Server browser

Posts relating to the currently in development and sure to be released 1.5 patch.

Moderator: Staff

WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

Server browser

Post by WattoDaToydarian »

I read that the new patch added an Internet server browser so I installed patch 1496 to try it out and all I ever see is searching for games and nothin ever shows...
Am I suppose to wait like 10-20min? or does that just mean that there are no games?

Thanks a ton in advance!
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Re: Server browser

Post by HellSnake »

WattoDaToydarian wrote:I read that the new patch added an Internet server browser so I installed patch 1496 to try it out and all I ever see is searching for games and nothin ever shows...
Am I suppose to wait like 10-20min? or does that just mean that there are no games?

Thanks a ton in advance!
hmm thats odd?

but lately there are no servers online(i think tass in busy)
u just need to be there in correct time, but try chatex if he shows maps, then there's prob a port problem
if not, then urr just out of luck

maybe we can play 2morrow arround time, do u live in europe(time diffrence) cuz i do
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

The GWD dedicated server is online 24/7 and has not been down since the release of the patch. You should always see at least that server in the list -- if you don't, something is wrong.

When you go to join multiplayer game, does it say it's connected to or disconnected from the global server at the top of the screen?
WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

At the top of the screen it says "connected to global server. Searching for Internet games..." and just below that it says "Searching for Sessions..."

I have let it run for ~5min and nothing shows up...

I am behind a router with a web filter but all outgoing ports are open.
Does it try to access an HTTP server?
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

You don't need to run it for that long -- if anything's going to show up, it should take less than a second.

I suspect that your router or firewall might be interfering with the connection somehow. When the game connects to the master server it tries to establish a TCP connection on port 27900, so you'll need to allow that for it to work. I'll look into this, but without having your specific configuration to test with myself this may be difficult to troubleshoot.

There's always GameSpy Arcade if you can't get the in-game browser to work. You can also use Chatex to find 1.5 servers, but since that contacts the same master server that the in-game browser does you might very well have the same problem with that.
WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

I got your chatex and the list of servers shows up instantly.
When I try to join one the program just minimizes and the game doesn't launch. (Might be do to the fact that I have reinstalled windoze a ton since my original giants install).

When I host in the game my server doesn't show up in the chatex list...

Also I played with a friend on my LAN last night and when he typed my ip and pressed enter it took ~10sec for my game to show up...

Edit: k I had backed up my giants registry before and I restored it just now and chatex lets me join games but my hosted ones still don't show up...
WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

Well with some help I am now able to host and join games using chatex.
I am still not however able to search for internet games using the in game browser.
I have tried it on two windows 7 PCs and when I try to exit the in game browser it stops responding.

Thanks for the help guys!
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by HellSnake »

WattoDaToydarian wrote:Well with some help I am now able to host and join games using chatex.
I am still not however able to search for internet games using the in game browser.
I have tried it on two windows 7 PCs and when I try to exit the in game browser it stops responding.

Thanks for the help guys!
windows 7??, maybe 1.5 isn't compatible, have u tried running giants.exe in compatability* mode?(windows xp sp2 or lower)
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

HellSnake(NL) wrote:windows 7??, maybe 1.5 isn't compatible, have u tried running giants.exe in compatability* mode?(windows xp sp2 or lower)
We have working confirmation that the 1.5 beta - server browser included - functions on Windows 7.
WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

Well I have now upgraded my 7 to build 7201 and the in game server browser is now working. It still takes ~10sec but it's acceptable :wink:
WattoDaToydarian
Kabuto's Playtoy

I just dug into it some more and it now seems more like ~20sec before the servers show up in the browser and if I press escape before the servers show up then the game stops responding.