The game crash when I open the map

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

le_chiffre
Kabuto's Playtoy

The game crash when I open the map

Post by le_chiffre »

In any level where I attemp to open the map, the game freeze and my computer crash.... i have a Viper II (I think the chip is savage 2000), and i have installed direct x 9.0c . Anyone know this bug and the solution? thank you very much
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

all i know is that my giants freezes sometimes as well and crashes making me reboot my comp.. But I think its my crappy built in SiS vid card that came with my new comp.. But try running Giants in safemode, and see if itll work then, if it does work then its probably the video card.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

Darkruler-dragon wrote:But try running Giants in safemode, and see if itll work then, if it does work then its probably the video card.
Not exactly...
As the giants readme states, Savage 2000 powered videocards should work fine, except for some glitches concerning the sun flare.
So let's start with some basic questions:
-Did you install the 1.4 patch
-Did you install the newest video card drivers
You might wanna consider getting a new vid card, as the one you're using seems kinda old. (It doesn't have to be really expensive though)
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

I always have sun thingy turned off.. find it annoying. Anyways it doesnt crash in safemode with me.. but it could also be the soundcard since i've read somewhere that Giants will crash if you dont have a sound card installed. (some game review)
le_chiffre
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by le_chiffre »

- Yes, I installed the 1.4 patch
- I think I have the lastest drives for de Viper II, but I'm really not sure. It's an oldie video card, and hasn't been updated in a long time
- It crash also in Safe Mode :?
- It crash with sun on and off

Another unrelated problem: I have a Genius Net Mouse Pro wich work perfeclty in every application, but in this game, the mousewheel backward seems to be locked, so any attemp to modify the keys, switch them to "mousewheel backward"

Thank you very match
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

got a program running for it in the taskbar? I have an Logitec wireless optical plus thingy.. but without a system tray program running, a few keys stop working.

As for your Giants, I think you just need a new video card..
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Is this for any map or a particular map?
Mutilator
Yan the Pimp

Post by Mutilator »

SSJBardock wrote: You might wanna consider getting a new vid card, as the one you're using seems kinda old. (It doesn't have to be really expensive though)
A 64 mb card will do you fine. They aren't too expensive. I wouldn't go for anything below that. My old 32mb TNT2 produced horrible graphics and the FPS was crap.

Try and see if you can get hold of a GeForce 4 if you want something decent and cheap. it;s quite an old card so someone you know might have one lying around that you can have. Thats how I got mine :P.

If not, then i agree with everyone else, make sure you download the latest drivers, check the website regularly for updates. Even try reinstalling Giants. It's possible some of the files are slightly currupted or incomplete.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

le_chiffre wrote:- It crash also in Safe Mode :?
Are all the game files in tact (do you have to legal version of the game)?
le_chiffre
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by le_chiffre »

I don't know if everyone understand correctly my problem. I can play Giants, it plays great in any level. I just can't open the in-game map (default key 'c'), so in some levels I'm kind of lost :? ... it's just a minor problem, but sometimes is annoying....
I had fully installed the game from the original copy
Thank you all for your cooperation
:)
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

well which maps is it on?

Singleplayer?
Multiplayer?
GMM?

GMM may be a bit hard without the map

but the others are pretty easy to understand