Crappy framerates on my pc!

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

xoaixanh087
Kabuto's Playtoy

Crappy framerates on my pc!

Post by xoaixanh087 »

Hey guys, new here so hope you guys can help me! Anyways, I'm running a 650 mhz pentium 3 w/ win XP and a 128 meg radeon 9100. I have 'bout 256 megs of ram and it seems i well exceed the min requirements. Anyways, dropping the resolution drastically to 640x480x32 doesn't seem to even help with frame rates at all. I'm not running a SB Live! card either. Herm. Thanks for the help I get.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

You have a nice grahic card so that isnt the problem
Your RAM, if you are using XP any edition you should have atleast 256MB (for the OS alone), so get more...
600mhz isnt much for this game, I experience sh** because of some maps and because some have high ping etc.
I have 2Ghz and I dont know if its enough.
A nice way to get more fps is to drop all the grahic settings (not the top one, otherwise buildings will look weird)
and have a normal resolution. 1024x768 16 or 32 bit...
Its important that you have the same on your desktop as in the game...
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

The minimum requirements are bullshit. 600mhz isn't nearly enough to get a halfway decent framerate.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

I always use 640x480x16, and its enough for me... :oops:
[TO]Semore
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by [TO]Semore »

My god... What kinda vid card do you have O_o
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

radeon 9200... :D
xoaixanh087
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by xoaixanh087 »

You can try overclocking the 9200, just find yourself an oldschool 486 heatsink or something! Anyways, I just got the framerates stable at 1024x768x32, but the game crapifys itself after i quit and load again! Man, any idea how to fix?
King
Administrator

Post by King »

Try running Giants at the same resolution as your desktop.
xoaixanh087
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by xoaixanh087 »

maybe i should be more specific, ha ha. I am running at the same res as desktop but after i quit the game, i started the game over again and tried to load a game. The thing is, the frame rates went from about 45 fps to maybe 3 fps. :cry: I tried loading the game twice, but to no avail. Damn these vengeance bug biting me in my ass.
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

King wrote:Try running Giants at the same resolution as your desktop.
does that really work much? maybe i should try that once :D I mean, im having 1600x1200 on my desktop and 640 480 in giants, bit of a difference eh :D
xoaixanh087 wrote:You can try overclocking the 9200, just find yourself an oldschool 486 heatsink or something!
I'm still a bit scared of overclocking, i'll try that when im older and experiencer :P
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

If you have the same res on both the desktop and in the game the computer dont have to switch between them...
xoaixanh087
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by xoaixanh087 »

What graphics core was the 9200 built off of? I was going to pick the 256 meg from visiontek until i heard that it benches lower than the MX 440s. :shock:
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

You could try installing windows 98 to test it on, im not too sure if that would help, it could be a conflict between giants and a possible setting on your operating system.
Try updating your drivers, upgrading and also downgrading direct x (try going to 9.0b then to 8.0)

Try getting some more ram, what sort is it?
If it is old SD ram, you should upgrade (if the core clock is <266)
I don't recommend overclocking your pcs ram that much, it kinda doesn't like to be overclocked, its easier to ruin than most other parts and it will run a bit hotter.

A 650 is kind of slow, but it should run giants fine. I had it running smoothly on my old pentium 2 350, it was oc'd to a 400.

You COULD try disabling your sound, or try switching it to hardware acceleration, that could possibly give you a slight framerate increase.

Also, i recommend that you set the colour ammount to 16, not 32.
The look of the game doesn't change that much, and it gives you a bit of a preformance gain.

Turn down your view distance.

Try running giants on the lowest settings you can get.

The resoloution doesnt really impact on the frame rate much in giants. Its mainly the other settings in it that do.

You could try overclocking your processor and grahpics card, you can try overclocking your ram also.
Make sure you have at least 25% of your hard drive free and try playing giants under a full install with a no-cd crack applied.

I havent played giants for a while now, i cant really remember most of the settings and stuff, so thats just a random collection of things that may help your framerate.

Oh, try updating your drivers, make sure they are the right ones and make sure they are for XP or whatever you are running.

You could give us some more detailed specifications of your computer also.

If you could, could you take a screenshot of direct x?
Go start > Run > "dxdiag"
Take out the " "
You could try to find some sort of free image host to host the file.

Like i said before, i just wrote this quickly, cause i really badly need to do a pewp.
Ignore any spelling mistakes :P
Baldrick
Yan the Pimp

Post by Baldrick »

xoaixanh087 wrote:You can try overclocking the 9200, just find yourself an oldschool 486 heatsink or something! Anyways, I just got the framerates stable at 1024x768x32, but the game crapifys itself after i quit and load again! Man, any idea how to fix?
Just read that.
What do you mean it crapifys itself?
Shardz
Yan the Pimp

Post by Shardz »

i have my res on like um...the one after 800x600 32 xD :lol:

Still cant record movie's like lolly without having lag though :cry: