Resurrecting my old "Hollywood Hills" map

Ask questions related to the tools or files used to create modifications for Giants. Examples include map making, gmm, and installing skins.

Moderator: Staff

macgiants1
Kabuto's Playtoy

Resurrecting my old "Hollywood Hills" map

Post by macgiants1 »

Hi all,

I'm resurrecting my old Hollywood Hills map from several years ago. This map was based on real terrain (from USGS data) and it's quite big. Now that my computer is much faster than the one I had in 2003, GiantsEdit is much easier to use :) I have a question, though, and that is what is the maximum object limit? (with the 1.5 patch). It's a huge map, and I'd like to decorate it as best I can, but given how big it is I don't want to create any issues with too many objects.

Here are some old screenshots from it:

Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

I think that at least you can have aprox. 50 objects ingame (i know it because the map i'm making of NYC has lot's of objects but reached the limit so cannot add more. See the screenshots in my post if you want to get an idea of how many objects you can put :wink: ). Having more Giants wouldn't show them. Cannot the the screenshots :( .
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Giants_Gamer32 wrote:I think that at least you can have aprox. 50 objects ingame...
No. Maps can have up to 1024 objects.
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Tasiin wrote:
Giants_Gamer32 wrote:I think that at least you can have aprox. 50 objects ingame...
In my map there's less that half of this number of objects and if i add more there won't be displayed ingame.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

You're either doing something wrong then or there's something wrong with your map.
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Tasiin wrote:You're either doing something wrong then or there's something wrong with your map.
Tell me what.
macgiants1
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by macgiants1 »

Tasiin wrote:
Thanks, good to know. I might have to make the map a little smaller so I can add enough objects in to make it look nicer.

Here are the screenshots I tried to post earlier, hope they work this time:

Lucky
Kabuto's Playtoy

Compliments to the chef.

Post by Lucky »

Wow, good screens. I like the colours, especially in the first shot, and the geometry is impressive; all very nice indeed. Got a LAN coming up, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is in the very late stages of development.
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

Good map. I like the first screenshots where it shows a very good maded mountains. It wouldn't be better if you change a bit the colour of the terrain ? like mountains being more brownish and greenish :wink: .
Also i'm capable of adding the "HOLLYWOOD" letters if you want.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

You know a map is a bit big when kabuto looks smaller than a vimp at full size. The coloring seems ok, but you gotta remove some of that red/purple areas in the mountains.

The dynamic lighting needs to be toned down as well. One more thing: so far only Barney the dinosaur can pull off purple, green, and yellow.
Lucky
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Lucky »

Well, I thought it was cool :lol:. I like bright colours, as long as they're not monotone, and I thought this had good variation and atmosphere, even if the colour combination's a bit out there. Hard to say with just screens, though, how it's really going to look. Also, it's possible that Kabuto isn't full size in that screen, but maybe he is. Good point about the map sizing anyway. As long as it plays well.
(Edit: just figured that he wouldn't have bothered starting with a base build just to get that gear and take the shots, so scratch that comment about Kabuto)