Multiplayer game gets really slow

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

orogion
Kabuto's Playtoy

Multiplayer game gets really slow

Post by orogion »

Whenever I want to play Multiplayer my game gets really slow (uncontrollable and annoyingly slow). I don't have that when playing Single Player.
I don't think it's lag. It even occurs when starting a mplayer game on my PC without internet connection.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
Crossmaniak
Yan the Pimp

Post by Crossmaniak »

LAG!..... :roll:
Or its just ur comp wich cant handle giants online :roll:
Devilinhell
Yan the Pimp

Post by Devilinhell »

Do you play through GSA ?
Crossmaniak
Yan the Pimp

Post by Crossmaniak »

GSA r0x!

That's 4 sure

Speccialy when ur a subscriber :P
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Hi Orogion,

Could you please describe your copy of Giants for us. Do you have any skins, patches, maps and or anything else applied to it? Also, please describe your machine specifications.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

I'd also like to ad that on my 1 Ghz comp, the multiplayer is very unstable, it somtimes slows down, freezes for a moment.. But in singleplayer fps is a steady 80.. whilest in multiplayer my fps goes from -20 to 60.. so its very unstable.
thenewbox
Sappho's Henchman

Post by thenewbox »

wow... i have like... the best computer out of all you fools... but i think it may just be cause you have computer problems.. or GSA causes too much computer usage, your 1mhz or w/e processor blows up and melts... go buy yourself a box computer
orogion
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by orogion »

I bought Giants for a give away price. I don't use skins, nor do I have any maps (besides the stuff that came with the game). My game is patched with patch 1.4
My machines specification exceed the max required by a long shot.
I use a GForce Nvidea running on a WinME OS.

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post: Giants did run smooth--with the same computer--before I upgraded my OS from 98 to WinME :-/
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

When ppl want to help but have no idea how, they say: Try re-installing the game.
Try re-installing the game. :wink:
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

ME?! that figures.. my 1Ghz comp also has ME... I think thats whats fu**ing it up.. after all, ME IS THE SHITIEST OS EVER CREATED!! so either install XP, 2000 or 98... At least im planning to get my piece of sh** back to 98.. then it will prolly work fine again.

you actually solved some1 else's problem, whilest u were the one asking for help.. thanks! :D :P
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Some standard things to run through first:

1) Reapplying the 1.4 patch
2) Updating to the latest Nvidia drivers
3) Updating to the latest sound drivers
4) Trying the game in safe mode
thenewbox
Sappho's Henchman

Post by thenewbox »

ME? i have to say that is the worst operating system ever created... i mean... DOS was even cooler :D

Do you know anyone who has the windows XP and or anything other than ME operating system that they can give you to install onto your computer? But like everyone else says, go through the basic procedures, and make sure all your hardware aspects of your computer are running properly. I remember one time not enough power was being sent to each part of my computer (bios errors) and the computer would restart. Also make sure you have no faulty hardware components (if this problem may occur when other programs run also).. but not sure... try reformating your computer :? if you really want to spend the time
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

ME is the worst ever given
98SE is the best for normal users
NT is the most stable one but dont have directx support (or something)
2000 has directx support but it comes 2nd when it comes to stability

Im using 98SE myself, Ill wait untill Longhorn comes out before I switch to XP.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Uh... what?

No. Just no. In case you hadn't noticed, most people in the last uh... three years or so have made the jump from 98 to XP. In fact, a great deal of applications and games don't even support the old 9x kernel anymore (Thief: Deadly Shadows being the most recent one that I can remember), and will only run on 2000/XP/2003.
RichardMH wrote:ME is the worst ever given
That's about the only thing I can agree with in your post. ME was a horrible mistake (Microsoft has even said so).
RichardMH wrote:98SE is the best for normal users
See above. XP has almost completely replaced it on modern desktops, except it seems, in your case.
RichardMH wrote:NT is the most stable one but dont have directx support (or something)
You really have no idea what DirectX is, do you? NT has been all but phased out as it is. Microsoft is officially dropping support for NT 4.0 on December 31st, 2004.
RichardMH wrote: 2000 has directx support but it comes 2nd when it comes to stability
2000 is more stable than NT and has better application support. Again, I really don't think you know what you're talking about here.

Your knowledge here is sadly out of date and I would urge you to stop talking about this before you make a fool out of yourself.
Glude
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Glude »

:/