let's finish this slackers

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

Malix
Sappho's Henchman

let's finish this slackers

Post by Malix »

do work and finish it v1.5
Threnke
Yan the Pimp

Post by Threnke »

be patient, Tasiin seems to be very busy, dont press him or ask for etas
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Out of his control at the moment, so there are no ETAs.
dannyscorps
Kabuto's Playtoy

About 1.497 patch

Post by dannyscorps »

I am really wondering about some things present in the 1.497 patch. The blood is RED instead of GREEN (why?), the game tells you at the beginning of any mission exactly how to activate certain things and there are also some graphical glitches here and there. Nothing major but still, the original game didn't have them. Could it be the fact that my graphics card is too new for the game or..what? Anyway, I find the single player experience greatly changed since I applied this patch. What gives? What patch exactly changed the single player experience so much? Again, I am strictly talking about SP, I don't play this game on MP..although I would :D:D
Threnke
Yan the Pimp

Re: About 1.497 patch

Post by Threnke »

dannyscorps wrote:The blood is RED instead of GREEN (why?)
blood is red by default, green blood is a mod, u can download it on patchs section
dannyscorps wrote:the game tells you at the beginning of any mission exactly how to activate certain things...
what's wrong? i dont get it
dannyscorps wrote:and there are also some graphical glitches here and there. Nothing major but still, the original game didn't have them.
this will all be fixed
dannyscorps wrote:Could it be the fact that my graphics card is too new for the game or..what?
nah
dannyscorps wrote:Anyway, I find the single player experience greatly changed since I applied this patch. What gives? What patch exactly changed the single player experience so much?
try grm with giants hook, But IT'S NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PATCH 1.497 u need To do a clean installation with patch 1.4 installed, links: http://www.giantswd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2126
dannyscorps wrote:Again, I am strictly talking about SP, I don't play this game on MP..although I would :D:D
ARE U INSANE, PLAY IT ON MULTIPLAYER MAN!!!!
dannyscorps
Kabuto's Playtoy

hmm...

Post by dannyscorps »

1 - Oups, my bad, I only knew about the green blood, I just found out that there are two versions of the game..it still seems more logic to me for the creatures in Giants to have green blood, because..let's face it..all characters are aliens, but if the developers intended the red blood and not the green one, then I'll go with red, even though I spent years playing this as a kid and I never saw any red blood.

2 - When I was little, I spent no time reading the missions hints and tips, I thought the game doesn't tell you that many information about stuff (personally, that's why I died SEVERAL times before I started realising what the flares do :)) )

3 - the texture flickering problem will be solved? when? with what? you mean, the future patch 1.5? you think it will be released one day? :O

4 - Ok, great then :D

5 - I knew about this incompatibility, don't worry, I spent the last day thoroughly looking on this site. I guess I'll try grm with giants hook, IF I manage to find those files (I'll check out your link, thanks!)

6 - My favorite multiplayer game is (I think, by far) Unreal Tournament..that was the ONLY game I enjoyed playing it ONLINE..I mean..actually online..with strangers..and that got me hooked for like..3-4 days? :|..and that's it..I really don't like playing with strangers, that's all..and it's funny, 'cause that's the only problem (strangers). I play multiplayer actually, in fact I love it, but I only play LAN on Skype with friends, and we call each other etc. I think that brings a much more structured (a must), friendly and fun experience. I played Giants on multiplayer with 1.497 ONCE, it was cute, the experience was ok..but again..strangers..meh..I like lan with microphone on skype :D If you ever wanna play something that way, I can give you my skype ID.

Thank you so very much for responding to my post! :)

EDIT: I don't have an ATI video card..I am talking about Nvidia GeForce GTX 560/660 :)

EDIT 2: Ok..this is interesting. I applied the "different-but-identical-in-size :))" dx8 file and..most of the flickering is gone, or at least that's what I noticed. There are still FEW spots here and there but overall, yeah, it's an improvement. Thank you!
Threnke
Yan the Pimp

Re: hmm...

Post by Threnke »

dannyscorps wrote:1 - Oups, my bad, I only knew about the green blood, I just found out that there are two versions of the game..it still seems more logic to me for the creatures in Giants to have green blood, because..let's face it..all characters are aliens, but if the developers intended the red blood and not the green one, then I'll go with red, even though I spent years playing this as a kid and I never saw any red blood.
It's possible to make separate blood textures for different creatures in a new patch, but i'm not sure if tasiin will accept new suggestions. Anyway what creatures should have green blood?
dannyscorps wrote:2 - When I was little, I spent no time reading the missions hints and tips, I thought the game doesn't tell you that many information about stuff (personally, that's why I died SEVERAL times before I started realising what the flares do :)) )
lol me too
dannyscorps wrote:3 - the texture flickering problem will be solved? when? with what? you mean, the future patch 1.5? you think it will be released one day? :O
I don't have this problem, maybe it's some option enabled in your graphics card driver that is not compatible with giants, can u share a screenshot or video?
ya, someday.. it depends of tasiin, he's the developer
dannyscorps wrote:4 - Ok, great then :D
dannyscorps wrote:5 - I knew about this incompatibility, don't worry, I spent the last day thoroughly looking on this site. I guess I'll try grm with giants hook, IF I manage to find those files (I'll check out your link, thanks!)
dannyscorps wrote:6 - My favorite multiplayer game is (I think, by far) Unreal Tournament..that was the ONLY game I enjoyed playing it ONLINE..I mean..actually online..with strangers..and that got me hooked for like..3-4 days? :|..and that's it..I really don't like playing with strangers, that's all..and it's funny, 'cause that's the only problem (strangers). I play multiplayer actually, in fact I love it, but I only play LAN on Skype with friends, and we call each other etc. I think that brings a much more structured (a must), friendly and fun experience. I played Giants on multiplayer with 1.497 ONCE, it was cute, the experience was ok..but again..strangers..meh..I like lan with microphone on skype :D If you ever wanna play something that way, I can give you my skype ID.
Unreal Tournament is awesome but I prefer Giants \ '-' /
U just need a time to make some new strangers friends 8)
dannyscorps
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by dannyscorps »

1 - I'm just saying' that the green blood suits the game perfectly 'cause there are no actual humans in the game (pretty f'ing original, if you ask me). At least the Sea Reapermen should have green blood, I don't know :)

3 - It's cool, everything is stable, thanks to that dx8 thingie. Thanks again.

6 - It's hard to compare games.

Objectively speaking, Unreal Tournament is better made, thanks to the relatively simple but MORE THAN EFFECTIVE formula. It doesn't have bugs and it always works flawlessly. As a multiplayer game, Giants doesn't stand a chance, it may be fun, but it just seems kinda pointless, the strategies you can apply are chaotic, and that's because the game is very, if not too complex for multiplayer, whereas in Unreal Tournament everyone is equal, you have the guns, you have to master your aim perfectly and that's it. It can't get more fun than that. It also requires higher skill to perfect it, to be able to predict players/bots movement and to actually..be one with the gun :))

But then again Giants is the more..UNIQUE game, it has an awesome and tactical single player experience, colourful and also..unique :P visuals, it has humor, it has 3 totally different type of characters you can play. So Giants TOTALLY takes the cake when speaking of single player. Actually, Unreal Tournament is not at all worth it if you're gonna play it single player, it's just a pointless campaign with a pointless story where you just fight pointless bots. It makes sense only to practice with bots and play with friends. Only multiplayer.

So, the thing is, even though Unreal Tournament is better for multiplayer, that doesn't mean that Giants is not a very good game,
(I'm actually more fond, like..I feel more emotions when I think of Giants than when I think of Unreal Tournament. I'm a fan of Giants since 2001, a fan of Unreal 1 + Return to Na Pali since 2002 (clearly my favorite single player FPS ever) and a fan of Unreal Tournament since 2006)
I just strongly believe that the game is not THAT well built for multiplayer. It's CERTAINLY a totally wtf and unique multiplayer experience, but also partially flawed. Giants' STRONG point is the single player, and I really think that SP is so underrated these days, it's great when a game can deliver a strong and emotional single player experience, it can be just that, it doesn't need to be perfect for multiplayer, I personally love many single player games. I really recommend Giants Citizen Kabuto, Unreal Gold, Silent Hill 1, Diablo 1 and Dark Souls. These games have a breathtaking single player experience..and that MATTERS :D

When it comes to the music though, let's say that UT and Giants get an equal score from me. Best music ever made in any game, though, is the soundtrack for Unreal Gold (1+exp). If you don't believe me, check out the full 3 and a half hours of soundtrack on youtube, or better what, play the game :)

It's impossible for me to get addicted of playing with strangers, it's a very cold and stale experience for me, I play games usually for a very.."high art" experience. (and Giants, for example is HIGH art for me, so, IN A WAY, multiplayer kinda ruins the feeling for me, it's just..chaotic fun..and..that's it). But I DO like to play some games on LAN with tunngle and skype. It's great to be able to SPEAK, not to write. You can get much more organized when playing with friends like this :)

CHEERS, MATE! :D
Threnke
Yan the Pimp

Post by Threnke »

1 - hmm.. I think it will looks odd with some characters or creatures like Delphi, evil reapers, vimps, smarties, sonaks, charger, Kabuto and offsprings etc :roll:

3 - Thank Tasiin 8)

6 - I'm not saying giants is better, I said I'll stick with giants cuz I love it xD
I've played UT some years ago and I feel like playing again
dannyscorps wrote:It's impossible for me to get addicted of playing with strangers, it's a very cold and stale experience for me, I play games usually for a very.."high art" experience. (and Giants, for example is HIGH art for me, so, IN A WAY, multiplayer kinda ruins the feeling for me, it's just..chaotic fun..and..that's it). But I DO like to play some games on LAN with tunngle and skype. It's great to be able to SPEAK, not to write. You can get much more organized when playing with friends like this :)

That's what I feel when I play with a guy called fredo :P
dannyscorps
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by dannyscorps »

What you said at 1 doesn't make sense..maybe you should edit your post or something :D just sayin'..also..who the f is Frodo? I mean, Fredo :))

By the way, if you'd like, my Skype ID is identical to my ID here :)
buster
Yan the Pimp

Post by buster »

dannyscorps wrote:also..who the f is Frodo? I mean, Fredo :))
u dont need to know who is him , he will appear even in your soup ,just go to mp xd
Reventon134
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Reventon134 »

FREDO CAMPER KING, MUCH RESPECT
dannyscorps
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by dannyscorps »

I...hate...camping...
Threnke
Yan the Pimp

Post by Threnke »

dannyscorps wrote:What you said at 1 doesn't make sense..maybe you should edit your post or something :D just sayin'..also..who the f is Frodo? I mean, Fredo :))

By the way, if you'd like, my Skype ID is identical to my ID here :)
Why not, I mean Delphi and evil reaper and also smarties looks like humans or part human, and these creatures resemble animals, then red blood is better in my opnion.

yea, fredo and his partner NICO "woahahahahaha"

thx bro but I don't use skype or sh*t xD
Malix
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Malix »

Fredo makes me LMAO! He raids and builds in your base, and I don't think he knows how to chat. LOL