New Downloads Section - Input requested

Ask questions that relate to GiantsWD.

Moderator: Staff

Zopharks
Administrator

New Downloads Section - Input requested

Post by Zopharks »

As most of you have probably noticed, there are a lot of files hosted on GiantsWD. Some are awesome, but a lot of them aren't all that great. I've spoken with King, and we've agreed that it'd probably be a good idea to create a new downloads section for content of an extremely high quality.
This does raise a question however: "Who determines what is and isn't high quality?" Rather than pick and choose everything ourselves, we believe it'd be a good idea to let random folk like yourselves nominate files for ZOMG AWESOME status. To get an idea of the sort of files we're looking for, take a look at some of my choices below.

Maps:

City 17 (Pinchy): Best city map available, hands down. Includes a fully accessible sewer system beneath the city.

Locks (Sprinkz): The ultimate CTF map. Features interior bases with large gates that can be manually locked and unlocked to keep intruders out.

EMB (SoulBlighter): An older map, but one that is extremely playable and has very nice terrain.

Deliverance (Nullpointer): CTF with a slight twist - Rather than stealing the enemy flag, the objective is to deliver your flag to the enemy control center.

Patches:

GRM (Tasiin, Vortex): Makes Giants purdy.

GF3Converter (Bardock): Enables the various enhancements that were previously only available in the GF3 version of Giants.

Dutch Translation (Bardock): Good and fancy, deserves recognition.

Utilities:

GMM (Badbrain) - Duh?

GiantsEdit (Nullpointer) - Again, I don't think this needs introduction.

At any rate, for any file you feel deserves special recognition, please write a short sentence or two describing what it is that makes the file awesome.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Patches:

1.4 patch (Planet Moon) - for being the most useful and most downloaded file on gwd by far.
Trust Kill
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Trust Kill »

Tools:
Giants Edit 5.4 - for enabling players to create theyr own maps.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Z0PharX wrote:GiantsEdit (Nullpointer) - Again, I don't think this needs introduction.
Alex wrote:Tools:
Giants Edit 5.4 - for enabling players to create theyr own maps.
Duh...
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

Before people start voting for their own material, I'd like to take the time to say this. Don't.
If your map pack, or whatnot, is deserving, other people will mention it.
Trust Kill
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Trust Kill »

oooopss didnt notice Giants edit :P
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Don't offer too many suggestions all at once. Its not like we're trying to make the site more user-friendly or anything.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Patches:

Lost world map patch (Planetmoon) - although I can not even find it on this website (very weird), it should be useful when trying to join a multiplayer game which hosts one of the maps
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

I'd forgotten all about that, to be honest. I'll have to give King a heads up about it.

At any rate, you only need it to host games using the Lost Worlds maps.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Patching Giants to 1.4 automatically enables the lost worlds for me, I'm not sure that's necessary anymore.
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

I like the idea. I must admit, seeing 100s of maps and not having too much description on each isn't very inviting. No offence to anyone, but some maps ARE betetr than others.
I don't have any suggestions, I woulda suggested Locks by SprinkZ but you already hit that up.
So umm... yeah, look forward to playing some of the quality stuff.

--EDIT--
Maybe some skins? I don't remember the good ones, but I do remember one that was quite popular before I left. I think a skin or two should go in there.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

Sysplague's skins are pretty popular. Can't say I like them personally, but that's not to say they're bad or anything. As for everything else... nothing really gives the impression of 'quality', to be honest.
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

The following map:
Name: 2004
Author: Infinity7

Altough its a bit large one, its undergrounds tunnels make it really fun.
Droid2K4
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Droid2K4 »

uhm u said underground tunnels in a MAP! how?
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

Creative design and object use.