Screwed Up graphics

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Screwed Up graphics

Post by Dark Designer »

I just reinstalled giants and now all of my graphics are screwed up. I've had this problem before and fixed it twice but i can't seem to do it again. I've tried updating my graphics card drivers my version of direct x is up to date. I have a screen shot of the game but i don't know how to upload a picture to the site.
Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dark Designer »

I think I have an idea about how I fixed it that last time but I forget how to do this or if its an option on giants. Anyways how to you switch between Open GL and Direct 3D.
Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dark Designer »

alright as for that screenshot i think I have a substitute. I posted a screenshot of me problem over at this address

http://www.simple-half-life.150m.com/giants.html
King
Administrator

Post by King »

What exactly is your video card?
Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dark Designer »

King wrote:What exactly is your video card?
ATI Radeon 7000 64 mb pci
King
Administrator

Post by King »

As for what's causing the problem, I don't know. But, you can usually switch between OpenGL and Direct 3d in Giants by starting a game, escaping to options, clicking on graphics and changing the selection.
Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dark Designer »

Nope sorry for some reason it cant be done on my computer its just stuck on direct 3d. I click on it and nothing happens.
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

Could be a failing video card, i would buy a new card to replace that old 7000.
Your ram could also be dying.

If you have correctly installed your game and the drivers, i see no reason why it shouldn't be running fine - besides a hardware issue.

I am not too sure how to switch between OpenGL and Direct3D in gaints, i havent played it for a while, there should either be a startup command or a setting in the game menu.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

did you do a full installation?
Dark Designer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Dark Designer »

RichardMH wrote:did you do a full installation?
Yes it was a complete installation. The cd might be damaged when i was installing it i had to clean it to get it to install. I'd like to replace the video card but I lack an agp slot and i've been trying to replace it but can't save up that much money in a short time id have to wait another 6 months for the mother board and another 6 months after that for a decent graphics card. I know it sucks.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

sorry to hear that :(
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

I don't know what is causing that either.
It could just be a compatability issue between your computers hardware/software and giants.
Try downloading a new version if you think your cd is broken, it should mess up in the install if anything is wrong with it though.
Did you get any CRC errors while installing?

You could try formating your computer and re-installing everything (make sure you back up your data first)
Just install your drivers and necessary programs, then add on giants.
If it runs fine, with no other program installed, then it should just be a software issue.
If it displays the same image while you have the bare minimum of things installed on your computer, i would nail it down to a video card problem.
DniFan
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by DniFan »

Are you crazy or something, he can try to upgrade his Video Drivers. but he don't have to Format his PC
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

lol i have gotten into the habit of telling everyone to format.
He has already updated his graphics drivers.
I assume its a software conflict if he has fixed it before.
Thats why i told him to format then re-install only the vital software/utilities needed.
Then run giants, and if the same thing happens, its probably going to be a hardware problem.
Boom
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Boom »

Mmmm... i feel like formating my pc cuz i just hate those damn ad/spy wares! :evil: But im afraid of doing it cuz i have never done it before. :?