Just been trying out the 1.5 patch

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

macgiants1
Kabuto's Playtoy

Just been trying out the 1.5 patch

Post by macgiants1 »

Cool stuff, and thank you for working on this. It's great to see the Giants community going after nearly 10 years. Great to also see people still playing and working on the game!

I, myself, came from the Mac side of the game - if you didn't figure that out already - but thankfully since Macs can run Windows now, well it's good to play on the PC side as well :)

Anyway, if I could make a suggestion, I would recommend an "auto detente" feature, that is when a team's base is destroyed (or nearly destroyed) that detente would kick in automatically so the team with the destroyed base could be given some time to rebuild.

I've only played a few games recently, but it seems that attacking the base is "off limits" when I've been playing, perhaps for good reason because no one really wants to play when the other team is effectively base raping. Don't know if this is something that has just evolved out of courtesy within the community of better players here, or if it's just something I've interpreted.

However, attacking/destroying the base is fun, to a point. It becomes kinda lame when the other team can't defend anymore, and they're just proxy fodder. So perhaps something like an auto detente feature might work?
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Anyone who isn't new prefers to simply fight on the field in MvM games. It's the mode in which skill matters the most in fights against other players, so that's typically what people like to do. Returning to your base or respawning after a fight to find your shop has been destroyed by some random newbie usually results in a vote for detente right then and there.

Almost always the only people raiding the enemy base are a few random new players, which never really do much on their own, and usually never stick around long enough to become skilled enough to enjoy fighting on the field.

Occasionally real defend the base games will break out, which are a lot of fun - along with base build... but if the teams are even it turns into a near endless stalemate, and if they're not, one side just gets camped. Usually at that point the attacking team will back off on their own out of courtesy.

For the most part, raiding is mostly reserved for the other game modes and I honestly don't see a point in adding such a feature, it'd likely only kick in if the entire base is destroyed, and usually just having a shop go down is enough to get everyone to call a vote for detente.
macgiants1
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by macgiants1 »

Ok, thanks for the info. Good points all around. The one thing I have to say is having "defend the base" type games changes the gameplay significantly and makes it a little less repetitive - i.e. it's not just about jumping into the field and firing good proxy shots at the other team. That's one of the thing I really love about GCK - the ability to, for example, place turrets anywhere in the field, the gyrocopter, bombing missions, the fact that you can shoot the millenium gun really far, etc. For me it makes the gameplay more diverse. Anyway, that's just my opinion and of course part of that stems from me being a terrible shot!

That being said, maybe instead of auto detente (for the reasons that you mentionedabove) there should be a "last loadout" option? I.e. when you die, you're brought back to life with a full loadout of all of the weapons that you died with. That would mitigate the destroyed shop problem, and in other situations, it would save people a trip to the shop so they would have more time to play.