black mecc when skinning

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

black mecc when skinning

Post by STEELIX »

umm guys, i've had this a few times now, but with a skin like this: Image
I get this in game: Image
anyone know why this happens, and how i can solve it? only thing i know for now is just starting over again and hoping it doesnt turn black again :(
MrStabby
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by MrStabby »

probably the wrong colour depth?
Bebiseal
Lord of the Vimps

Post by Bebiseal »

i dont know why your skin is upside down... mine's never are... anyways... try to download the default skin pack from the downloads section of GWD. Place it in Override before editing it. Try it in the game then and see if it is black. If its not you should first make some simple edits to check if its working.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

i always have to put my skins upside down... anyway, its the same colour depth as the normal skin, and this was a direct edit of the original skin...i've had this with lots of skins...actually im amazed none of you guys've had it b4...
Nullpointer
Staff
Staff

Post by Nullpointer »

When making new skins ensure that:

* use image format tga. Depending on your paint program it might not be enough to type .tga after the file name, better: manually select tga from the format drop down list. Save uncompressed TGA only (there must be a check box somewhere).

* the color depth is correct (24 bits per pixel (= true color) or 32 bits per pixel (= true color + alpha channel for transparency).

* width and height are powers of 2 (these are the numbers 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,...). The only exception of this are the startup banners which can have any size.

* don't make images too large. Only few gfx cards support widths and heights greater than 2048
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

uncompressed! thats it! thx a million mate :D
but its weird... some of the skins i save do work, and it seems my painting program does it automatically..

----
i think i get it... when i edit the normal one and just save it, it doesnt automaticaly compress it, since it just saves as the original format, but when i do save as... it automatically switches to compressed :D

heh, a program to quickly test the skins'd be handy...