXistenZ
Yan the Pimp

Post by eXistenZ »

yeah dock that might work
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

holy crap im witnessing some important stuff here :D all important giants players are coming back and working on this patch :P *slams crappy computer* WORK DAMMIT :roll:
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Yeah Steelix, stuff is happening and I understand sh**! :D :D :D
Loop_Goose
Yan the Pimp

Post by Loop_Goose »

wb Null ;)

Glad to see the elephants didn't quite get u.