Giants Version 1.5?

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

[PM]Olden McGroin
Kabuto's Playtoy

Giants Version 1.5?

Post by [PM]Olden McGroin »

I'm feeling semi-motivated to fix some minor problems with Giants v1.4 I make no promisses, but if I do make these fixes, there's a chance it would require a version change to version 1.5. The significance of this is that version 1.4 users would not be able to play games with version 1.5 users. Would the community support this by upgrading to version 1.5?
Infinity7
Staff
Staff

Post by Infinity7 »

Yes they would support it. Nullpointer had in mind a modified exe file. Currently the community is minimal in size due to a few who exploit bugs. Nullpointer had planned to call it an unofficial 1.5 patch.

Infinity7
Tam
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Tam »

All the community would support this patch. The major problem is the cheat : a few ruined this game with trainers. If there is a way to add an anti cheat or to prevent the trainers to work...

Anyway, you have all the time to release the patch, we are waiting this patch since 3 years, so 1 month or even 6 months more over is nothing.

This is the best news for the Giants community since a long time ago, thank you Olden.

I am trying with Infinity to contact Nullpointer right now.
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

I don't think there would be much of a problem involving people not patching, and I'm more than certain that there are plenty of people around who would inform those who do not regularly check this site of the update.
Mutilator
Yan the Pimp

Post by Mutilator »

Maybe we couls get GameSpy to advertise it, and put it on their homapage. Maybe if a subscriber asked them they'd consider it. Also, I think RichardMH is going for a job as a helper on GameSpy, so we may have a little more influence.

I think GameSpy would be the best place the target the community.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

People upgrade to 1.4, so there would be no problem upgrading to 1.5. Also, there's that other patch with multi-kab that people use, but not often.
This, I agree, is the best in a long time. If you could do something about that 1.5 McGroin, we would all be eternally in your debt. Giants is such a buggy game and only a few of the bugs gone would be great.
Mutilator
Yan the Pimp

Post by Mutilator »

I agree with Semore, though I've not actually spotted that many bugs, and the ones I have have been quite useful, and don't really affect the game much anyway.

If you can make any progress getting the source code it would be great. It would be cool to make a big expansion pack for Giants with loads of extra singleplayer missions, and multiplayer maps. It could also have extra skins and stuff in it too.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Well it's more voluntary then a job...
Wait untill you really need to use the Help card :wink:

Olden perhaps you can answer this:
The source code, what is it? A 4 digit code? Two dvds with codes?

And yes Zophy I sound like a broken record :P
BUT I WANT IT!

I love creating and having no restrains would be best...

You should have in mind while doing the patch you need to think about some stuff that seem to enoy not only me but others but also making it easier to use stuff.

GMM, I think should be somehow inside the game (no hard feelings BadBrain) but people would play the custom made maps more often. For example there could be a map made in the bin folder either next to Override or inside it... "Modpacks". Like GMM has now. And by doing that the map will show in the menu just as easy like V.Small does...

EDIT

If and when the new patch comes out you have to change the text, (Client version 1.400), to something more usefull...
"Your version is "bla" but there is a new patch out version "1.5" you can get it at www.giantswd.com..." Because you never know if you experience lag or if the host doesnt have the same version as you...
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

but...one....problem... who can actually DO something with the code? Rich? that mcgroin? infinity? don't get me wrong, i have no doubt one of those 3 can :P
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

Useful bugs that need to be kept are rocket jumps and grenade jumps aka the weapons not causing any damage when team damage is off. This bug is used throughout the community as an advantageous part of the game. Don't take this one out, please! Just wanna make sure. :wink:
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Well.... Keep in mind that if Olden does work on the stuff himself, he'll be doing it purely out of the goodness of his heart, and has zero obligation to do so. That being said, I'd be content with the most minute of bug fixes :D
Tam
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Tam »

STEELIX wrote:but...one....problem... who can actually DO something with the code? Rich? that mcgroin? infinity? don't get me wrong, i have no doubt one of those 3 can :P
Olden was "the main multiplayer programmer for Giants" (Infinity7). So of course he is able to do something with the code... He was PMS programmer, got it ? :wink:
[PM]Olden McGroin
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by [PM]Olden McGroin »

I have no idea what this "source code" you're refering to is. Nor do I want to know. However, I seem to be capable of creating new .exe files that seem to run a game that looks remarkably similar to Giants. I don't know how long this black magic will last, but for now it seems to be working. I even seem to have a new cheat that always any player to change any other players name. How odd indeed...

On a serious note, if somebody can point me to what these trainers do, maybe I can do something to break them. The game is 4 years old, you think the creator of them will bother to get them working again?

Also, just to be clear. If we ended up with a version 1.5, any server running that version would only be playable by clients with the same version. No big deal if everybody upgrades, but if only a handfull do, you'll end up dividing an already small community. I'll keep any changes I can on the server side which means only server needs to upgrade for the change to take affect.
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

Trainers are programs used to cheat in games. Giants trainers have been made by some players in the game, but some of those players handed these trainers out to the wrong hands. This happens only once in a blue moon, but cheaters will waltz into servers with invulnerability and unlimited ammo and think they own the place now that they are more superb than everyone else. Of course, they are easily caught, and are blacklisted, but we still need a way to prevent trainers from taking effect with the 1.5 patch if possible. This will ensure the prevention of cheaters in the future.
Tam
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Tam »

We need to know what its possible to add in the patch 1.5. It will be probably the last patch of the Giants story so we have to try to fix the bugs, to improve the net code (why does Giants lags ?) and to add usefull functions.

I know that all won't be possible but the perfect patch should add :

- Richard 's idea : It should be great if we could add the GMM into the Game, and not in the "C:\Program Files\Giants Mod Manager\Modpacks" folder.
In RTCW Enemy Territory for exemple, customs maps are downloaded without any tools...

- We need to add ASE (The All Seeing Eyes) in the Giants net code, because for the moment only GSA is able to find all the games : In ASE we have to add the servers in the list.
More than 3500 ASE users have Giants installed but they are not able to find any Giants server ! (well they can find mine because I add it in ASE) ; we need to fix that and lots players will play Giants online, for sure.

- A ban Function for the servers : We can kick but not ban (we have to use a firewall or tools for this) and this sucks :(

- A ping filter : We all know that if a player lags in Giants, all the others players will lag too. So if we could have a ping filter for the servers (more than 250 ms = not allowed to join the server for exemple, or more than 300 ms = kicked by the server)
A few players try to join the servers with 2000 ms...

- Any anti cheat : well something to change in the code to break all the trainers and to prevent the creation of futurs trainers.

- If we can't add the GMM into the game : Add a mappack into Giants 1.5 with the best and fixed GMM maps.

Well is someone ready to change his name to Alexander the Great ? We have time to make this patch, fortunately.